THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics pls help me build a good sound system

06-14-2015, 12:51 AM   #1
M2withACC
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2

Wink pls help me build a good sound system

I have a 235i with the HiFi 7 speakers setup. I have replaced the stock speakers with H/K speakers while maintaining stock amp.

1. h/k 1 center speaker, 1 center tweeter
2. h/k 2 tweeters
3. h/k 2 mids

I think the mid and lower bass doesn't sound very good now. So as the H/K speakers. I am looking for something decent. Should I get JL600 as it seems quite popular on this forum. Does it fit the stock amp location? I am thinking to get new speakers as well. Will this effect the Active Sound from the exhaust?

Btw, I have 2 SWS 8X with technic's adapter sitting in my garage.

p.s I assume the F80/F82 speaker sizes/location are similar so when I sell the 235i one day. I could easily move them on the new car?!

Please chime in

many thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 03:14 PM   #2
proflex957
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330ci ZHP, M235

Hard to believe after paying for this upgrade, people are still dumping $$$$ to make it better.....sad.

I was totally pissed how lame the HK sound system in my m235i is compared to my '04 330Ci with HK that I drive Mon-Fri.

The only benefit of the m235 HK over my '04 car is I can easily put in my iPod with USB and get my playlists. Other than that, it's a lame sound system.

I'm not wasting any more $$$$ trying to make it sound better.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2015, 03:57 PM   #3
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by proflex957 View Post
Hard to believe after paying for this upgrade, people are still dumping $$$$ to make it better.....sad.

I was totally pissed how lame the HK sound system in my m235i is compared to my '04 330Ci with HK that I drive Mon-Fri.

The only benefit of the m235 HK over my '04 car is I can easily put in my iPod with USB and get my playlists. Other than that, it's a lame sound system.

I'm not wasting any more $$$$ trying to make it sound better.
Thing is, he's not asking you why you're not willing to make yours better; He's asking for help to make his better. So help the OP instead of using his honest question as an opportunity to whine ...

OP: You've replaced the base Hi-Fi speakers with the ones from the OEM HK upgrade? In other words: you didn't opt for the HK upgrade at the factory?

The SWS 8X sub upgrade will help (they should fit with minimal fuss) as long as you've got the 2-ohm version. But they won't cover up the stock Hi-Fi stereo's biggest weakness: very attenuated low mids. This is where the 600/6 comes in; it gets rid of the stock amp's DSP biasing, which is specifically designed to cover up the stock speakers' weaknesses (and there are many). Thing is, if you install a 600/6, those 2-ohm 8Xs will be L-O-U-D and way out of balance with the rest of the system. You'd need the 4-ohm 8Xi version in that case -- or better yet, a low-mid woofer like those made by Jehnert.

If you go the 600/6 route, the ASD will be eliminated because it's built in to the stock amp -- and there's speculation that M235is made in March 2015 or later have had it removed completely. We're all still waiting for verification of that.
Appreciate 1
      06-17-2015, 08:10 AM   #4
Numinous
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235 EBII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
Thing is, he's not asking you why you're not willing to make yours better; He's asking for help to make his better. So help the OP instead of using his honest question as an opportunity to whine ...

OP: You've replaced the base Hi-Fi speakers with the ones from the OEM HK upgrade? In other words: you didn't opt for the HK upgrade at the factory?

The SWS 8X sub upgrade will help (they should fit with minimal fuss) as long as you've got the 2-ohm version. But they won't cover up the stock Hi-Fi stereo's biggest weakness: very attenuated low mids. This is where the 600/6 comes in; it gets rid of the stock amp's DSP biasing, which is specifically designed to cover up the stock speakers' weaknesses (and there are many). Thing is, if you install a 600/6, those 2-ohm 8Xs will be L-O-U-D and way out of balance with the rest of the system. You'd need the 4-ohm 8Xi version in that case -- or better yet, a low-mid woofer like those made by Jehnert.

If you go the 600/6 route, the ASD will be eliminated because it's built in to the stock amp -- and there's speculation that M235is made in March 2015 or later have had it removed completely. We're all still waiting for verification of that.
I think I can help with this. I picked up my m235 last week from the dealer. Ordered mid April.

Short story is I believe I still have ASD.

I did the test in my driveway. Start in comfort mode with car in park, rev to 3000, and change mode to sport. Definitely changes noise level in the cabin. Kind of dissappointing to me personally as I now need to take that into account with upgrading the audio system.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2015, 10:42 PM   #5
Tomahawk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328I MSport

get rid of the h/k speakers. get the bsw front stage, and put back the oem rear speakers and get one of the dsp/amp upgrades out there. for simplicity get the rebranded helix from bimmertech or the MS8
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2015, 10:47 PM   #6
Tomahawk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

better yet, just put the oem back in and add either the Helix of MS8. You might be surprised. Then add trunk sub. Good chance you will be happy.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2015, 03:15 PM   #7
sputman
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i xDrive + '21 Z4 M40i

Just a word of warning if using a signal processor, you may get echoes when using your phone over Bluetooth.

This happened in a previous vehicle that I installed an MS8 in. The people on the other end would always complain about an echo.

It's caused by the vehicles built in echo cancellation routines and the time delay the signal processor introduces.

That's why I stuck with just an amp this time, otherwise I would have used a signal processor... It's pretty amazing what they can do!
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2015, 08:21 PM   #8
Tomahawk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Bluetooth echo is a pretty simple issue to resolve, if it rears its ugly head.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2015, 08:22 PM   #9
Tomahawk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numinous
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post

I think I can help with this. I picked up my m235 last week from the dealer. Ordered mid April.

Short story is I believe I still have ASD.

I did the test in my driveway. Start in comfort mode with car in park, rev to 3000, and change mode to sport. Definitely changes noise level in the cabin. Kind of dissappointing to me personally as I now need to take that into account with upgrading the audio system.
that's probably attributed to Sport mode opening exhaust flap.
Appreciate 0