THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics B58 (M240i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning MHD Vs. Mission Performance

05-08-2020, 06:25 PM   #1
AleksanderSuave
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240iX Coupe

MHD Vs. Mission Performance

Thoughts on overall stage 1/stage 2 tune for our cars between MHD and mission performance?

I know theres more info on the 3 series forums but it looks like our stock tune vs. theirs varies enough to where results would be different.

Im looking to stay on regular fuel (no ethanol blending for the time being), but have ordered a CTS Turbo catless downpipe.

Ive got Dinan Stage 1 V2 now, and dinan exhaust. Havent touched intake either, might do that later on..

At this point looking at which of these "stage 2" tunes would offer better overall performance OTS.

I am considering eventually a custom tune..but further down the road, after possibly adding the Supra HPFP, or one of the other options, so for the time being just trying to decide between OTS tunes.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2020, 07:05 PM   #2
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep
Drives: M240xi 'Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by AleksanderSuave View Post
Thoughts on overall stage 1/stage 2 tune for our cars between MHD and mission performance?

I know theres more info on the 3 series forums but it looks like our stock tune vs. theirs varies enough to where results would be different.

Im looking to stay on regular fuel (no ethanol blending for the time being), but have ordered a CTS Turbo catless downpipe.

Ive got Dinan Stage 1 V2 now, and dinan exhaust. Havent touched intake either, might do that later on..

At this point looking at which of these "stage 2" tunes would offer better overall performance OTS.

I am considering eventually a custom tune..but further down the road, after possibly adding the Supra HPFP, or one of the other options, so for the time being just trying to decide between OTS tunes.
Aleksander, you are following a similar path as mine. If I were you I would go with Bootmod3 and use their OTS tunes for now till I am ready to get a custom tune. I am opting straight to get a custom tune once my shop opens up in MN; they are proposing to work straight with Cary Jordan.

The thing is, most OTS tunes are going to be similar in nature however the platform you want should be extensible, scalable and with excellent user friendly experiences coupled with great quality of life features. BootMod3 fits the bill. With all OTS tunes being somewhat equal, and you going with the custom tune route later anyway, my vote is for Bootmod3. Mobile apps, great logging features and all that beautiful UX stuff.

Mission Performance has their own proprietary platform and you will be likely stuck on that. I know that getting a tune from Cary Jordan requires the BM3 or MHD platform, and I am sure that applies to other popular custom tuners as well. Not to say that MP doesn't make awesome stuff, and they are well respected for that, but note that they lack flexibility as you will forever be at the mercy of one tuner instead of having the marketplace open to you. At least that is my take.

My only issue with MHD is that of user experience; why the hell do they still not have an iOS app is beyond me. They insist on having an Android app only. In the end the platform doesn't matter but since one is needed, why go with MHD over Bootmod3? Most popular custom tuners are cool with BootMod3 and Bootmod3 has a better user interface, again that's my take.

In all honesty I don't see why one wants MP's proprietary traps over the flexibility of either MHD or BM3.

TL;DR: if you want a custom tune later, go with the most user friendly and flexible platform: Bootmod3. All OTS tunes will be more or less similar in nature anyway.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2020, 08:13 PM   #3
AleksanderSuave
Lieutenant
Rep

You know I was leaning towards bootmod vs mhd and this was more of a “last minute gut check” as the 3 series forum speaks highly of mission performance but I imagine it’s because b58 tuning is newer for mhd.

I agree with you on the lack of iOS app on MHD being a major downside. I’m actually following them in their Facebook group and they made it official that iOS app beta testing began and the app launches before end of this month.

I’m leaning towards mhd over bootmod because of others experience with working with wedge tuning and mhd, seem to be highly favorable.

Also, it sounds like mhd worked with xHP In the development of their stage tunes for peak compatibility with their transmission tunes, and I see a lot of HPFP development options already there as well.

I’m just Optimistic that the iOS app is done sooner than later or I get chosen for the iOS final beta, as my downpipe is set to arrive Tuesday.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2020, 08:23 PM   #4
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep

Quote:
You know I was leaning towards bootmod vs mhd and this was more of a "last minute gut check" as the 3 series forum speaks highly of mission performance but I imagine it's because b58 tuning is newer for mhd.

