THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum 2 Series Photos and Videos Saw a fellow 2-er, got happy.....then got rear-ended, now I sad

06-27-2019, 06:06 PM   #1
Kokanator135
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: seeking m240i

So this happened.....

Did a small Home Depot run for an AC filter on my way home from work today, no big. Got an older SUV for the bigger/messier trips....but when I pulled into the parking lot, I see my hero who obviously dailies the hell out of the m235i x-drive

Then..........bam! Sad
A truck rear ended me as I'm yielding to traffic to turn right onto the main road. Nobody hurt... definitely could've been worse, but I've got less than 2000 miles on the car, special-ordered dream car. Good news is the guy already accepted responsibility. The bad news is that it seems there's limited coverage from which to pay me, according to the very nice adjuster from USAA. Getting an estimate tomorrow.

I'm obviously going to insist on OEM parts, needs to be done at a BMW-approved shop, but I'm worried about anything I can't see. What if there's damage to the exhaust or something thrown out of whack in the convertible mechanism? Do I go for diminished value?

I've never pursued diminished value before. How do I even do that? Is it possible if there's limited coverage for the guy at fault?

To end on a happier note, I was ecstatic to see a 2-er with a cargo rack on the back, and I wanted to wave at you from the site of my unfortunate accident when you passed by. Thanks in advance for any advice!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 10:37 PM   #2
Kokanator135
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Update with pics
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 11:58 PM   #3
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 C8 Corvette 1LT

Garage List
I will say this about USAA because they shafted me on my diminished value claim... unless a body panel is replaced, they will claim no diminished value.

When you talk to the claims adjuster, tell them you want to file a diminished value claim. They give you a form to fill out and email in. Takes about a week and then they will tell you yes or no.

Judging by the pictures, the panel may just need to be repainted and some clips fixed. They will probably try to no panels replaced and give you the middle finger. I needed a rock slider replaced and a wheel replaced after my accident (thankfully my truck sat higher than the other car and it was lower impact). They still declined my diminished value claim. Traded the truck in 2 months later and was given $2k less on trade because carfax showed an accident. Tried to fight it with USAA and they stuck with “no panel was replaced.”

I’ll never do business with those scumbags ever. And this is coming from a 5 year AD vet who’s now a reservist. They still didn’t care to help a vet out.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 06:01 AM   #4
Kokanator135
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe240 View Post
I will say this about USAA because they shafted me on my diminished value claim... unless a body panel is replaced, they will claim no diminished value.

When you talk to the claims adjuster, tell them you want to file a diminished value claim. They give you a form to fill out and email in. Takes about a week and then they will tell you yes or no.

Judging by the pictures, the panel may just need to be repainted and some clips fixed. They will probably try to no panels replaced and give you the middle finger. I needed a rock slider replaced and a wheel replaced after my accident (thankfully my truck sat higher than the other car and it was lower impact). They still declined my diminished value claim. Traded the truck in 2 months later and was given $2k less on trade because carfax showed an accident. Tried to fight it with USAA and they stuck with "no panel was replaced."

I'll never do business with those scumbags ever. And this is coming from a 5 year AD vet who's now a reservist. They still didn't care to help a vet out.
I'm really sorry for your awful experience...but I really appreciate the advice. I also agree with your assessment of the damage. It doesn't look as bad as I thought right when it occurred.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 12:32 PM   #5
Kokanator135
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

So update...stopped by at the shop I was referred to by USAA.

They are supposed to email me the estimate. The guy said the m-performance diffuser needs ordered, but that the bumper itself should be repainted and not even replaced. He stated it would fit better putting the original part back on. I asked about the indent from the bumper of the guy that hit me, I could probably figure out most of his license plate from the imprint in my bumper, and the guy said the plastic should come back to shape with application of heat and their "plastic welding" product would take care of the rest. None of the lines matching with the other panels are messed up, and the parking sensors in the bumper seem intact, to give an idea of the extent of the damage. Does this seem right?

I also asked about this place being BMW certified, and he stated all the techs have gone to some class that qualifies them to work on BMWs. The only cars they cannot do are Tesla and most exotics. Does this seem reputable?
My alternative is a shop attached to the local BMW-MINI dealership. They told me to just drop off the car next week with the estimate from the USAA-authorized shop and I could just have the work done there.

I haven't talked to the adjuster yet re: my estimate as I'm waiting for the actual numbers. Any advice is appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 12:37 PM   #6
Kokanator135
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I also thought about painting part of the M-performance diffuser body color. I realize 'search' but I can't seem to find good examples. I don't like the whole thing painted, no longer looks sporty. Even painting just the top section, and leaving the bottom ribbed section matte black plastic seems like the rear proportions get thrown off.

I'm contemplating leaving a small strip of matte black plastic at the top, then getting the middle section painted body color, the leaving the ribbed section black plastic again. I can't find a good pic showing an example, so help/opinions are appreciated here too!
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 12:38 PM   #7
Kokanator135
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I also thought about painting part of the M-performance diffuser body color. I realize 'search' but I can't seem to find good examples. I don't like the whole thing painted, no longer looks sporty. Even painting just the top section, and leaving the bottom ribbed section matte black plastic seems like the rear proportions get thrown off.

I'm contemplating leaving a small strip of matte black plastic at the top, then getting the middle section painted body color, the leaving the ribbed section black plastic again. I can't find a good pic showing an example, so help/opinions are appreciated here too!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2019, 05:47 PM   #8
PARTS@STBMW
Rep
Drives: BMW

Oh no!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2019, 06:26 AM   #9
beauderek
Client Advisor/Radio DJ
Rep
Drives: 2006 bmw 330xi/2019 bmw 230i

Garage List
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Check this thread out. Pashad13 has a car with the look you are possibly going for.

https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1629150
f22 230i delivered 12/27/18/Seaside Blue/Oyster Sensatec/Manual/Heated front seats, Track & Handling package/CF mirrors and rear spoiler/M Sport front bumper/Shadowline trim/M Performance shift knob/1 Series (f21) M Sport steering wheel
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 03:52 PM   #10
keylime503
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT, Audi A4 Avant

If the other party is at fault then you can go to any body shop you choose. You do not have to go to the shop USAA is telling you to go to, but you may have to go to their shop to get an initial estimate.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 01:40 AM   #11
Oldbay
Private
Rep
Drives: M240IC 6MT RWD

Damn! Sorry to hear that dude. I know it's an old post. We might have to get a Maryland group together!
Appreciate 1