THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes Performance Brakes + ECS Lines, installed (PICS INSIDE)

02-16-2016, 10:46 AM   #23
nike001
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexGT View Post
Correction, rear calipers and disks are the same size. Front are not, the collage picture for the comparison was edited for the 4 pics fit.

Front rotors and calipers are bigger.

I wanted OEM fitment (plug and play), better braking, I got both.

They are not.

Not being rude, but this thread is FILLED with wrong information.

To be honest, your initial review is the opposite of what others have posted about the upgrade M Performance brakes. (most report LESS initial bite & LESS feel)

Your front/rear rotors & pads are the same size from M-Sport to M-Performance. The rotors THEMSELVES are bigger because they have a bigger hub; the swept area of the rotor is in fact the same size from rotor to rotor (M-Sport to M-Performance).

Honestly, all the package is, is bigger 'looking' brakes, dimpled/slotted rotors, the color of the rotors & different (mostly seen as worse) pads from the blue M-Sport brakes M235i's come stock with.

But hey, if you're happy, that's all that matters. I'm just correcting wrong information in this thread.

Source for those who'd like to read more into it and learn the differences between all the brake packages:
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-br...fferences.aspx
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 11:22 AM   #24
AlexGT
Captain
Guatemala
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by nike001 View Post
They are not.

Not being rude, but this thread is FILLED with wrong information.

To be honest, your initial review is the opposite of what others have posted about the upgrade M Performance brakes. (most report LESS initial bite & LESS feel)

Your front/rear rotors & pads are the same size from M-Sport to M-Performance. The rotors THEMSELVES are bigger because they have a bigger hub; the swept area of the rotor is in fact the same size from rotor to rotor (M-Sport to M-Performance).

Honestly, all the package is, is bigger 'looking' brakes, dimpled/slotted rotors, the color of the rotors & different (mostly seen as worse) pads from the blue M-Sport brakes M235i's come stock with.

But hey, if you're happy, that's all that matters. I'm just correcting wrong information in this thread.

Source for those who'd like to read more into it and learn the differences between all the brake packages:
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-br...fferences.aspx
You're entitled to have YOUR opinion.

This is what I feel about what I installed. If you think I'm wrong, oh well, again, you're point of view is your point of view. I had both front calipers in my hands (so the installer), both agreed that they were bigger than the M sport, if you do not agree to that either, read the previous paragraph.

BTW, I have better bite because I also installed ECS steel lines (if you had the time to actually see the pictures, there is a red cable there, that's not the OEM brake line).

I'm wondering if you have tried this kit? Do you actually drove a car with it + steel lines installed? If yes, well, I truthfully respect your opinion, but if you just "read/heard" it elsewhere, well, let's agree that we both disagree about each other's opinion. Deal?

I didn't share this to make a big deal out of it and that's all I have to say.

Last edited by AlexGT; 02-16-2016 at 11:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 11:31 AM   #25
nike001
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 718 Cayman

Quote:
You're entitled to have YOUR opinion.

This is what I feel about what I installed. If you think I'm wrong, oh well, again, you're point of view is your point of view. I had both front calipers in my hands (so the installer), both agreed that they were bigger than the M sport, if you do not agree to that either, read the previous paragraph.

BTW, I have better bite because I also installed ECS steel lines (it you had the time to actually see the pictures, there is a red cable there, that's not the OEM brake line).

I'm wondering if you have tried this kit? Do you actually drove a car with it + steel lines installed? If yes, well, I truthfully respect your opinion, but if you just "read/heard" it elsewhere, well, let's agree that we both disagree about each other's opinion. Deal?

I didn't share this to make a big deal out of it and that's all I have to say.
Dude, I'm not here to start an argument, I'm just providing proven information from Turner rather than you & a brake technician holding the brakes and saying "yeah they're bigger"

Nothing in my post was opinion. I only stated that YOUR opinion was oddly the complete opposite of what others have reported.

I haven't tried the kit but I've driven every type of car with every type of brake setup imaginable (1970's junkers to ///M cars with carbon ceramics to dedicated track cars. If I was starting an argument I'd probably have asked you what racetrack you took the car to for your 'review' you posted.

No opinions, just facts. But you're happy so that's all that matters
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 07:39 PM   #26
BiscottiGelato
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 135i M Sport 6MT

Bigger heavier brake rotors is not necessarily a bad thing. In fact for us track junkies this is a great thing! Bigger surface area for heat dissipation and more thermal mass to sink the heat from the rest of the brake system. This means much much more resistant to brake fade, the #1 enemy in tracking a car.