I agree with you on the lack of iOS app on MHD being a major downside. I'm actually following them in their Facebook group and they made it official that iOS app beta testing began and the app launches before end of this month.

I'm leaning towards mhd over bootmod because of others experience with working with wedge tuning and mhd, seem to be highly favorable.

Also, it sounds like mhd worked with xHP In the development of their stage tunes for peak compatibility with their transmission tunes, and I see a lot of HPFP development options already there as well.

I'm just Optimistic that the iOS app is done sooner than later or I get chosen for the iOS final beta, as my downpipe is set to arrive Tuesday.
I haven't bought a platform yet myself; I was all set on Bootmod3 because I just loved their UX and trust their technology strategy way more than others. Plus they are impressively good with their customer service which is a HUGE for people like you and I. Cary Jordan requires either MHD or Bootmod3, and I have an iPhone so Bootmod3 seemed to be the obvious choice. I was waiting on the shop to open to buy the license.

However what is this wedge tuning stuff you mentioned? Are Wedge exclusively on MHD? Technically it shouldn't matter which platform is used to tune, so I don't really understand wedge's exclusivity if such is the case... but thanks for mentioning wedge (I had come across the name but never really investigated who they were). Let me look into this myself.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2020, 08:29 PM   #5
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep

Quote:
You know I was leaning towards bootmod vs mhd and this was more of a “last minute gut check” as the 3 series forum speaks highly of mission performance but I imagine it’s because b58 tuning is newer for mhd.

I agree with you on the lack of iOS app on MHD being a major downside. I’m actually following them in their Facebook group and they made it official that iOS app beta testing began and the app launches before end of this month.

I’m leaning towards mhd over bootmod because of others experience with working with wedge tuning and mhd, seem to be highly favorable.

I’m just Optimistic that the iOS app is done sooner than later or I get chosen for the iOS final beta, as my downpipe is set to arrive Tuesday.
Also what sort of downpipe did you end up getting? Which brand and type? Thanks

I went with the Akrapovic catted
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2020, 09:07 PM   #6
B58togo
Major
Rep
Drives: M240i

Go with BM3. Service is outstanding. Cary Jordan and Paul Johnson are arguably the top BMW tuners right now and they only work with BM3.
      05-09-2020, 11:01 AM   #7
AleksanderSuave
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimBimM2 View Post
I haven't bought a platform yet myself; I was all set on Bootmod3 because I just loved their UX and trust their technology strategy way more than others. Plus they are impressively good with their customer service which is a HUGE for people like you and I. Cary Jordan requires either MHD or Bootmod3, and I have an iPhone so Bootmod3 seemed to be the obvious choice. I was waiting on the shop to open to buy the license.

However what is this wedge tuning stuff you mentioned? Are Wedge exclusively on MHD? Technically it shouldn't matter which platform is used to tune, so I don't really understand wedge's exclusivity if such is the case... but thanks for mentioning wedge (I had come across the name but never really investigated who they were). Let me look into this myself.
I'd have to agree, the customer service aspect is very important. Thats what honestly has steered me away from Dinan..and I was loyal to the tune of over $3000 in parts alone.

One thing that has deterred me from Bootmod (and maybe this is just my perception) is that with joining their facebook group and doing a lot of reading...there is a lot more "boy racer" vibe from their active users..which as far as product positioning goes, isn't the product I want. A lot of the "I drive a 328i and stage 1 and gapped an m4"..

Wedge is exclusive to MHD, and Ive discussed their custom tunes with a few guys who run them (once you get into turbo upgrades it starts making more sense) and their overall feedback is phenomenal.

https://www.wedgeperformanceracing.com/ some good but limited "about us" is on there

Ive heard good things about Cary Jordan as well and knowing that they also work with MHD gives me a better feeling about trying the platform too.

