THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Comments on Eton Plug & Play Speakers

02-29-2016, 06:18 AM   #1
selmeralto
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

Comments on Eton Plug & Play Speakers

The German speaker company Eton makes a plug & play speaker system for the doors, including the 10 cm door drivers and the sail panel tweeters.

As forum member Grave has shown in another thread, they look to be very easy to install.

I'd be interested in hearing from members who have installed the Eton speakers. If possible can you comment on the linearity of the sound overall and in particular whether the Eton tweeters correct the nasty sound of the HK tweeters? Also, can you mention the other components in your audio setup?

Many thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 11:46 AM   #2
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by selmeralto View Post
The German speaker company Eton makes a plug & play speaker system for the doors, including the 10 cm door drivers and the sail panel tweeters.

As forum member Grave has shown in another thread, they look to be very easy to install.

I'd be interested in hearing from members who have installed the Eton speakers. If possible can you comment on the linearity of the sound overall and in particular whether the Eton tweeters correct the nasty sound of the HK tweeters? Also, can you mention the other components in your audio setup?

Many thanks.
Just glanced at the product. I'm not impressed:
- The kit doesn't include the rear speakers -- really an oversight since there are cutouts for tweeter mounts already in the rear deck.
- The kit includes the center channel (meh)
- The kit doesn't account for how to mount the tweeters. Maybe it assumes the use of the HK sail panel (or Alpine sail panel in the EU)?
- The kit's tweeters are soft cellulose domes; this probably means they're not Mylar (since that's not stated specifically) and are thus a relatively low-cost design. They will be less harsh, but probably not as good as those from other makers.
- The website makes no mention of the materials used in the woofers. By the looks of them, it's ridge-reinforced coated paper that isn't the same as any of Eton's standalone drivers. Not a good sign.
- The subs are of the same sealed active-passive design as the OEM subs, and uses coated paper membranes; not exactly ideal for a sub.

Personally, I wouldn't opt for this kit. Yes it's probably better than OEM, but not by all that much.
Appreciate 1
      02-29-2016, 12:34 PM   #3
selmeralto
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
Just glanced at the product. I'm not impressed:
- The kit doesn't include the rear speakers -- really an oversight since there are cutouts for tweeter mounts already in the rear deck.
- The kit includes the center channel (meh)
- The kit doesn't account for how to mount the tweeters. Maybe it assumes the use of the HK sail panel (or Alpine sail panel in the EU)?
- The kit's tweeters are soft cellulose domes; this probably means they're not Mylar (since that's not stated specifically) and are thus a relatively low-cost design. They will be less harsh, but probably not as good as those from other makers.
- The website makes no mention of the materials used in the woofers. By the looks of them, it's ridge-reinforced coated paper that isn't the same as any of Eton's standalone drivers. Not a good sign.
- The subs are of the same sealed active-passive design as the OEM subs, and uses coated paper membranes; not exactly ideal for a sub.

Personally, I wouldn't opt for this kit. Yes it's probably better than OEM, but not by all that much.
Ouch. Not a good start.

Just to be sure we're talking about the same system, I was looking at http://www.extremeaudio.de/gb/eton-b...n-b-100-w.html which doesn't supply a center speaker. (The woofer reference is just to an optional Eton woofer that can be purchased independently.) In any case, and unfortunately, the specs in the link above look like what you're describing.

Yes, it's true it's only for the front doors: two 10 cm drivers and two tweeters (drop-ins for the sail panel). I know it's not such a good idea to mix speaker manufacturers in front v. rear. But I am so tired of the HK system, especially the tweeters, I thought the doors-only change would make a difference I could live with.

There's also the matter of price. I considered the Focal IFBMW-S but at over $500 for the fronts only and after having sunk $850 into the HK I was getting both sticker shock and buyer's remorse. The Etons, at about $250 seemed a little easier to justify.

I know Bavsound is supposed to be working on a kit but I've searched the forum and see that they have been saying a release is due for a long time.

If not Etons, Focal, or Bavsound, any other suggestions?

P.S. I'm looking for components that I can install w/o a lot of work. The Etons fit that requirement.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 02:26 PM   #4
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ouch. Not a good start.

