THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum 2020 M240i RWD vs Xdrive

02-12-2020, 08:03 PM   #45
Zyzzthetic
6 speeeeeeeeeed
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i 6-Speed Manual

Was in the same predicament as you. Opted for RWD and couldn't happier as it comes in Manual.

I also live in Canada and get major snow.

Nothing my winter tires can't handle!
      02-12-2020, 08:45 PM   #46
cooolone2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 20' M240iX B58, 01' 330XI E46

Hahaha... I'm certainly not burying myself.

The BMW Xdrive provides 40/60 power (F/R) in typical driving conditions. And it has the ability to drive when 100% of torque is shifted to one axle in slip conditions. I don't know what the thinking is when it's equated to one wheel or even two (LSD) to better traction than the Xdrive.

I indicated in my post that "All other things being equal" and yet, there is continued reference to tires and more. Lmao! I know the value of tires, compounds and contact patch, etc. But that's not what we're talking about. It's a simple comparative to two different traction systems, and the increased traction of one, over the other.

There is no way in any event, that a rear drive alone is superior to an Xdrive in regards to traction, straight, in turns, wet, or on snow. Because the worst an Xdrive system can do, is step down to the other, but the single or LSD cannot shift torque to the wheels that are not spinning whereas the Xdrive can.

Otherwise, I'm always open to being educated. School me where I'm mistaken.

Regards
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 10:36 AM   #47
Isoleucine
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

The only possible traction advantage an LSD could have is if the front axle had zero traction in a turn and the traction between the two rear tires was uneven. The xDrive would then behave like a standard open differential RWD car, while the LSD would behave like a RWD car with LSD.

The odds of such a scenario occurring are 0%, considering it is physically impossible to turn (or to continue turning if it happens mid-corner) if there is zero traction in the front wheels.
Appreciate 1
cooolone2610.50
      02-24-2020, 01:54 PM   #48
240Newbie
Learning
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19' M240 M Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Hockey4 View Post
It was sarcasm

Basically if its DD and up north, get AWD, but decent weather year round, RWD is the way to go. Again, really about needs, I needed RWD and MT lol
I knew yours was sarcasm. Guess my joke went right over your head. I even added a lol....
Appreciate 0