THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Rental car surprise at ATL

12-04-2014, 09:15 PM   #1
krhodes1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Wagon

Garage List
2011 128i  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i Touring  [10.00]
Rental car surprise at ATL

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I'm in Atlanta for work for the next four days, and since ATL is on of the places that the German rental car company Sixt operates, I went with them instead of my usual Hertz. I reserved a Mercedes CLA, $40/day. When I got to the counter, they gave me the choice of the CLA, an Audi A3, or a 228i!

So I am getting a very nice extended test drive - I had only done a short drive in a loaded M-Sport previously. It's a silver on black "no line" car with sunroof, power seats, and butt heat for options. Autotragic of course. So far, I am pretty impressed. I am perfectly happy with the standard seats, which is good because I don't really want the Sportline package. The Track Handling Package gets me where I want to be with the car, the cosmetic changes I don't care for. It goes like stink - I still won't buy an automatic, but it is a really, deeply impressive automatic. Going to be a fun few days, and I even have a fair bit of driving to do between sites.

Of course, this will just seal the deal for screwing with my carefully planned house renovation budget so I can order one in 2015. Sigh. The smart thing to do would be to trade my wagon for one, but I just can't do it. Has to be the Abarth that gets the chop. Good friend wants it, so at least I will get visitation when I need my mental Italian car fix.

'11 328! Touring - Tasman on Chestnut, 6spd manual, factory upside-down "i" option
'11 128i Convertible - Space Gray on Savannah Beige, 6spd manual,
also '14 Mercedes-Benz E350 wagon, '95 Land Rover Discovery, '74 Triumph Spitfire
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2014, 09:44 PM   #2
chaswyck1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i Valencia Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by krhodes1 View Post
I'm in Atlanta for work for the next four days, and since ATL is on of the places that the German rental car company Sixt operates, I went with them instead of my usual Hertz. I reserved a Mercedes CLA, $40/day. When I got to the counter, they gave me the choice of the CLA, an Audi A3, or a 228i!

So I am getting a very nice extended test drive - I had only done a short drive in a loaded M-Sport previously. It's a silver on black "no line" car with sunroof, power seats, and butt heat for options. Autotragic of course. So far, I am pretty impressed. I am perfectly happy with the standard seats, which is good because I don't really want the Sportline package. The Track Handling Package gets me where I want to be with the car, the cosmetic changes I don't care for. It goes like stink - I still won't buy an automatic, but it is a really, deeply impressive automatic. Going to be a fun few days, and I even have a fair bit of driving to do between sites.

Of course, this will just seal the deal for screwing with my carefully planned house renovation budget so I can order one in 2015. Sigh. The smart thing to do would be to trade my wagon for one, but I just can't do it. Has to be the Abarth that gets the chop. Good friend wants it, so at least I will get visitation when I need my mental Italian car fix.
That really is a stroke of luck! Many dealers don't have even one 228 and this place is renting them? Amazing!
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2014, 10:51 PM   #3
rhinothatflies
Private
Rep
Drives: 228i X-Drive M-Sport w/THP

Brilliant! Can you comment on the steering feel of the THP?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2014, 11:04 PM   #4
chaswyck1
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinothatflies View Post
Did I miss that? The rental car had THP???
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2014, 11:49 PM   #5
rhinothatflies
Private
Rep
Drives: 228i X-Drive M-Sport w/THP

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaswyck@yahoo.com View Post
Did I miss that? The rental car had THP???
no i doubt it, but he said the THP got him where he wanted to be in terms of performance, i was wondering where he experienced that and what he thought about it.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2014, 12:50 AM   #6
chaswyck1
Lieutenant
Rep

I ordered mine with THP but obviously I've never driven one with it. Where I live you're lucky to be able to find one to drive but it definitely won't have THP.

Quote:
no i doubt it, but he said the THP got him where he wanted to be in terms of performance, i was wondering where he experienced that and what he thought about it.