Just to be sure we're talking about the same system, I was looking at http://www.extremeaudio.de/gb/eton-b...n-b-100-w.html which doesn't supply a center speaker. (The woofer reference is just to an optional Eton woofer that can be purchased independently.) In any case, and unfortunately, the specs in the link above look like what you're describing.

Yes, it's true it's only for the front doors: two 10 cm drivers and two tweeters (drop-ins for the sail panel). I know it's not such a good idea to mix speaker manufacturers in front v. rear. But I am so tired of the HK system, especially the tweeters, I thought the doors-only change would make a difference I could live with.

There's also the matter of price. I considered the Focal IFBMW-S but at over $500 for the fronts only and after having sunk $850 into the HK I was getting both sticker shock and buyer's remorse. The Etons, at about $250 seemed a little easier to justify.

I know Bavsound is supposed to be working on a kit but I've searched the forum and see that they have been saying a release is due for a long time.

If not Etons, Focal, or Bavsound, any other suggestions?

P.S. I'm looking for components that I can install w/o a lot of work. The Etons fit that requirement.
Yeah, I was looking at Eton's Upgrade Auto microsite here. There you can see the full intended kit for the 2-series (which the extremeaudio.de site isn't; that's a 3-series kit you linked to.)

Some interesting discrepancies between what extremeaudio.de offers and what Eton says should be offered:
- The image of the woofers and tweeters is the same in both places
- The subwoofer is included in the extremeaudio kit though it is not pictured (Untersitzwoofer = under-seat woofer)
- extremeaudio.de does give some specs, though it's plainly an autotranslation and contradicts some of what the Eton microsite says, particularly about the tweeters (celluloid vs fabric for the dome material, for instance) and woofer cone material (celluloid ... which I doubt, but it could be the case). Also, the speakers have a relatively low sensitivity measure (86.5 dB); they will be nowhere near as loud as OEM.

I'd personally like to hear impressions from someone who's installed these. You might look through the F30 forums to see if anyone's done that with a 3-series. For $250 (Do double check to see if that's per side or for both sides; extremeaudio.de isn't clear on that), it may be worth a try.
Appreciate 1
      02-29-2016, 02:32 PM   #5
selmeralto
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, I was looking at Eton's Upgrade Auto microsite here. There you can see the full intended kit for the 2-series (which the extremeaudio.de site isn't; that's a 3-series kit you linked to.)

Some interesting discrepancies between what extremeaudio.de offers and what Eton says should be offered:
- The image of the woofers and tweeters is the same in both places
- The subwoofer is included in the extremeaudio kit though it is not pictured (Untersitzwoofer = under-seat woofer)
- extremeaudio.de does give some specs, though it's plainly an autotranslation and contradicts some of what the Eton microsite says, particularly about the tweeters (celluloid vs fabric for the dome material, for instance) and woofer cone material (celluloid ... which I doubt, but it could be the case). Also, the speakers have a relatively low sensitivity measure (86.5 dB); they will be nowhere near as loud as OEM.

I'd personally like to hear impressions from someone who's installed these. You might look through the F30 forums to see if anyone's done that with a 3-series. For $250 (Do double check to see if that's per side or for both sides; extremeaudio.de isn't clear on that), it may be worth a try.
Good find. Thanks.

Grave has them and likes them. I'll do some more research.

Or I might just give them a try.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 02:52 PM   #6
selmeralto
Lieutenant
Rep

... and regarding the subwoofer, they say,

Basslautsprecher B 150 USB, ein Untersitzwoofer, der mit
seinem großen Magnetantrieb für ein volles Klangvolumen sorgt.
Der erstklassige Sound und die unkomplizierte Montage, inklusive der
vollständigen Rückrüstbarkeit der Türsysteme machen diese ETON
Systeme zu einer smarten Plug & Play Lösung für BMW-Fahrzeuge.

My German is pretty bad but it could be taken to mean that the Eton subwoofer *would* make for a complete plug and play solution.

In any case, I've written to Extremeaudio to ask what exactly one gets for the 199 Euros. Will report when I learn more.

