THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Timetable for BMW 230i, M240i, M2 LCI updates and new engines

09-22-2015, 11:02 PM   #67
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aajami View Post
Not quite the same list of shit. Some of the things that the M3 and M4 have over their non-M counterparts include carbon fiber body panels, optional carbon ceramic brakes, optional M Performance exhausts, optional LED headlights, and unique seats. The M2 won't have any of these.
I respectfully disagree - unique seats and LED headlights don't make an ///M car - the things I listed do. What will the M2 have the the 235/240 don't ?

Real suspension (hint, better handling)- check.
M DCT - check.
Wider track (hint, better handling) - check.
Reworked N55 - check.
Less restrictive exhaust - check.
LSD standard (hint, better handling again and do you notice a theme?) - check.

Etc, etc....

The reason I'm in a 981 CS isn't because the 235 lacked power. My current car has significantly less power (torque). But it will turn like it is on rails and feels infinitely more planted than the 235 ever did. The M2 is going to be much much better in those regards, and that's why it is interesting. If you need unique seats and a CF roof and a hood bulge (all things that would be nice in the M2, don't get me wrong), then you need an M3/4. Because those things don't follow the 1M formula and the M2 definitely is doing that.

The lack of options just means that BMW is sticking to the performance basics on this car - which the average enthusiast will appreciate and sell his kidney to have a chance to own. I couldn't live with the 235 anymore, so I bought a Porsche, but I went their "performance bargain" too. It's just a different mindset.
      09-23-2015, 06:55 AM   #68
GuidoDoc
GuidoDoc
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jeep Wrangler JKU

Garage List
I am of the school that the price tag for an M car should include the performance AND the luxury features. Doesn't one expect leather or alcantara not leatherette? Doesn't one expect larger stylish wheels?

Many people seem to want an M model to automatically be the CSL version, the rest of us want our cake and to eat it too.
      09-23-2015, 07:06 AM   #69
bartman32
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

Garage List
2017 M2  [0.00]
M2 beyond 2016?

Does this mean we know for sure that the M2 will live on beyond 2016 and not be a 1 year model like 1 series M?
Looking at euro delivery June/July 2016
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 07:32 AM   #70
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by nike001 View Post
In 2015, with even current M owners/buyers, how many buy the cars for the heritage? Percentage wise, I'm inclined to believe it's not the majority. That said, who cars that an LSD is a 'major' improvement over the M235i's port-installed option? I doubt most will even use the LSD to it's full potential, none-the-less know what a LSD is and how it's advantageous. Also, the M235i weights about the same as the E46 M3, which the M235i seems to follow in the direct footsteps of.

Regarding dmboone25's post you quoted, I think the only 'big' upgrades are a DCT and a wider track. The M235i already has good cooling, which I wouldn't doubt ///M engineers beef up a little bit because why not, and the adaptive-M suspension the US-spec 235i comes with is already a fantastic suspension, but I'm not seeing 'suspension' as being a huge upgrade. Other than that, styling cues, an actual "///M" badge (heirarchy) will draw most in, with the other ///M bits drawing the enthusiasts in with it's M environment you're surrounded in.

With the M240i apparently close to 240hp, a simple piggy-back tune will get it to M2 numbers almost immediately (more likely surpassing it), so I don't think "MOAR POWRRRR" will play as much of a role as one might think.

The M2 will undoubtedly be a fantastic car like the M235i already is, and like the 1M was (despite the 'parts-bin' crowd). I just don't see a majority taking an M2 over a 235/240. I think the M2 crowd will be the enthusiast crowd, as well as the 'enthusiasts love it so I do too and I'll buy it because I'm an enthusiast now' crowd.
I'm not going to go too much into this but this has been beaten to death plenty of times. You are leaving out so many items that changes the car completely. A revamped EPS unit from the M3/4, solid mounted rear end, suspension from the M3/4, louder exhaust from factory ect ect...

