THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Opinions Sought on M240i order

02-20-2019, 11:34 AM   #23
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
I've had clutch-based diffs in track and race cars, so I'm familiar with how they behave on the track. I think it's useful to remember that no one here is racing, and that the OP says he's not going to be tracking his car. Given that, is it your belief that a clutch-based diff is a better choice for a street car - or vice-versa, for that matter?

FWIW, I accepted Dan's choice of the Wavetrac because I didn't want a unit that would require maintenance, and I knew it would be entirely satisfactory for me on the track. I suspect that whoever goes back to a BMW dealer for an M Perf diff rebuild is going to be in for a mild shock when the bill is presented - I'm guessing clutch-rebuild type pricing.
I guess my thought is you rarely hear of someone wearing out the clutch-based LSD in a BMW. Yes, they do wear out, especially if you race/drift a lot, but for most BMW enthusiasts, you're going to get 80K+ miles out of them, which for most, means 6+ years and most BMW owners don't own their cars that long. Plus, everything wears out eventually.

I like the M Performance LSD because:

1) It's built by Drexler. That's about as good as you can get for a quality LSD builder.

2) It has the appropriate level of lock-up for the street and the typical track duty these cars will see.

3) It's a BMW part with a warranty backed by BMW. If something went wrong with a custom built LSD, you're left to deal with the builder and the shop you're using is stuck in the middle.

4) The clutch-based LSD can lock both on acceleration and deceleration. That's ideal.

The only downside I see with the M Performance LSD is that it will eventually wear out and I doubt there is any BMW dealer willing to rebuild one. It would probably be cheaper to replace it with a new one.

The Wavetrac is solid and when I was looking at an LSD, I was seriously considering having one built, but I could justify the cost as it was going to cost me at least $1,000 more to go with Diffsonline. I'm not sure how you got a deal like you did because I researched them and spoke with them and the cost hasn't changed in 2 years. If I wanted a deeper rear gear, I would have definitely had one built and spent the money.

Either way, any sort of true LSD in these cars is a must if you really like the drive these cars hard. I love mine. I owned my car for 2 years without an LSD and added last year. It totally changes the car. My review:

https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1493261
      02-20-2019, 02:24 PM   #24
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP911 View Post
I went with a stripper build M240i 6-speed + moonroof delete and do not regret it one bit. The stock audio system does suck, but it's not like it crackles or causes me any pain, so once I'm tuned in to what I'm listening to, it doesn't even cross my mind that it doesn't sound "good enough." The other thing is, I've read so many comments that the HK audio system is not that great compared to other HK-equipped cars e.g. 3-series and up. Just didn't seem worth the gamble since I ordered the car sight unseen. For those who are conscious about the car's weight like me, the thought of having an additional amplifier(s), more speakers, heavier magnets on the speaker, etc. is another factor. Finally, like OP, I did not like being strong-armed into buying the Premium Package just to get better audio or navigation for that matter.

Speaking of which, Navigation is the ONLY thing I wish I had for driving on longer road trips or to unfamiliar destinations, but even then, I would have had to have ugly parking sensors in my bumper and whatever other crap I didn't want or need in my car. TBH, unless I'm just cruising on an interstate at a constant speed covering long distances, which is rarely ever with this car, I choose to keep the radio is off, the phone is put away, and I'm listening to the beautiful soundtrack of that glorious B58 while I explore for new backroads and keep an eye (and ear) out for the fuzz.

In the end, it all depends on how you use your car. The Nissan Armada I just ordered has a nice Bose system. The Volvo beater I have in the driveway for shuttling the dog and whatnot also has Premium audio and sounds fantastic, but I drive both of these cars every day and drive them slow and steady like your grandma would. I have nothing better to do other than turn the radio up and chill out as I scan the road ahead.

No one can give you an answer - just perspective. You'll just have to think nice and hard about what you want vs. what you need and all the pros and cons that come with it.

Best of luck!
My M240i has the nav. I've never use it. I rely on Google maps.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 03:20 PM   #25
msej449
msej449
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M235i Convertible +LSD 2016

Garage List
My previous car was a 330d xDrive Touring. I was apprehensive about going back to RWD on my M235i after this (and 2x previous AWD cars). But I've been won over, I have to say, even in the snow (albeit with square winters). I did retro-fit the BMW M Performance LSD after 18 months - should have done it sooner as it's useful even on public roads. So my view is RWD + MP LSD is better value than xDrive on M235/M240.

I got the HK audio, and it's OK but yes, a bit disappointing on a car in this price bracket. I would have expected better. But not worth a lot of cost/effort upgrading.

Mine's Estoril Blue and I went for this after a string of black, grey and white cars. Still love the colour after 3 years and although black is always very photogenic clean and in the sun, it's a pig to keep clean more than a day or two. Only criticism is I think an even darker blue would look good but not available on the 2 here. Interior is 'Oyster with Dark Oyster Highlights / Black Dakota' leather and High Gloss Black trim. Definitely prefer the HGB trim to really cheap-looking hex or alu but you do have to be careful not to scratch with abrasive cleaners/brushes. Previous Audi was all-black interior and that got funereal in winter.

We went for a convertible. Very glad we did. Had the top down for the first time this year today in brilliant sun 10ºC (50ºF) and as ever, it completely transformed the journey (albeit with heated seats and steering wheel on!). Really, really pleased we went for this. Try one out at least.

Oh, and in case this is important to you - it's still possible to do a reverse J-turn, even with the sports auto (that's where you drive in reverse, fast, then throw the wheel, car does a 180º and you slam the drive into 'D' all without stopping). I did one in a 2018 Euro M140i on a wet-weather training course at Goodwood track in the UK a couple of months ago. Didn't think it was possible in an auto. Obviously very useful if you have to avoid a hit squad in your line of work!

Last edited by msej449; 02-20-2019 at 03:40 PM..
Appreciate 1
      02-20-2019, 09:20 PM   #26
Miata13
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 BMW x3 M40i (on order)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisfreak View Post
Owner of a 2018 M240i Estoril Blue 8pd auto pp w standard sound system.

Estoril blue: absolutely stunning color, not hard to keep clean. I get constant compliments on it.

I'd only go for RWD because I want the fun factor. Inducing corner oversteer = fun

Standard sound system is @SS, I replaced with BavSound speakers and its much better.
I have had a few loaners with the HK sound system in them and its barely passable. The HK is still no winner.

I also have Dinan intake and tune which make the power even more crazy.

Tennisfreak - How would you compare your Bavsound speaker equipped standard audio to the H/K Premium from BMW? Thanks.
'14 F31 M-Sport ED & PCD (retired)
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 03:07 PM   #27
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

I'm not a massive audio guy, but I do appreciate good sound quality. I did find a pretty big difference between the standard system and HK system in the 2 series, especially bass and general surround sound. I ordered my M235 with the HK system. About a month after I got the car, I disconnected the center channel speaker and replaced the rears with a $100 set of JL Audio C2-400x speakers. All that made quite a nice difference and I've been fine with it for 3 years. If there was anything I'd upgrade, it would be the stock front door tweeters.

On a couple of occasions over the years, the under seat subs wouldn't come on (a restart fixes it, fairly common issue). You can tell right away when they're not firing. The sound has no depth and is exactly like the standard system.

You can certainly buy the standard system and upgrade, but you'd best be good with electronics and running wire through the car and be quite careful with pulling the door panels. You better have some extra door clips too as you'll probably break some.