Danke sehr.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 03:02 PM   #7
selmeralto
Lieutenant
Rep

I just came across this thread:

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1180819

which contains a picture of the box the B100W comes in. Sure looks like the box contains a pair of mid-ranges and a pair of tweeters.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 03:15 PM   #8
selmeralto
Lieutenant
Rep

Oh hell. I just ordered the damn things. Let's see what happens.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 03:52 PM   #9
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Oh hell. I just ordered the damn things. Let's see what happens.
Ok ... but in that thread with Grave's post, take a close look at the Eton box. It states (emphasis added in bold font):
- 100 mm midrange speaker with saturated paper membrane = BAD
- 25mm silk dome tweeter = potentially good
- Frequency response: 100-6000Hz = WTF?!?! Must be for the midrange driver only ... I hope
- Impedance: 4 ohms (also on the sticker on the midrange's magnet. However, the midrange speakers depicted by both extremeaudio.de and Eton are 8 ohms: which makes sense if they are run in parallel with 8-ohm tweeters. If these speakers operate with a combined ohmage other than 4 ohms, you will have problems.

Keep in mind that Grave lives in France and has a EU-spec car, which may have significant electrical differences than our cars. I don't know for sure. At the least, we know the subs on a U.S.-spec HK car are 8 ohms and are wired in series to operate off of one channel, whereas on a U.S. HiFi they are 2 ohms and are wired onto separate channels.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 04:09 PM   #10
selmeralto
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Ok ... but in that thread with Grave's post, take a close look at the Eton box. It states (emphasis added in bold font):
- 100 mm midrange speaker with saturated paper membrane = BAD
- 25mm silk dome tweeter = potentially good
- Frequency response: 100-6000Hz = WTF?!?! Must be for the midrange driver only ... I hope
- Impedance: 4 ohms (also on the sticker on the midrange's magnet. However, the midrange speakers depicted by both extremeaudio.de and Eton are 8 ohms: which makes sense if they are run in parallel with 8-ohm tweeters. If these speakers operate with a combined ohmage other than 4 ohms, you will have problems.

Keep in mind that Grave lives in France and has a EU-spec car, which may have significant electrical differences than our cars. I don't know for sure. At the least, we know the subs on a U.S.-spec HK car are 8 ohms and are wired in series to operate off of one channel, whereas on a U.S. HiFi they are 2 ohms and are wired onto separate channels.
Nuts. Well, they're on their way.

The paper cones I can deal with and I can only assume that the 6,000 Hz top end is for the mid-range. The extremeaudio site says

Wiedergabebereich: 100 - 22000 Hz

But what you say about the ohmage issue worries me. Will I do damage if I connect and fire them up?
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 04:18 PM   #11
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Nuts. Well, they're on their way.

The paper cones I can deal with and I can only assume that the 6,000 Hz top end is for the mid-range. The extremeaudio site says

Wiedergabebereich: 100 - 22000 Hz

But what you say about the ohmage issue worries me. Will I do damage if I connect and fire them up?
Just make sure that 4-ohm rating is for both the midrange and the tweeter -- not just the midrange. It may be that the speakers are labeled differently now. If it's a kit specifically for the HK in the 2-series, you should be OK.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 04:23 PM   #12
selmeralto
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Just make sure that 4-ohm rating is for both the midrange and the tweeter -- not just the midrange. It may be that the speakers are labeled differently now. If it's a kit specifically for the HK in the 2-series, you should be OK.
Thanks, I'll check for this. I appreciate the advice. You may be getting another note here after the speakers arrive ...

On the positive side, if this works out we may have a relatively inexpensive way to bring the HK speaker system up to at least the level of mediocrity, if not higher.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 04:44 AM   #13
Grave
Private
France
Rep
Drives: 220D M-Sport

Hi,

No, we have exactly same equipments but three levels in european cars
- European base with no center speaker and no amp : not present in USA
- Hifi = Base US
- European HK = US HK

on HK subs are also on separate channels. It's only with base that subs are coupled with front doors but in parellel not in serie. Base is a good option to change everything.

Extremeaudio.de : you can change language.

