THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) Milk spilled in trunk, what's under carpet?

06-12-2021, 08:41 AM   #1
amutti
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 Convertible M240i Xdrive

Milk spilled in trunk, what's under carpet?

So about a cup of milk spilled onto the carpet in the trunk/boot. Still not sure how if "jumped" out of the bag, but it did and the top leaked. I mopped up what I could when I noticed, but now it's starting to smell. I pulled out the carpet/trunk floor and verified that's what smells.

Under the carpet, vinyl/plastic or cardboard/pressboard?

I'm borrowing a carpet cleaner tonight, but if it's plastic I won't worry too much about getting it wet.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2021, 10:03 AM   #2
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

somehow vinegar and baking soda should play into the clean up.

I wouldn't soak anything too thoroughly and wouldn't wipe but blot.

Counterintuitive but maybe leaving the carpet pad in sunlight will dry and kill any odor.
Appreciate 1
nazali1264.50
      06-14-2021, 06:25 AM   #3
amutti
Private First Class
Rep

Let me first recommend you don't leave milk in your car or spill any. Yuck. A little got under the fuse box and puddled there, and on the cable straps. Seems to have missed the actual fuses (side note, why isn't there a cover on that?) I cleaned that out and then used an enzyme cleaner on the wire wraps and the carpet and it's significantly better. It will be a few weeks until the smell is gone.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 08:49 AM   #4
jzeiler4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M240i xDrive vert

I always put the milk jugs behind the front passenger seat, that way they are more secure than in the trunk and I can see a tip over right away. I know too late to help you now.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 09:23 AM   #5
amutti
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler4 View Post
I always put the milk jugs behind the front passenger seat, that way they are more secure than in the trunk and I can see a tip over right away. I know too late to help you now.
Yes, that will be my new CoA moving forward. LOL.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 12:40 PM   #6
TrboMike
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M240ix

This thread is giving me nightmares. My mother was a hoarder, and kinda gross person. One day she visits me on a hot summer day and I go to get something from her car, the second I open the door the most retched vomit smell poured out of the car, I almost fell over. I asked her what happened "what smell? oh I think I forgot some food in the trunk last week". I open the trunk and move all the junk she leaves back there around, the floor looks normal, but the smell is melting my nose hairs. I lift the trunk floor to look at the spare.... WHAT IS THAT??? Everything is covered in black. For a second I thought someone sprayed bedliner over the spare and jack and everything.

My mom had bought two huge watermellons, put them in the trunk, and forgot about them, three weeks earlier. It was 90 degrees plus for weeks. There was NO SIGN of them above the trunk bed, the skin and rind and everything had liquefied and seeped thru the bottom and just settled on the spare and jack and everything and just melted and reformed each day the car got over 100 degrees.

I had to toss the spare and jack and tools. I tried scraping the bottom of the spare well with tools. i sprayed everything known to man down there. It smelled for years until she totaled the car.

Somewhere in a junkyard there is a Honda Accord turned into a cube that stinks like the devil ate shit and threw it up into that cube of metal.

Oh, good luck with the milk thing.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 03:23 PM   #7
amutti
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrboMike View Post
This thread is giving me nightmares. My mother was a hoarder, and kinda gross person. One day she visits me on a hot summer day and I go to get something from her car, the second I open the door the most retched vomit smell poured out of the car, I almost fell over. I asked her what happened "what smell? oh I think I forgot some food in the trunk last week". I open the trunk and move all the junk she leaves back there around, the floor looks normal, but the smell is melting my nose hairs. I lift the trunk floor to look at the spare.... WHAT IS THAT??? Everything is covered in black. For a second I thought someone sprayed bedliner over the spare and jack and everything.

My mom had bought two huge watermellons, put them in the trunk, and forgot about them, three weeks earlier. It was 90 degrees plus for weeks. There was NO SIGN of them above the trunk bed, the skin and rind and everything had liquefied and seeped thru the bottom and just settled on the spare and jack and everything and just melted and reformed each day the car got over 100 degrees.

I had to toss the spare and jack and tools. I tried scraping the bottom of the spare well with tools. i sprayed everything known to man down there. It smelled for years until she totaled the car.

Somewhere in a junkyard there is a Honda Accord turned into a cube that stinks like the devil ate shit and threw it up into that cube of metal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrboMike View Post
This thread is giving me nightmares….

LOL. That sounds way worse.

The milk smell is improving.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 09:03 PM   #8
amutti
Private First Class
Rep

Realized I never concluded this thread. Rocco & Roxie Stain and Odor Eliminator I got from Amazon did the trick. The smell of the cleaner took almost two months to go away, but the sour milk smell was gone within a day of using it. A solid recommend from me.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2023, 06:15 AM   #9
BroganHarrington
Banned
Rep
Drives: Volvo

Sour milk has an unpleasant smell, but baking soda is a convenient odor-absorbing tool to always have on hand. Generously sprinkle baking soda onto the affected area, whether it is wet or dry, and leave it overnight. In the morning, vacuum the area thoroughly.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2023, 12:20 PM   #10
amutti
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroganHarrington View Post
Sour milk has an unpleasant smell, but baking soda is a convenient odor-absorbing tool to always have on hand. Generously sprinkle baking soda onto the affected area, whether it is wet or dry, and leave it overnight. In the morning, vacuum the area thoroughly.
This was beyond baking soda, but think you for the suggestion. It got into the tub underneath the carpet.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2023, 04:47 AM   #11
Madison_S
Registered
Rep
Drives: Kia Carnival

I would use baking soda for cleaning because it can absorb any unpleasant odors.
Appreciate 0