Ive heard also that MHD customer service is pretty responsive too, which matters at this point. I dont want to spend $500 or more with another company that seems to think that 5:01 pm is a good cutoff for answering questions, and cant answer a simple email for weeks at a time.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 11:05 AM   #8
AleksanderSuave
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

I went with CTS Turbo catless. I really wanted to remain catted but everything I see and read is that the feedback of many was that they first went high flow catted, then eventually catless.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 11:17 AM   #9
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Give Bootmod3 a try, most dealers offer it with a money-back guarantee. It's the most advanced tune on the market with unparalleled features and customer support

I tried 2 flash tunes in my car before getting Bootmod3. After using Bootmod3 for 6 months I got a custom map from Cary Jordan. Can be happier with the result

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 11:27 AM   #10
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I went with CTS Turbo catless. I really wanted to remain catted but everything I see and read is that the feedback of many was that they first went high flow catted, then eventually catless.
If I wasn't such a slave to open skies, I would go catless too but alas mine is a convertible and the prospect of smell around me like a go-kart will always be a heartbreaker, and a nose breaker as well.

So, good point! Wedge is tried and true. I read up on them and even that Mike guy from X-PH was saying that he got their tune. As I think more about your situation, and mine, eventually it matters not which platform we go with, even Mission Performance, because we are going to be at the mercy of one tuner, one way or another, by virtue of the custom tune route. It is the tuning entity that matters more than the platform.

However I wouldn't worry about the boy racer aspect of BootMod3. If anything that's a positive because the last thing they want is boy racers pissing on their brand in Facebook or Instagram or TikTok haha. In fact if you think about it, this explains why they build such robust fool proof technology as well and focus on customer service. Boy racers are a fickle demographic; they either love you, or hate you, collectively haha. What matters is that BM3 make a serious product which attracts tuning name brands like Paul and Cary (but then again, so does MHD) and their customer service is beyond awesome. Check out some of the threads here on BM3 and I am blown by how responsive they are working with their users. MHD is an older name, and initially I considered them but the customer experience of BM3 made me change my mind. However one can also reason that MHD makes such an awesome product that their users don't even run into snags so that's why we don't see the same frequency of threads regarding dealing with MHD

Either way Alkesander, you won't go wrong. Spin the BMW Roundel and follow your heart (and pocket).
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 11:36 AM   #11
AleksanderSuave
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
If I wasn't such a slave to open skies, I would go catless too but alas mine is a convertible and the prospect of smell around me like a go-kart will always be a heartbreaker, and a nose breaker as well.

So, good point! Wedge is tried and true. I read up on them and even that Mike guy from X-PH was saying that he got their tune. As I think more about your situation, and mine, eventually it matters not which platform we go with, even Mission Performance, because we are going to be at the mercy of one tuner, one way or another, by virtue of the custom tune route. It is the tuning entity that matters more than the platform.

However I wouldn't worry about the boy racer aspect of BootMod3. If anything that's a positive because the last thing they want is boy racers pissing on their brand in Facebook or Instagram or TikTok haha. In fact if you think about it, this explains why they build such robust fool proof technology as well and focus on customer service. Boy racers are a fickle demographic; they either love you, or hate you, collectively haha. What matters is that BM3 make a serious product which attracts tuning name brands like Paul and Cary (but then again, so does MHD) and their customer service is beyond awesome. Check out some of the threads here on BM3 and I am blown by how responsive they are working with their users. MHD is an older name, and initially I considered them but the customer experience of BM3 made me change my mind. However one can also reason that MHD makes such an awesome product that their users don't even run into snags so that's why we don't see the same frequency of threads regarding dealing with MHD

Either way Alkesander, you won't go wrong. Spin the BMW Roundel and follow your heart (and pocket).
You nailed the pros and cons, and correct in observation that we're basically shopping based on the same principles.

Let me know how yours turns out, and I'll do the same. At this point I have to wait for the downpipe to get here before trying the tune, since I want to make sure I dont run into the CEL issue.

In the mean time, I have to figure out if the Dinan V2 bypass plug will be sufficient, or if I need to uninstall the entire tuner.

