THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Sport + with 8 speed auto

02-22-2015, 03:53 PM   #1
cgeaves
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M235i

Sport + with 8 speed auto

Forgive me if this has been covered but I've searched the forum and my owner's manual for an answer with no luck. Does sport + automatically put you in manual mode? In sport I can stomp on it and the tranny will upshift automatically right at redline to the next gear. In sport + the tranny does NOT upshift unless I physically do it with the paddles or by moving over into manual mode with the console shifter and upshifting that way. Is this normal?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 04:18 PM   #2
augerpro
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235i, Nissan 370Z

That's not normal. When you go to sport+ what does the gear indicator show?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 04:47 PM   #3
cgeaves
Enlisted Member
Rep

Not sure but I'll check and let you know.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 05:16 PM   #4
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Sport+ = Sport + DTC on ....

transmission - throttle response is the same for both modes
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 05:21 PM   #5
sstarrx3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i Mineral White/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
Sport+ = Sport + DTC on ....

transmission - throttle response is the same for both modes
I was under the impression that DTC is on in both sport and sport +, but in sport + DSC is off. In order to turn DTC off you have to use the button.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 06:18 PM   #6
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

No.... in sport the full DSC is active... in sport+ DTC is on....
Sometimes people confuse what DTC on means... DTC is a less intrusive version of DSC

Also above 31mph DTC gets deactivated automatically.... so basically in sport+ over 31mph all DSC functions are off (eDiff on)

The other way to get DSC off is to hold 5 secs in which it goes into a mode on itself that's different from sport or sport+ that is: DSC fully off (eDiff on) with sport suspension, louder exhaust but comfort throttle response
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 06:53 PM   #7
sstarrx3
Captain
Rep

I probably would not want DSC fully off on the street would I? Sounds dangerous on such a tourque car!
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 06:58 PM   #8
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstarrx3 View Post
I probably would not want DSC fully off on the street would I? Sounds dangerous on such a tourque car!
probably not... specially if damp....

also always remember that DTC gets deactivated above 31mph.... so in Sport+ over 31mph you are actually driving with DSC OFF
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 07:50 PM   #9
sstarrx3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
probably not... specially if damp....

also always remember that DTC gets deactivated above 31mph.... so in Sport+ over 31mph you are actually driving with DSC OFF
Yeah...I never use Sport+, just Comfort and Sport.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 08:56 PM   #10
quiksilver1029
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i Mineral White M-Sport

Garage List
I'm pretty sure the question the OP is asking is more about the transmission than about DTC vs DSC...debating that topic is something we could get stuck on all day.

While in Sport+ mode, if the gear lever is to the left and you start manually shifting, be it with the paddle shifters or the gear lever, the car will not downshift for you if you push the gas pedal all the way down (and I mean all the way, pressing that button after full throttle). Inversely, the car will also not upshift for you at the redline. This is because manual shifting in Sport+ mode is really meant for being on the track when you want to be in full control of the transmission and not have it make the 'optimal shifts' for you. I find Sport mode to be the best choice on the city/highway when sometimes you want to make a quick change, you floor it and the car will automatically put in the optimal gear, and can shift through several gears at once, sometimes going from M8 to M5 or whatever.

Is that the question you were having?

2015 F22 Mineral White Metallic M-Sport 228i
2007 E92 Sparkling Graphite Metallic 328i
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 09:02 PM   #11
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiksilver1029 View Post
I'm pretty sure the question the OP is asking is more about the transmission than about DTC vs DSC...debating that topic is something we could get stuck on all day.

While in Sport+ mode, if the gear lever is to the left and you start manually shifting, be it with the paddle shifters or the gear lever, the car will not downshift for you if you push the gas pedal all the way down (and I mean all the way, pressing that button after full throttle). Inversely, the car will also not upshift for you at the redline. This is because manual shifting in Sport+ mode is really meant for being on the track when you want to be in full control of the transmission and not have it make the 'optimal shifts' for you. I find Sport mode to be the best choice on the city/highway when sometimes you want to make a quick change, you floor it and the car will automatically put in the optimal gear, and can shift through several gears at once, sometimes going from M8 to M5 or whatever.

