THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Annoying throttle response m235i xdrive AT

08-01-2016, 07:07 PM   #45
Rayscott
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 228ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog26372 View Post
I had this issue with my old 2012 X3 with the same N55 engine. I could be in sport mode with shifter to the left and if I slowed down a bit going say 50 down to 30 and then tried to change lanes and go, there was almost a dangerous delay in acceleration. You would just be in the other lane and nothing for 1/2 second.

This for the most part has gone away with the 235i, but it's still there from time to time more so during rolling stop situations.

I had no issues with the N54 135i, so I don't know if it's the new 8 speed, the xdrive, or the N55 single turbo vs. the N54 twin turbo. My guess is it's the tranny or xdrive. Good news is the S3 and GLA45 amgs are loads worse, so at least we've got that going for us, whish is nice.
Same issue with my 2012 X3. The lag is annoying especially in todays traffic.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2016, 11:42 AM   #46
kdog26372
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
If you're still not happy after the service appointment and they've verified nothing wrong with the car, rather than getting rid of it right away I'd try a Dinan tune. I say Dinan for a number of reasons. Yes it's the most expensive but you're already having issues so the warranty is good. And if it doesn't help, you can return it and you're only out the $200 install. They say 3 days but I just got one on my dad's sport wagon and they agreed to a week since getting up there in the middle of the week was a hassle. Seems like a good thing to try before taking a beating getting rid of the car.
Piggy tune won't solve anything related to what he's talking about. I've had this issue, stock and with tune and if anything the issue will be exaggerated with a tune as post delay you will have loads more power. I'm pretty sure it's something with the traction control and ECU telling car not to accelerate for stability. Was horrible in my X3 during lane changes.
      08-02-2016, 12:18 PM   #47
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog26372
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
If you're still not happy after the service appointment and they've verified nothing wrong with the car, rather than getting rid of it right away I'd try a Dinan tune. I say Dinan for a number of reasons. Yes it's the most expensive but you're already having issues so the warranty is good. And if it doesn't help, you can return it and you're only out the $200 install. They say 3 days but I just got one on my dad's sport wagon and they agreed to a week since getting up there in the middle of the week was a hassle. Seems like a good thing to try before taking a beating getting rid of the car.
Piggy tune won't solve anything related to what he's talking about. I've had this issue, stock and with tune and if anything the issue will be exaggerated with a tune as post delay you will have loads more power. I'm pretty sure it's something with the traction control and ECU telling car not to accelerate for stability. Was horrible in my X3 during lane changes.
Wow guess j didn't understand the problem then. That's scary.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2016, 03:08 PM   #48
APX2APX
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235iX

I have personally owned over 45 cars, the M235i throttle response is just fine.

Have you ever had a car with a pedal mounted to the floor? If not, that takes some getting used to. You need to push at top of the pedal instead of the bottom like most American pedals that hang down.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2016, 03:22 PM   #49
Zooks527
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi / 2005 Tacoma 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
In DSC off the rear end simulates a locking differential ....
It does this in every mode. Individual wheel braking across the open differential (Automatic Differential Braking) is active all the time. It is, however, more a simulation of a limited slip, rather than locking, differential. In normal mode, once wheel spin can no longer be limited by application of brake to a spinning wheel, the throttle is pulled back. In DTC mode (one short push), the car allows some limited amount of spin before the throttle pull-back occurs.

What goes away in DSC-off mode any attempt to limit wheel spin via throttle reduction, as well as the car no longer attempting to determine the path you're trying to take (through the yaw and steering wheel position sensors) and then modulating braking around the corners of the car to try to control the turn. In DSC-off, the car won't try to correct any time of slide or slip, it will simply brake one back wheel or the other trying to keep the two rotating at the same speed.

Prior 40 years: 67 BelAir wagon / 68 LeMans Tempest / 70 Mustang Mach 1 / 72 El Dorado / 78 Corvette / 81 Subaru GL wagon 4WD / 83 s10 Blazer 4x4 / 85 Bronco 4x4 / 96 Bronco 4x4 / 04 Passat 4mo / 09 BMW 335xi

Last edited by Zooks527; 08-02-2016 at 03:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 10:53 AM   #50
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooks527 View Post
It does this in every mode. Individual wheel braking across the open differential (Automatic Differential Braking) is active all the time. It is, however, more a simulation of a limited slip, rather than locking, differential. In normal mode, once wheel spin can no longer be limited by application of brake to a spinning wheel, the throttle is pulled back. In DTC mode (one short push), the car allows some limited amount of spin before the throttle pull-back occurs.

What goes away in DSC-off mode any attempt to limit wheel spin via throttle reduction, as well as the car no longer attempting to determine the path you're trying to take (through the yaw and steering wheel position sensors) and then modulating braking around the corners of the car to try to control the turn. In DSC-off, the car won't try to correct any time of slide or slip, it will simply brake one back wheel or the other trying to keep the two rotating at the same speed.
The simulated limited slip differential is activated in every mode but its effects are less noticeable in nanny modes. From your posting it looks like you have an x-drive, which doesn't handle anything like a rear wheel drive and the difference in handling would likely not be felt as much in your car.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 12:28 PM   #51
Zooks527
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi / 2005 Tacoma 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
The simulated limited slip differential is activated in every mode but its effects are less noticeable in nanny modes. From your posting it looks like you have an x-drive, which doesn't handle anything like a rear wheel drive and the difference in handling would likely not be felt as much in your car.
I do have an xDrive, it's not as unnoticeable as one who hasn't driven one would think, but as you note, my point was that it's on in every mode.

Prior 40 years: 67 BelAir wagon / 68 LeMans Tempest / 70 Mustang Mach 1 / 72 El Dorado / 78 Corvette / 81 Subaru GL wagon 4WD / 83 s10 Blazer 4x4 / 85 Bronco 4x4 / 96 Bronco 4x4 / 04 Passat 4mo / 09 BMW 335xi
Appreciate 0