In fact I asked in just an adjacent thread, on whether it's possible to just retrofit the larger front rotor by just somehow buying only the bracket that allows the front rotors to be further spaced out? If so this would be the best bang for the buck brake upgrade for penny pinching track junkies.

If this is possible, I'm all over the idea of getting a used M235i instead of the M2.
      02-17-2016, 07:42 AM   #27
AlexGT
Captain
Guatemala
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiscottiGelato View Post
Bigger heavier brake rotors is not necessarily a bad thing. In fact for us track junkies this is a great thing! Bigger surface area for heat dissipation and more thermal mass to sink the heat from the rest of the brake system. This means much much more resistant to brake fade, the #1 enemy in tracking a car.

In fact I asked in just an adjacent thread, on whether it's possible to just retrofit the larger front rotor by just somehow buying only the bracket that allows the front rotors to be further spaced out? If so this would be the best bang for the buck brake upgrade for penny pinching track junkies.

If this is possible, I'm all over the idea of getting a used M235i instead of the M2.
That could be a good option too man, did you get an answer for that? Did you try to find the part numbers for those brackets at realoem.com? If you ever nail it, share it, as I'm sure you won't be the only one interested.

Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 09:19 AM   #28
SteveInfante
NewFinishColumbia/detailer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiscottiGelato View Post
True story. More resistant to cracking if only slotted or blank as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2016, 06:27 PM   #29
BiscottiGelato
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 135i M Sport 6MT

See this thread

340mm to 370mm rotors without changing calipers? http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1226936
      02-25-2016, 10:14 AM   #30
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
F30 rotor weights off Realoem

Front Rotors
Package Rotor Size Type
10.1kg each - stock, #34116792223 340x30 blank
10kg each Accessory option, #34106797602 340x30 dimpled/slotted
16.5kg each M Sport (all), #34106797606 370x30 blank
11.9kg each M Performance, #34106797603 370x30 dimpled/slotted

Rear Rotors
Package Rotor Dia. Type

9kg M Sport (all), #34206797607 345x24 blank
8.6kg each M Performance, #34206797600 345x24 dimpled/slotted

BP
Guys,

Fitted my hardware yesterday - all good apart from being sent F3x 345mm S&D MP rotors [part number I quoted above ending in 797600 as opposed to correct 345mm S&D MP rotor part number

#34206797598.

BP

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 05:39 AM   #31
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

My brake upgrade completed as follows:-

Calipers
  • Front - swapped std blue m sport to larger F30 Oe blue m-sport calipers
  • Rear - no change
Discs - all round OE MP BBK discs c/w OE larger protection plates
  • front [370mm]
  • rear [345mm]
Pads c/w new wear sensors
  • Front - OE M3/M4 sport pads;
  • Rear - OE MP pads at the rear
Lines - HEL ss braided hoses - black

BF - DOT 5.1

Pad break-in ritual as follows to get the disc and pad temperatures high enough to ship pad material evenly to the disc faces:-
  • Light braking to warm the pads and discs.
  • 8-10 hard stops*, 60-5mph in quick succession.
    *Hard stop = getting to the point of ABS intervention, but not actually triggering.
  • Brake pressure must be released as you approach stop - do not stop the car after each deceleration.
  • Repeated above with some higher speed deceleration, say 80-10 on a private closed road......
  • Drive for several miles afterwards to let the brakes cool.

The std car's brakes are very good - I think EU spec M135i pads are superb for DD and occasional track work - so the m2/m3/m4 sport pads were a leap of faith. However, although its early days, so far no noise but wow can this thing pull up...pedal feel is definitely improved [I have yet to get the DSC/ABS recoded which I think will soften the pedal a tad] with great initial bite but still progressive and easy to modulate [important to me and I was concerned that I might make the brakes too binary].

BP

461m trial fit

Front

usual 397's
Front

Rear

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 1
      03-04-2016, 06:09 AM   #32
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Update - did a dash from South London to Brighton [south coast UK] to home in SW London last night.

Motorway there and empty, cross-country roads on the return journey.

This brake setup is, in a word, immense.

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 1
      03-04-2016, 07:08 AM   #33
AlexGT
Captain
Guatemala
Rep

Quote:
Update - did a dash from South London to Brighton [south coast UK] to home in SW London last night.