The kit is only for the two front doors but you also could take one for rear speakers because your car has HK. If you really want to change rear, consider the ISC100 used by Viffermike. it's a cheaper solution but close tweeters emplacments with some material and change plugs.

Eton sells subs : B150 is the old one, new is B195 but it's more expensive and you could get some other material for lower price directly in USA : Crutchfield or Sonic...

some reading in German :
http://www.eton-gmbh.com/fileadmin/u..._Screen_03.pdf
(use google translate or other...)

And of course, i don't sell anything, i only don't support to pay twice the price for any material.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 06:01 AM   #14
selmeralto
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grave View Post
Hi,

- Hifi = Base US
- European HK = US HK

on HK subs are also on separate channels. It's only with base that subs are coupled with front doors but in parellel not in serie. Base is a good option to change everything.

The kit is only for the two front doors but you also could take one for rear speakers because your car has HK. If you really want to change rear, consider the ISC100 used by Viffermike. it's a cheaper solution but close tweeters emplacments with some material and change plugs.

Eton sells subs : B150 is the old one, new is B195 but it's more expensive and you could get some other material for lower price directly in USA : Crutchfield or Sonic...

some reading in German :

And of course, i don't sell anything, i only don't support to pay twice the price for any material.
That's great information. Thanks, Grave.

I've also had confirmation from Extremeaudio that the set includes 2 mid-ranges and 2 tweeters, so it could be quite the bargain. I was especially pleased to see in the German article good marks given for "transparency" and "neutrality." The package will be delivered by DHL which is an excellent carrier. I look forward to installing and trying them out.

Last edited by selmeralto; 03-01-2016 at 06:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 11:37 AM   #15
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grave View Post
- Hifi = Base US
- European HK = US HK

some reading in German :

Ah, thanks for the clarification on the subs. However, since the subs are 8 ohms each on the HK, they must run in parallel from a separate channel to operate at 4 ohms. The HiFi subs, which are 2 ohms, must be wired in series to operate at 4 ohms. There's no way the latter would work in parallel; they'd operate at 1 ohm, which would fry the amp.

Some other info is incorrect, however:
- I don't run Focal ISC100s. I avoided them on purpose to avoid the overcrisp highs that Focals tend to emit without a good EQ to tame them.
- ISC100s do not have the same of a similar tweeter as the Etons. It's not even close. The ISC100 uses an inverted aluminum dome, which is far harsher than a conventional silk dome. The silk dome, actually, should be a much better fit for the 2-series' environment and amplification. Personally, if you don't use Etons in the rear, selmeralto , I'd opt for these coaxials, which also use a silk dome tweeter.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 11:49 AM   #16
selmeralto
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the suggestion, Viffermike. Do you know if I'd need any adapters or special modification to install the JL C2-400x's in the rear?

Extremeaudio shipped the speakers out on the same day I ordered them. If I'm really lucky and there's no delay at customs I might be able to install the Etons on the weekend.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 05:54 PM   #17
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Do you know if I'd need any adapters or special modification to install the JL C2-400x's in the rear?
Any universal-mount coaxial mounted back there will need one of two things, both really easy:
1). An adapter ring (This is a good one. I used this guy's adapters for the door speakers; excellent product. He's a regular on the F30 forums.)
OR
2). A fabricated tab to hold down one side of the speaker. I used a Dremel tool to cut and round off one of the sheetmetal screw clips that are typically included with aftermarket speakers so that it holds the rim of the speaker down at one of the three BMW mounting points.

Otherwise, it's a drop-in deal!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 08:30 PM   #18
selmeralto
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Any universal-mount coaxial mounted back there will need one of two things, both really easy:
1). An adapter ring (This is a good one. I used this guy's adapters for the door speakers; excellent product. He's a regular on the F30 forums.)
OR
2). A fabricated tab to hold down one side of the speaker. I used a Dremel tool to cut and round off one of the sheetmetal screw clips that are typically included with aftermarket speakers so that it holds the rim of the speaker down at one of the three BMW mounting points.

Otherwise, it's a drop-in deal!
Excellent. Many thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2016, 04:01 PM   #19
selmeralto
Lieutenant
Rep

I have installed the Eton speakers. A complete report is at http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1236238
Appreciate 0