Including DCT and wider tires/wheels, those are not what I'd call insignificant. By the time you do that to an M235i, you'll be paying M2 kind of money anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nantucket View Post
OK,thanks.I thought that 2018 was going to be the last production year for the F22.So the M2 should have 5 production years?
They're talking about MY2018. So the LCI should be available late Summer 2017. What does this mean? BMW will do the same thing they did with the F80. Have it out for 1 year, then release LCI.

Thus why I'm not in a giant rush to get the first ones, even though I'm on the list.

I also predict LED headlights will either be an option or standard as BMW is starting to phase out Xenons completely. Not the biggest deal in the world, but enough to make me think twice about waiting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoDoc View Post
I am of the school that the price tag for an M car should include the performance AND the luxury features. Doesn't one expect leather or alcantara not leatherette? Doesn't one expect larger stylish wheels?

Many people seem to want an M model to automatically be the CSL version, the rest of us want our cake and to eat it too.
Then be completely OK with these cars starting over $50k. And then you guys wonder why M3's can now be optioned to almost $90k. At some point, that "cake" doesn't make sense anymore.

And for what it's worth, the M2 will come with leather and black 19" M3/4 wheels standard.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 07:56 AM   #71
Steven1077
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: M140i

I'm sure there will be very little difference in the price of an M3/4 after discounts than the M2 to start with, so I don't see any reason why anyone would be in a hurry to buy an M2, and don't say it's a lot smaller because it just isn't now that they've made it as wide as a bus and probably longer than an M235i, I know everyone thinks I'm just trolling but I really wanted an M2 until they made it too big, now I can't see a single reason to buy an M2, it's either an M235i or an M4 I'd buy, or most probably I'll just keep the M135i
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 07:57 AM   #72
Ali.K_BMW
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 330i xDrive

Garage List
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
more models and editions and modifications than ever.

Of course it is a CSL.

-all comments are opinion based. lol - I don't work for BMW anymore.
      09-23-2015, 08:19 AM   #73
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

My lease is up in 2018. How convenient!
Appreciate 1
      09-23-2015, 08:37 AM   #74
termigni
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S2000, MacanS, M4CS

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
i still have a chance!

2018 ///M2 LCI, Metallic Orange, 6MT, Exec Pkg, Apple.. Sold

Instagram: Tommys911
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 08:47 AM   #75
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven1077 View Post
I'm sure there will be very little difference in the price of an M3/4 after discounts than the M2 to start with, so I don't see any reason why anyone would be in a hurry to buy an M2, and don't say it's a lot smaller because it just isn't now that they've made it as wide as a bus and probably longer than an M235i, I know everyone thinks I'm just trolling but I really wanted an M2 until they made it too big, now I can't see a single reason to buy an M2, it's either an M235i or an M4 I'd buy, or most probably I'll just keep the M135i
M2 too big? A 911T is bigger than the M235 both in length and width. I don't see your logic when it comes to size.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 09:06 AM   #76
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackPride85 View Post
M2 too big? A 911T is bigger than the M235 both in length and width. I don't see your logic when it comes to size.
Don't worry about him. He thinks that because the car has flares, it's automatically a tank. Like I said in another thread, all he'd have to do is drive his M135i to the dealership and then jump into an M4. Maybe then he'll come to realize that the M3/4 feels like an older 5 series inside.

This is coming from someone that is still considering an F80.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 09:12 AM   #77
Makman
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BSM M2

Quote:
In 2015, with even current M owners/buyers, how many buy the cars for the heritage? Percentage wise, I'm inclined to believe it's not the majority. That said, who cars that an LSD is a 'major' improvement over the M235i's port-installed option? I doubt most will even use the LSD to it's full potential, none-the-less know what a LSD is and how it's advantageous. Also, the M235i weights about the same as the E46 M3, which the M235i seems to follow in the direct footsteps of.

