THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Tell me about the m240i

08-30-2022, 02:22 AM   #1
stevengiang03
Rep
Drives: BMW

Tell me about the m240i

Hello everybody I am new to the 2 series or not familiar with it I should say. I was looking to get a m240i very soon… What are some interesting things/ features about the car should I know.

Priced at 40k
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-30-2022, 11:16 AM   #2
Ajowhan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m240i 'vert

The door handle are a lot closer to the hinge providing no leverage, door takes effort to pull close.
Appreciate 3
JMcLellan1944.00
Cos270608.50
      08-30-2022, 12:36 PM   #3
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2

Make sure whatever one you buy has a good maintenance record and of course the lower the mileage the less stuff that would have been due for maintenance. Determine if a car was tuned/is tuned and then ask about what tuning, what stage, does it/did it have supporting mods. The B58 motor is very reliable and can be tuned to have lots of power but only if it is done safely (like every motor) and with adequate log reviews to ensure all the metrics look clean.

If you are going with RWD try to find one with an LSD, or go with Xdrive. I wouldn't buy a RWD one without an LSD or without a plan to quickly have one installed-- I did that this summer and it was $2200 plus labor and my car needed it bad.
      08-30-2022, 12:54 PM   #4
owenscj21
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 228i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLellan View Post

If you are going with RWD try to find one with an LSD, or go with Xdrive. I wouldn't buy a RWD one without an LSD or without a plan to quickly have one installed-- I did that this summer and it was $2200 plus labor and my car needed it bad.
As a newer owner of an F22 N20 RWD without LSD, can you advise why?

Just looking to be educated on the issue
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2022, 01:04 PM   #5
atek
I like biscuits
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw m235i

Quote:
Make sure whatever one you buy has a good maintenance record and of course the lower the mileage the less stuff that would have been due for maintenance. Determine if a car was tuned/is tuned and then ask about what tuning, what stage, does it/did it have supporting mods. The B58 motor is very reliable and can be tuned to have lots of power but only if it is done safely (like every motor) and with adequate log reviews to ensure all the metrics look clean.

While the LSD is definintely nice and quite honestly should have been standard, I wouldn't say it makes or breaks the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenscj21 View Post

I have a RWD M235i w/o the LSD, and its still bonkers fun and fast. You can still have amazing corning grip and out of corner traction on power, I've out run cars faster that have an LSD. All about driver skill.

I also used to own an open diff S14 240sx where I learned alot about car control and open drift cornering/drifting.

I'm sure BMW purposely left out the LSD on the F2X series because it would quite literally be as fast if not faster than an M2 and previous gen M3 - and BMW can't have that.

On topic for OP :

-Ask if the Tail Lamp fault has been fixed
-Make sure service is up to date
Appreciate 3
      08-30-2022, 01:06 PM   #6
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:

It's not an issue, like a technical or functionality thing, it's mainly personal preference around drivability. With the B58 pushing out so much torque, and having an open diff, the accelerating out of corners, or just turning onto a road and having to scoot with traffic coming there is so much fighting the traction control, wheel hopping, and so on. I'm a couple thousand miles into the LSD and I'm not sure the traction control has kicked in more than once. I can rip out of corners and the car just keeps moving forward. And with the occasional launch when I'm feeling crazy the car grips and goes.
      08-30-2022, 04:01 PM   #7
stevengiang03
Rep

Quote:

Quote:

Luckily this one is a private sale between a buddy but yeah maintenance record is good, oil change very 1k miles… I know it's excessive but he has access to a bmw dealership.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2022, 04:12 PM   #8
atek
I like biscuits
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevengiang03 View Post
Luckily this one is a private sale between a buddy but yeah maintenance record is good, oil change very 1k miles… I know it's excessive but he has access to a bmw dealership.
I'm sorry oil change every 1k miles? That can't be true, access to a shop or not. Absurd is one thing, but pointless is the other.
The mechanic in me sniffs bs or something is wrong
Appreciate 1
Cos270608.50
      08-30-2022, 04:14 PM   #9
stevengiang03
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atek View Post
Quote:
I'm sorry oil change every 1k miles? That can't be true, access to a shop or not. Absurd is one thing, but pointless is the other.
The mechanic in me sniffs bs or something is wrong
Quote:

He probably was exaggerating but very often to say the least. Other than that yeah everything is well maintained, mods down to it catless dp and bm3 91 ots map
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2022, 09:53 PM   #10
Nickies
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M240I

Quote:
He probably was exaggerating but very often to say the least. Other than that yeah everything is well maintained, mods down to it catless dp and bm3 91 ots map
I would not pay attention at all to somebody saying that a RWD without LSD is crap. Nobody needs to invest in an LSD to have the car drivable and enjoy it.

