THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Could this BMW minidisc player work in a 228i?

07-11-2015, 06:16 AM   #1
ggabriele3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i Msport

Could this BMW minidisc player work in a 228i?

This will sound weird, but I have been getting back into minidiscs lately.
I have no use for the car's CD player....so it's just my digital files, and now minidiscs.

I randomly came across this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/01-02-03-04-...-/351450084755

could this work on some level?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2015, 07:07 PM   #2
configt
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 EB M235i

From tearing apart the dash in my M235i, and looking at the connectors and harnesses back there, I don't think this would work. The two jacks on the back of this don't seem to match up with anything in our car. The picture isn't very good but there seems to be a connector spot/port on the right side..that looks similar to what we have. But again, I don't think this will work.

You are better off just converting the minidisc to MP3 or something.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 10:37 AM   #3
SoCal235
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235

Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 10:56 AM   #4
scottyn
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 228i M-sport THP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggabriele3 View Post
This will sound weird, but I have been getting back into minidiscs lately.
I have no use for the car's CD player....so it's just my digital files, and now minidiscs.

I randomly came across this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/01-02-03-04-...-/351450084755

could this work on some level?
Wow, do people still use these things? I used to love my MDs but switched over to MP3s with the rest of the world. Wondering why you insist on mini-discs though, because I feel like it would be much easier to get a flash drive, put all your files on that, and plug it into the usb port.

But I guess you could get a regular minidisc player and plug it into the aux jack. I may even have one lying around somewhere that you could have...
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 12:18 PM   #5
ggabriele3
Private
Rep

Ok, lemme explain.

My music library is hugely important to me. I subscribe to some streaming services but I've never been the type to just put on Pandora and listen to whatever.

over the years i noticed two trends:
- music has become much more focused on singles and playlists, rather than albums.
- we are used to having our entire music collection - or most of the entire world's music collection - available at all times.

This is great for many reasons, but it also leads to bad listening habits. Music becomes a background thing, not a focus. We don't listen in the Album context. We are always scrolling through for the next song.

So I was cleaning some stuff out of my parents' house and I found my minidisc collection. On a whim, went on eBay and found a player/recorder for like nothing and bought it.

Some testing and recording - they sound really good when you record from digital lossless. They're also small, durable, and they give you that album experience. And now I'm back to playing with minidiscs...not exclusively, of course. Just when I want to listen to music like this.

I don't bother with them in my car because my phone, over USB, is fine. I'm not looking to be totally ridiculous here.

Then while googling I randomly came across a BMW in-dash player....and now it's now.

Btw: if anyone remembers - MP3 didn't win because it was better, it won because it was convenient. Same with streaming services.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 01:31 PM   #6
scottyn
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 228i M-sport THP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggabriele3 View Post
Ok, lemme explain.

My music library is hugely important to me. I subscribe to some streaming services but I've never been the type to just put on Pandora and listen to whatever.

over the years i noticed two trends:
- music has become much more focused on singles and playlists, rather than albums.
- we are used to having our entire music collection - or most of the entire world's music collection - available at all times.

This is great for many reasons, but it also leads to bad listening habits. Music becomes a background thing, not a focus. We don't listen in the Album context. We are always scrolling through for the next song.

So I was cleaning some stuff out of my parents' house and I found my minidisc collection. On a whim, went on eBay and found a player/recorder for like nothing and bought it.

Some testing and recording - they sound really good when you record from digital lossless. They're also small, durable, and they give you that album experience. And now I'm back to playing with minidiscs...not exclusively, of course. Just when I want to listen to music like this.

I don't bother with them in my car because my phone, over USB, is fine. I'm not looking to be totally ridiculous here.

Then while googling I randomly came across a BMW in-dash player....and now it's now.

Btw: if anyone remembers - MP3 didn't win because it was better, it won because it was convenient. Same with streaming services.
Cool, man.

...but you can put hundreds of albums on a flash drive, exclusively in high-quality MP3 or even in lossless files like flac. I think the sound quality is the same as minidisc and it's certainly more convenient (as you already said). Would the car play flac files if you put them on a flash drive and connected it to the USB?

But ultimately, I have no idea to the actual answer to your question about compatibility of that particular component
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 01:48 PM   #7
ggabriele3
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyn View Post
Cool, man.

...but you can put hundreds of albums on a flash drive, exclusively in high-quality MP3 or even in lossless files like flac. I think the sound quality is the same as minidisc and it's certainly more convenient (as you already said). Would the car play flac files if you put them on a flash drive and connected it to the USB?

But ultimately, I have no idea to the actual answer to your question about compatibility of that particular component
sure, I'm aware. I have nearly my entire music library in ALAC, it's available with me. as for sound quality, ATRAC is good, but not lossless. I think it's about the quality of a 292kbps mp3.

but anyway, that's not the point. I just don't happen to have any use for the CD player in the car, but I could kinda have a use for the minidisc, so I was wondering if it was possible.
Appreciate 1