THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Loudspeakers or sun pack

02-18-2015, 06:12 PM   #1
2seriescoupeuk
Rep
Drives: Honda Civic

Loudspeakers or sun pack

Hello guys,
Great forum loving going through the sections.

As the title suggests - I need some help choosing between the sun protection pack and the loudspeaker option. I'm getting a company car and have chosen a 2 series but when adding my options I can only go up to a certain price and it's come down to one of these has to go.

Are the standard speakers good enough? I like my music as much as the next person but I'm assuming the standard speakers are probably decent? If they are naff please advise and it will make the choice easy, if they are fairly decent I may go for the thints.

Thanks in advanced.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 06:31 PM   #2
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2seriescoupeuk View Post
Hello guys,

As the title suggests - I need some help choosing between the sun protection pack and the loudspeaker option. I'm getting a company car and have chosen a 2 series but when adding my options I can only go up to a certain price and it's come down to one of these has to go.

Are the standard speakers good enough? I like my music as much as the next person but I'm assuming the standard speakers are probably decent? If they are naff please advise and it will make the choice easy, if they are fairly decent I may go for the thints.

Thanks in advanced.
Never heard of a sun protection pack or saw it on the BMW build site. What is that, please?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 06:44 PM   #3
2seriescoupeuk
Rep

Hello,
It's basically tinted read windows - I do think it makes the car look better
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 06:46 PM   #4
sstarrx3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i Mineral White/Terra

If you are an audiophile you will think the stock speakers are shit...but honestly I thought about upgrading my door speakers and back deck speakers but have since decided the stock is not too bad. I had to fool around with the treble and bass to get it where I like it but its decent sound now.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 07:23 PM   #5
sikhnerd
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i

Honestly I don't think the audio upgrade is worth it, after hearing both I can say they are equally terrible.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 07:25 PM   #6
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Hello,
It's basically tinted read windows - I do think it makes the car look better
In that case, as the speakers are built-in at the plant, and you can have the window tint film applied anytime by a local shop, why not order with the speakers, stay under your company price limit, and if you want tint once the car arrives, just have it installed later? Installing speakers is more intrusive after the fact than having tint film applied.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 08:04 PM   #7
quiksilver1029
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i Mineral White M-Sport

Garage List
Yea get the tint you want (I recommend the Llumar CTX) once you've taken delivery of the car. The Harmon Kardon is not the best system in the world but they do sound really good, especially if you're listening to lossless or high bitrate audio then the HK sounds excellent. It's huge step above the stock speakers that obnoxiously clip all the time...most of all when listening to highly compressed audio files.

How you do usually listen to music? FM Radio, Sirius/XM Radio, CD/DVD, MP3 via USB, MP3 via Bluetooth, or AUX? It really makes a difference if you have a good source file and connect it via USB or store it in the cars memory.

And I agree with what Sportstick said, you don't want to take apart your brand new car just to install an aftermarket sound system unless you're really into that sort of thing. Especially if it's going to be a lease.

2015 F22 Mineral White Metallic M-Sport 228i
2007 E92 Sparkling Graphite Metallic 328i
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 08:51 PM   #8
BMW335iOn18s
Resident BMW Fanboy
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 CS SMB

Are you upgrading to Hi-Fi or H/K? I'd upgrade regardless actually..
      02-18-2015, 09:18 PM   #9
2msport
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 228 MT

I agree with them. Get the speakers. It will be easier to add tint later. The HK's are not bad especially with a high quality source. Definitely try and get extended USB so you can get good sound out of your phone
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 07:22 AM   #10
2seriescoupeuk
Rep

Thanks for the input guys, thinking about it logically like you have all said, adding/removing after market tints is going to be a whole lot easier.

Upgraded speakers it is!

Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 07:57 AM   #11
Killramos
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '19 M2 '21 X5

Garage List
One thing to consider is that factory tint is 100% legal whereas aftermarket can cause you issues if installed on the side windows. At least where i am from.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 09:52 AM   #12
uberspeed
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
In that case, as the speakers are built-in at the plant, and you can have the window tint film applied anytime by a local shop, why not order with the speakers, stay under your company price limit, and if you want tint once the car arrives, just have it installed later? Installing speakers is more intrusive after the fact than having tint film applied.
Sound advice
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 02:03 PM   #13
2seriescoupeuk
Rep

Placed my order today - waiting for conformation and then the big long wait...

Thanks again for the advice all
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 04:41 PM   #14
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Good choice on the speakers. Nobody here has even thought to clue in on the fact that you're in the UK, which probably gets the base stereo, not the base HIFI that we get standard here in the US, making what you get even that much worse. It goes base, base HiFi, HK, etc.
      02-19-2015, 04:45 PM   #15
2seriescoupeuk
Rep

Ok, thanks that makes my choice even more worth while!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 09:47 PM   #16
chaswyck1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i Valencia Orange

Quote:
Hello guys,

Thanks in advanced.
I also think Sportstick's advice is good. Getting your windows tinted after you get the car is easy and much cheaper that upgrading the sound. I don't know what "naff" means, but in the context in which you use it it sound like it means "shitty". If that's the case, the base (and the Hi-Fi) sound systems (and I use the phrase "sound system" loosely) is NAFF. I have an appointment for next week to upgrade my sound system at a cost of about $1,500 because I can't stand to listen to music in my car. So yes, NAFF.
Appreciate 0