As for maintenance, I am at 30K from new and just do oil changes at 6-7K with only OEM oil and filters, replace engine and cabin filters every year and follow the book for brake flush. There is nothing else to do. Spark plugs are not before 50K. Mine is stock, I am still on warranty, I don't have mods and everything is flawless from the beginning.

Since it is catless with mods, you need to know if you have to pass smog.
2019 M240i, Melbourne Red, Black Interior. 3M Tint, Premium Package, Harman Kardon, Adaptive LED Head Lights, M Performance Exhaust and Diffuser, Chrome Exhaust Tips, 719M Bi Color Wheels, Black Kidney Grille, Burger Tuning JB+.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2022, 09:57 PM   #11
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickies View Post
Mine is stock...I don't have mods
Except for "Burger Tuning JB+", right?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2022, 12:12 AM   #12
SoftShoe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '19 BMW M240i

It’s not lowered?
To me, it looks like it might be.

Personally, I’d be out at catless and tuned.

But, for you, I’d say if it’s manual, drive it to make sure you like auto rev matching or driving with all the nannies turned off (because you can’t have both).

For auto … well, I think it’s great.

For both, I’d ask about the taillight, too - not a huge deal, but will cost something out of warranty. I’m 2019 and was impacted by that under warranty. And I’m LSD, too. Because my last car was and in the 240 I very quickly realized that one spinning drive wheel is something I don’t want or need to get used to.

Last edited by SoftShoe; 08-31-2022 at 12:18 AM..
Appreciate 1
JMcLellan1944.00
      08-31-2022, 12:26 AM   #13
SoftShoe
Private First Class
Rep

Oh. And be ok with the tiny gas tank.
Appreciate 2
Cos270608.50
      08-31-2022, 09:21 AM   #14
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickies View Post
I would not pay attention at all to somebody saying that a RWD without LSD is crap. Nobody needs to invest in an LSD to have the car drivable and enjoy it.

As for maintenance, I am at 30K from new and just do oil changes at 6-7K with only OEM oil and filters, replace engine and cabin filters every year and follow the book for brake flush. There is nothing else to do. Spark plugs are not before 50K. Mine is stock, I am still on warranty, I don't have mods and everything is flawless from the beginning.

Since it is catless with mods, you need to know if you have to pass smog.
Seems like I ruffled some feathers with a few here about my LSD comments. This is all based on my personal preference, my driving ability (I'm a novice for sure and need more experience/instruction), and I can now fully compare pre-LSD to post-LSD and my car completely transformed with that modification. Yes totally agree the car is a blast without an LSD and it is not required but darn I'm sure glad I added it this year.
      08-31-2022, 12:18 PM   #15
Nickies
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M240I

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
Except for "Burger Tuning JB+", right?
I don't consider it to be a mod.
2019 M240i, Melbourne Red, Black Interior. 3M Tint, Premium Package, Harman Kardon, Adaptive LED Head Lights, M Performance Exhaust and Diffuser, Chrome Exhaust Tips, 719M Bi Color Wheels, Black Kidney Grille, Burger Tuning JB+.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2022, 12:46 PM   #16
atek
I like biscuits
United_States
Rep

If you know how to modulate the throttle [drive], non-lsd cars are fine for every day use.

If all you want to do is mash gas to the floor and go straight with very little drama, then AWD (xdrive) is for you.

If you want the most balance out of the rear end for power delivery, then LSD is where you go.

You can always add an LSD to open diff cars. Way cheaper than buying the wrong car / transmission for what you want from the get-go.
Appreciate 4
JMcLellan1944.00
WolfGTI688.50
Cos270608.50
      09-02-2022, 02:44 PM   #17
SoftShoe
Private First Class
Rep

Here’s one kid’s opinion on open diffs (and LSDs)
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TOC5PDZqh5U

Last edited by SoftShoe; 09-02-2022 at 03:06 PM..
Appreciate 1
JMcLellan1944.00
      09-02-2022, 02:46 PM   #18
stevengiang03
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

While the LSD is definintely nice and quite honestly should have been standard, I wouldn't say it makes or breaks the car.

Quote:

I have a RWD M235i w/o the LSD, and its still bonkers fun and fast. You can still have amazing corning grip and out of corner traction on power, I've out run cars faster that have an LSD. All about driver skill.

I also used to own an open diff S14 240sx where I learned alot about car control and open drift cornering/drifting.

I'm sure BMW purposely left out the LSD on the F2X series because it would quite literally be as fast if not faster than an M2 and previous gen M3 - and BMW can't have that.

On topic for OP :

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

On topic for OP :

Yeah I have checked with my buddy and everything is up to date and we'll taken care of!
Appreciate 0