Regarding dmboone25's post you quoted, I think the only 'big' upgrades are a DCT and a wider track. The M235i already has good cooling, which I wouldn't doubt ///M engineers beef up a little bit because why not, and the adaptive-M suspension the US-spec 235i comes with is already a fantastic suspension, but I'm not seeing 'suspension' as being a huge upgrade. Other than that, styling cues, an actual "///M" badge (heirarchy) will draw most in, with the other ///M bits drawing the enthusiasts in with it's M environment you're surrounded in.

With the M240i apparently close to 240hp, a simple piggy-back tune will get it to M2 numbers almost immediately (more likely surpassing it), so I don't think "MOAR POWRRRR" will play as much of a role as one might think.

The M2 will undoubtedly be a fantastic car like the M235i already is, and like the 1M was (despite the 'parts-bin' crowd). I just don't see a majority taking an M2 over a 235/240. I think the M2 crowd will be the enthusiast crowd, as well as the 'enthusiasts love it so I do too and I'll buy it because I'm an enthusiast now' crowd.
People like you are so funny and for some strange reason you ppl try to justify that the m235i will be ALMOST, ALMOST equal to the coming M2. The M2 will be a greater car, end of story. And if you can afford the M2, then you buy the M2 not the m235i.

This justification that "the M2 is an equal car, or an overhyped car compared to the m235i" is similar to the conversation of the 228i being "the perfect car in the line". Its the same arguments, "one tune and its equall in hp to the m235i" blah blah blah "A 228i with trackpack and a tune is 10k cheaper, meaning its more worthy than the m235i". "The 228i feels lighter in the front, meaning it has a better feeling" and so on...

And no, ppl simply buy it because its the best. And ethusiast wants the best, nothing more advanced then that.

Last edited by Makman; 09-23-2015 at 09:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 09:44 AM   #78
nike001
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makman
Quote:

People like you are so funny and for some strange reason you ppl try to justify that the m235i will be ALMOST, ALMOST equal to the coming M2. The M2 will be a greater car, end of story. And if you can afford the M2, then you buy the M2 not the m235i.

This justification that "the M2 is an equal car, or an overhyped car compared to the m235i" is similar to the conversation of the 228i being "the perfect car in the line". Its the same arguments, "one tune and its equall in hp to the m235i" blah blah blah "A 228i with trackpack and a tune is 10k cheaper, meaning its more worthy than the m235i". "The 228i feels lighter in the front, meaning it has a better feeling" and so on...

And no, ppl simply buy it because its the best. And ethusiast wants the best, nothing more advanced then that.
I've mentioned everything you posted. All I said that was that on paper, the m2 won't be all much different than the 235i equipment wise. Same as the 135-1M, but we all know the 1M was superior. Got it now?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 10:12 AM   #79
Tomahawk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328I MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoDoc

Most M fans want the actual equipment that makes it an M. leather seats is not one of those things. I actually don't car for alcantara all that much, but it does provide more grip. I prefer perforated leather on my wheel. a cloth, manually adjusted seat would be perfect in the M2 though. if you want leather just pay for it. M means Motorsport, not Vanden Plas edition.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 11:00 AM   #80
Adem1534
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven1077 View Post
Let me explain to you why it seems like you are trolling to so many people on here:

1. Your first statement about not being able to see why anyone would prefer the M2 over an M4 if the prices aren't loads off, is ridiculous. There are people who liked the 1M better than the e92. There will be people who like the M2 over the F80/2. Not because of price, but because of how the M2 operates and captivates the driver in a different way. So enough of that, please. It's actually frustrating as you're suggesting that we simply don't have enough money. You'll have to wake up and realize that there are certain things that other people are looking for that the M4 does not provide that the M2 will. Alright.

2. The M2 will be a lot smaller. That's a fact. Your comments are downright ridiculous. No, the M2 will not be longer than the M235i. No, it is not as wide as a bus. News flash: having wide flares does not make it necessarily a wider car in the sense that you think a bus is wide. The width from door handle to door handle will be exactly the same. The wider wheel base will actually make the car feel smaller, because it will handle better.