Motorway there and empty, cross-country roads on the return journey.

This brake setup is, in a word, immense.
Good to know Bee! That's the same thing that I felt (after the breaking period), but for some people my appreciation is incorrect , anyhow, I'm glad that your new brake setup is working like that for you, now that makes two of us!

Cheers!!
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2016, 07:44 AM   #34
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Alex - I'm curious to see how much dust/noise/DD feel these F8x sport pads generate.......So far so good though. BP

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2016, 09:13 AM   #35
AlexGT
Captain
Guatemala
Rep

Quote:
Alex - I'm curious to see how much dust/noise/DD feel these F8x sport pads generate.......So far so good though. BP
Keep us posted mate, if there's any excess of dust, you'll notice it very fast as you have silver wheels.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 04:41 PM   #36
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Update - Daylight photos of MP BBK - coded at dealer last week:-

Brakes feel slightly more progressive than before coding - making modulation even easier.

Prior to being coded, the car had to have it's software updated as well, so went I-step "B" to I-step "L" - I noticed the following as a result
  • smoother SAT gear changes;
  • better idrive graphics;
  • pro nav seems to be more reactive in terms updating cursor whilst on the move; and
  • BT functionality seems to have improved for android and IoS phones.

Happy with all of the above.

Current '22 X3M LCI..

Last edited by Bee Pee; 03-21-2016 at 04:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 04:46 PM   #37
rwalker
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: the wheels off

what's your build date, Bee Pee?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 04:56 PM   #38
AlexGT
Captain
Guatemala
Rep

Quote:
Update - Daylight photos of MP BBK - coded at dealer last week:-

Brakes feel slightly more progressive than before coding - making modulation even easier.

Prior to being coded, the car had to have it's software updated as well, so went I-step "B" to I-step "L" - I noticed the following as a result
  • smoother SAT gear changes;
  • better idrive graphics;
  • pro nav seems to be more reactive in terms updating cursor whilst on the move; and
  • BT functionality seems to have improved for android and IoS phones.

Happy with all of the above.
Great Bee Pee! Now about the braking now that it's coded, do you feel like it brakes better/faster/in shorter length?

How much the the BMW dealer charged you for coding the brakes? I was quoted $150 by my BMW local dealer and they say I need to leave the car for 3 days while they receive the new program from BMW Germany
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 04:58 PM   #39
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalker View Post
what's your build date, Bee Pee?
Hi Sept 2013

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 06:07 PM   #40
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Great Bee Pee! Now about the braking now that it's coded, do you feel like it brakes better/faster/in shorter length?

How much the the BMW dealer charged you for coding the brakes? I was quoted $150 by my BMW local dealer and they say I need to leave the car for 3 days while they receive the new program from BMW Germany
Hi Alex,

Post the MPBBK coding, the brake pedal feel at the top now is more subtle which I think works better in terms of regulating the strong initial bite for a DD.

Applying firmer pressure harder/faster, the MPBBK feel and power is much the same as before coding ie IMHO superb !!!

BP

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2016, 10:16 AM   #41
AlexGT
Captain
Guatemala
Rep

Quote:
Hi Alex,

Post the MPBBK coding, the brake pedal feel at the top now is more subtle which I think works better in terms of regulating the strong initial bite for a DD.

Applying firmer pressure harder/faster, the MPBBK feel and power is much the same as before coding ie IMHO superb !!!

BP
Great! Good to know that my $150 for coding those brakes will worth hehe

Thanks BP
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2016, 12:09 PM   #42
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Alex,

Np.

My dealer charged me an hour labour but bear in mind the car had to have its software bought right upto date before MPBBK coding could be added, I'm v happy with that.

BP

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2016, 01:15 PM   #43
AlexGT
Captain
Guatemala
Rep

Quote:
Alex,

Np.

My dealer charged me an hour labour but bear in mind the car had to have its software bought right upto date before MPBBK coding could be added, I'm v happy with that.

BP
Right, the same was told to me by my local dealer, that they will need yo update the whole program in order to code the new performance brake system.

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2016, 12:53 PM   #44
usafmike
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: '23 M2 On Order (Aug Delivery)

How have the brakes been holding up? I've been looking at this upgrade. Have you had a chance to take your car to the track at all? Also, how is the brake dust? I know the stock pads are terrible and it's hard to keep the wheels clean even with orbit grey rims. I've been looking at these brakes for a while now, just unsure if I should go with these or something like Stoptechs.
Appreciate 0