Is that the question you were having?
if transmission is in Manual mode (M not DS) it will not upshift or downshift while accelerating regardless of the mode you are in.... comfort, sport or sport+
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 09:05 PM   #12
Killramos
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '19 M2 '21 X5

Garage List
Fun fact, activating cruise control knocks you out of sport+ down to sport as well.

I find that if you use sport/sport+ and keep the transmission in D the Rpms tend to linger real high when coming off throttle within 2000 rpm of redline. S mode fixes that mostly. Quite irritating.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 09:12 PM   #13
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killramos View Post
Fun fact, activating cruise control knocks you out of sport+ down to sport as well.

I find that if you use sport/sport+ and keep the transmission in D the Rpms tend to linger real high when coming off throttle within 2000 rpm of redline. S mode fixes that mostly. Quite irritating.
Yes, cruise control will do that as well as low tire pressure will not let you go into sport+

if you are in sport (with drivetrain enabled) or sport+ the transmission is already in sport mode
putting the lever to the left in sport (with drivetrain enabled) or sport+ does nothing but to momentarily downshift 1 gear.... a few moments later it will upshift again
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 09:17 PM   #14
quiksilver1029
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
if transmission is in Manual mode (M not DS) it will not upshift or downshift while accelerating regardless of the mode you are in.... comfort, sport or sport+
That's not the case in my car. If in Manual mode and in Comfort or Sport, the car upshifts for me at redline and downshifts if I am in too high a gear for the speed I am telling the car I want to go. Just went for a drive to re-test my assertion. I can post a video tomorrow when the sun is out if you want.

I know you've coded your car to the max, maybe thats something that got modified. Or maybe the 228i transmission is different than the M235i?

Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 09:22 PM   #15
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Ok I'll double check.... usually I don't redline mine much and as far as I knew the only diff with sport+ was DTC... but if you say you have checked this, i believe you, then maybe only M in sport+ has the auto upshift disabled....

No I don't think this is something can be coded... also I think 228 and M235 share the same auto transmission

oh well... time for a test drive......you learn something new everyday

Last edited by pikcachu; 02-22-2015 at 09:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 09:30 PM   #16
quiksilver1029
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Ok I'll double check.... usually I don't redline mine much and as far as I knew the only diff with sport+ was DTC... but if you say you have checked this, i believe you, then maybe only M in sport+ has the auto upshift disabled....

No I don't think this is something can be coded... also I think 228 and M235 share the same auto transmission

you learn something new everyday
Yea go for a drive and let me know your results. Replication is the key to the scientific method haha. So yea as far as I'm concerned the real only difference between Sport and Sport+ is the auto shifting (on top of the instant enabling of DTC and disabling of CC). Which in my opinion explains why they added the Sport+ mode in the first place and not just have you put it in Sport mode and also press the DSC off button.

Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 09:40 PM   #17
hoppy6698
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i, Estoril Blue on Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiksilver1029 View Post
If in Manual mode and in Comfort or Sport, the car upshifts for me at redline and downshifts if I am in too high a gear for the speed I am telling the car I want to go.
Very odd. I have noted the same as Pika.

In Manual mode (any setting), the 8AT will not shift up or down unless told. In Sport or Sport +, left in auto, the car will run to redline and shift aggressively.

I would suggest a visit to a dealer?
      02-22-2015, 09:47 PM   #18
quiksilver1029
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy6698 View Post
Very odd. I have noted the same as Pika.

In Manual mode (any setting), the 8AT will not shift up or down unless told. In Sport or Sport +, left in auto, the car will run to redline and shift aggressively.

I would suggest a visit to a dealer?
Lol why would I take it to the dealer if by putting it in Sport or Comfort it's doing me the favor of shifting into the correct gear for max acceleration instead of me having to waste time downshifting one, two, three, etc gears / attempt to calculate what the optimal RPM for that speed is, or have my engine sputter at redline because I forgot to upshift. Especially on a straight run.