Maybe XPH Mike has some insight into that
Appreciate 1
Mehim76.50
      05-09-2020, 11:39 AM   #12
AleksanderSuave
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Give Bootmod3 a try, most dealers offer it with a money-back guarantee. It's the most advanced tune on the market with unparalleled features and customer support

I tried 2 flash tunes in my car before getting Bootmod3. After using Bootmod3 for 6 months I got a custom map from Cary Jordan. Can be happier with the result
Mike, what made you continue looking, and which did you try before Bootmod?
Appreciate 1
BimBimM21486.00
      05-09-2020, 12:20 PM   #13
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Mike, what made you continue looking, and which did you try before Bootmod?
I wanted to try as many options as possible, so when people like you are asking which one to go with I can help them

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 12:29 PM   #14
AleksanderSuave
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
I wanted to try as many options as possible, so when people like you are asking which one to go with I can help them
so which options did you try? and any specifics of what you were happy/unhappy about?

I imagine as an industry vendor, you would have better exposure to competitors tunes.

I doubt most people here are willing to invest $500 per tuning platform (average price, lets not argue details) to really do an apples to apples comparison.

I did look at some B58 tuning feedback on BM3 on a supra forum and they mentioned that in regular driving, the OTS tune would essentially upshift way too early to try to be "aggressive" and then bog the engine down..for example..doing 35 mph in 7th gear, at low RPM.

However, to not be biased, MHD stage 2 OTS mentions some jerky shifting for B58 as well, and their recommendation is either the TCU "limiter", which is essentially the same idea as a piggyback tuner, trick the car into reporting a lower number than it actually is..or using an XHP transmission tune (stage 2 or 3) to truly correct the TCU limitations of stage 1/2 flash tunes.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 12:56 PM   #15
AleksanderSuave
Lieutenant
Rep

I found more references to the overall importance of the transmission tune (and XHP compatibility) in the F10 forums, where they debated MHD vs BM3 as well

https://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1585820
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 02:24 PM   #16
AleksanderSuave
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1699089

Might wanna check this out before buying BM3 LOL
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 06:41 PM   #17
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1699089

Might wanna check this out before buying BM3 LOL
Are you trying to convert me? Because if you are that's a convincing thread!!

Good find! Wedge seems to be highly regarded and I love how they are on the ball!
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 05:41 PM   #18
AleksanderSuave
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Good find! Wedge seems to be highly regarded and I love how they are on the ball!
I was highly tempted to buy BM3 and try it out (money back guarantee and all) since I already have an ENET cable from coding my F30, but the points about MHD having linear throttle mapping, and the XHP tune compatibility (for when you hit transmission torque limits) sound like an overall winner to me. The flame tune seems pretty cool to try out.

Worst case scenario I'll borrow an android device to try it out before the IOS app is ready, but I think I'm sold on MHD.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 05:55 PM   #19
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I was highly tempted to buy BM3 and try it out (money back guarantee and all) since I already have an ENET cable from coding my F30, but the points about MHD having linear throttle mapping, and the XHP tune compatibility (for when you hit transmission torque limits) sound like an overall winner to me. The flame tune seems pretty cool to try out.

Worst case scenario I'll borrow an android device to try it out before the IOS app is ready, but I think I'm sold on MHD.
Yeah dude... I think I am sold on it too. The stupid flames. Come on. Let's do flames hahah
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 08:06 PM   #20
B58togo
Major
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:

So yesterday you thought BM3 was too boy racer and didn't want to be affiliated with that, yet today you want to shoot flames out your exhaust. Makes sense.
      05-10-2020, 09:29 PM   #21
AleksanderSuave
Lieutenant
Rep

I thought the flames were cool. Sure. Not gonna deny that.

Burble tunes are a popular feature on both, but we can also ignore that.

I also mentioned the performance aspects multiple times(transmission particularly), but if the only thing you saw was flame tune, feel free to vilify me, b58togo.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 12:25 AM   #22
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by B58togo View Post
Quote:

So yesterday you thought BM3 was too boy racer and didn't want to be affiliated with that, yet today you want to shoot flames out your exhaust. Makes sense.
Come on man, don't shame Aleksander embracing his inner boy racer okay? We all have one inside, just takes the right mod/tune for it to come out haha

Do you know what differentiates the cool from the uncool? The cool make even the uncool, dorkiest things seem... cool. Nuance is key.

Flames may be dorky af or super cool, depends upon the flamer. Just like driving gloves.
Appreciate 0