3. It really seems you're just trying to rain on the parade, as suggesting that the M2 is too wide is seriously laughable and then going on to say the m4 which is wider door to door and 8 inches longer is the better buy for everyone doesn't make sense considering different people want different things. Anyone who has driven both cars knows the M235i feels like a go cart compared to the large M4. I am not sure why you are so salty about the M2. I understand I'm polar opposite, and am quite a bit of a fan boy for this car. But I must say your comments are on the polar opposite side, not realstic, and downright pretty wild.

You are entitled to your owm opinion. However, that is why some of us think you are trolling.

Last edited by Adem1534; 09-23-2015 at 11:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 12:09 PM   #81
DarkstarZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Daytona 95 M3, X7 M50, e92 M3,

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartman32 View Post
Does this mean we know for sure that the M2 will live on beyond 2016 and not be a 1 year model like 1 series M?
Looking at euro delivery June/July 2016
My thought too. Looks like this confirms it.

My lease is up on my M Performance 228 in 2018, perfect timing
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 01:44 PM   #82
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
Well hats off to the BMW marketers who have whored out the ///M brand to the point where just placing the letter "M" on something automatically equates to the performance level of an ///M car. Sure, the M235 is a great car, but it's not an ///M car. Yes, it nearly out performs the ///M version of the previous generation as it should because this is the natural evolution of cars.

For those who have drunk the M235 Kool Aid and believe the M2 will only be marginally better, please put down your sippy cups. The foundation of the ///M brand is based on the full ///M products (ie., M1, 1M, M3, M4, M5, and M6) so they always have to be more than marginally better the M Performance model or however you want to call them.

For those who are of the school that do not understand how the BMW line up works, the series dictates the luxury appointments. The 2 series is the base entry level model for the US. You're not going to get carbon fiber anything, nor heads up display, nor vented seats, etc. that are found in the higher series cars. ///M stands for Motorsport which means performance. Period!

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 02:04 PM   #83
b1mmr
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 335XI E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynguldyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerMat135 View Post
The difference in power between the M2 And M240i will be very slim hope the price difference will be slim too.
40hp is slim?
Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Are the 2ers getting OLED as well? Or is that for the 4er and up?
It's unclear atm where OLED will go.
40hp is slim considering a used jb4 will net you 100 for 350 on an n54 platform and mhd license cost a mere 100 lol
      09-23-2015, 02:20 PM   #84
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_N54 View Post
40hp is slim considering a used jb4 will net you 100 for 350 on an n54 platform and mhd license cost a mere 100 lol
Please read the post right above yours. After you're done, do it again for good measure.
Appreciate 1
      09-23-2015, 02:26 PM   #85
Adem1534
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2

Quote:
Buy a civic. Do an LS swap. A little tune, and BAM! You're at 700 hp.

No need to buy that Lamborghini anymore!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 03:32 PM   #86
b1mmr
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adem1534
Quote:
Buy a civic. Do an LS swap. A little tune, and BAM! You're at 700 hp.

No need to buy that Lamborghini anymore!
700hp civic wouldn't be a good DD or reliable... As you alluded in your next retort.. But you probably want the m2 for the m badge, and are willing to pay 5k for 40hp. Different strokes for different folks.
      09-23-2015, 03:36 PM   #87
b1mmr
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W///
Quote:
Please read the post right above yours. After you're done, do it again for good measure.
I replied to him, not to any of the above posts. I don't need to do any further reading to validate my point.my post was solely on the topic of power as stated in quoted post.

If you want some sways and m badges with a more aggressive flash from the factory. More power to you...

All you 2er dudes sound like this guy

Why would I need a girlfriend if I have an m car.
      09-23-2015, 04:11 PM   #88
Sonic RR
I drink and I pretend to know things.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 320I XDRIVE BASE TRASH

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Don't forget about G29.
G29? I thought that was G14 classified?

Sonic
Appreciate 1