If I was on the track, then yes I would keep it use Sport+ exclusively because you want to keep it in certain gears and RPMs around the corners, but for street use the auto shifting (even while in manual mode) is an excellent feature, and distinguishes Sport from Sport+.

If you're suggesting there is a bug in my brand new car's transmission software, then I'll keep it that way.

Can we please get more people onboard to replicate this. I am truly curious now.

Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 10:14 PM   #19
quiksilver1029
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Afterall, this 'bug' was the ultimate reason I decided to go with the 8AT over the 6MT. I went for the 6MT on my E92 because the 0-60 times on that were better than the Auto SMG they had in 2007. Come 2015, BMW really stepped up their game on the F22's auto transmission and made the 0-60 times faster for the 8AT than 6MT. So I figured, if on his best launch BMW's best test pilot can't even beat the 8AT, on which the 0-60 time will essentially always be the same, I would never be able to beat it either. So when I test drove the F22 and got a feel for the nuances between 8AT's Eco Pro, Comfort, Sport, and Sport+ there was really no going back to the dinosaur which is 6MT. There is no comparison between the 8AT's abilities to automatically downshift through several gears, and upshift at the optimal RMP versus a 6MT where you first have to push the clutch in, enter your desired gear, and then smoothly pull the clutch out and engage that gear. I guess we have reached the age where computers are better than humans lol, and for that there is a point of no return.

This is just my indivdual opinion, and in no way am I bashing 6MT, I loved every second of it on my E92, but I was immediately won over by the F22's 8AT...bugs and all haha

Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 11:50 PM   #20
MG 228i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 m40i, 340i 6MT, i3S

In manual mode and sport mode, my car will shift up at redline (full throttle).
It will only downshift when I come to a stop and fail to downshift.

Replicating the same situation above, but in sport+ mode, it will not shift up and the car will feel like it fell on its face.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 01:08 AM   #21
quiksilver1029
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG 228i View Post
In manual mode and sport mode, my car will shift up at redline (full throttle).
It will only downshift when I come to a stop and fail to downshift.

Replicating the same situation above, but in sport+ mode, it will not shift up and the car will feel like it fell on its face.
Exactly! Which can be dangerous at times in traffic if you need the extra power that comes with being in the right gear. That's why I think Sport+ is really meant for the situations when you can precisely anticipate which gear you will need to be in (AKA a track), or when you simply don't want it to upshift/downshift for you, so you can keep it in a specific gear, and enjoy going through the powerband while essentially sacrificing acceleration (it can be nice to hear the distinct ways the engine sounds in the different gears through the entire powerband).

But you say it will only downshift when you come to a stop...Now try this scenario, in manual mode while in Sport or Comfort mode with high gear at a low RPM and speed, lets say M6 or M7 at 55 mph, go past full throttle and hold it there and it should shift automatically shift into M3 so that you can get the maximum power. The key for this to work is to push the button beyond the end of the gas pedal. You know, the one that also activates launch control.

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 02:01 AM   #22
moldcad
Major
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgeaves View Post
Forgive me if this has been covered but I've searched the forum and my owner's manual for an answer with no luck. Does sport + automatically put you in manual mode? In sport I can stomp on it and the tranny will upshift automatically right at redline to the next gear. In sport + the tranny does NOT upshift unless I physically do it with the paddles or by moving over into manual mode with the console shifter and upshifting that way. Is this normal?
This is normal, and very desirable. Imagine you're drifting with rpm close to the redline, and your car stability / your safety depends on how precise you're with the throttle; would you like the tranny to upshift for you? The whole idea of using paddles in Manual (Sport) mode is that you are solely responsible for that!

As to another post about DTC switching off above certain speed: it doesn't mean it gets you into DSC off mode, but to the contrary: it turns all nannies back on (i.e. DSC ON, DTC OFF). This way you're protected above the certain speed threshold; remember that DTC on is mainly for allowing *some* wheel spin on loose surface for better acceleration/traction; when the car already have the momentum and you don't explicitly turn off the nannies by the long button press, you're reverted back to normal (i.e. protected) mode.
my RWD pirate & long-distance cruiser: 2015 M235i AT8, LSD
Appreciate 0