Last edited by chaswyck1; 12-05-2014 at 11:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2014, 03:21 AM   #7
DSTR
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 M240iX / 23 M2 Tor-Red

Avis at Atlanta had BMW when I was transiting there for a holiday. Nice find and enjoy it. Long tests always helps decisions.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2014, 04:51 AM   #8
2+3=5
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2

Pics?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2014, 09:06 AM   #9
CE750Jockey
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 M240 'vert 6MT

Like many, I'm debating the THP as well. Hopefully the OP can give us some more info on the standard trans of the rental.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2014, 10:24 AM   #10
DeaconBlues
Ambassador
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 228i M Sport

I know where I'll be renting a car the next time I fly into Atlanta... thanks for the tip!
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2014, 11:25 AM   #11
five3three
Major
Rep
Drives: m2c

Quote:
That really is a stroke of luck! Many dealers don't have even one 228 and this place is renting them? Amazing!
Sixt had several rental 228's in their lot when I was in Florida recently. I didn't go for one as I had reserved something else.

They were all the same silver on black no line configuration that the OP described. Looks like Sixt put in a large fleet order on those. They also had all the others like CLA and A3.

Last edited by five3three; 12-05-2014 at 11:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2014, 12:27 PM   #12
uberspeed
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i

I love Sixt, enjoy the seat time!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2014, 09:55 PM   #13
krhodes1
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2011 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Sorry, haven't managed to get a drive in one with that option yet. This car is just a base no-line car with a few options. Steers just fine, I prefer the lighter weight of the new generation.

'11 328! Touring - Tasman on Chestnut, 6spd manual, factory upside-down "i" option
also '14 Mercedes-Benz E350 wagon, '95 Land Rover Discovery, '74 Triumph Spitfire
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2014, 10:04 PM   #14
krhodes1
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2011 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
In the sense that I want the sport suspension, better brakes, and better tires, but I don't really want the cosmetic aspects of the Sport Line car, or the added cost for those cosmetic changes. Not that this car has that option, it does not. I have driven an M-Sport, my understanding is that the THP suspension allows you to have either softer or firmer than that setup. Which is probably perfect if the comfort rides like the base car, and Sport is a bit harder for when you really want to go.

I am actually AMAZED at how smoothly this car rides. MUCH more smoother over broken pavement than my '11 328i is. And it still handles beautifully. The steering is much lighter, which makes the car feel much more agile.

One annoying thing with the automatic in this car is that choosing sport firms things up, but also locks out 8th gear unless you use the paddles. I found that quite annoying. And the transmission was WAY too twitchy for my taste in Sport. The car has a ton of torque, it doesn't need to be downshifting constantly. Of course, a manual solves all of these issues.

Appreciate 0
      12-06-2014, 10:05 PM   #15
krhodes1
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2011 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2+3=5 View Post
Pics?
Weather has sucked - I hope to take a couple before I turn it in tomorrow. I have to be out of my hotel by 11, but my flight isn't until 3 so I guess I will just HAVE to drive it around some more!

Appreciate 0
      12-06-2014, 10:09 PM   #16
krhodes1
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2011 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconBlues View Post
I know where I'll be renting a car the next time I fly into Atlanta... thanks for the tip!
They have ~25 locations around the country. Some are not at airports though.

And if you fly into a city that has Silver Car, they are AMAZING too. All they rent are Audi A4s, fully loaded with NAV etc. And they will fill the tank for you for a $5 fee, no charge for the gas! I have one reserved in Dallas next week, $74/day. Not as cheap as Sixt, but you are getting an almost free tank of gas out of it so it evens out. That one will be great as I have to drive out into the middle of nowhere in Oklahoma. Last time I went there Hertz "upgraded" me to a Crown Victoria. Ugh.

Appreciate 0
      12-06-2014, 10:23 PM   #17
chaswyck1
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by krhodes1 View Post
In the sense that I want the sport suspension, better brakes, and better tires, but I don't really want the cosmetic aspects of the Sport Line car, or the added cost for those cosmetic changes. Not that this car has that option, it does not. I have driven an M-Sport, my understanding is that the THP suspension allows you to have either softer or firmer than that setup. Which is probably perfect if the comfort rides like the base car, and Sport is a bit harder for when you really want to go.

I am actually AMAZED at how smoothly this car rides. MUCH more smoother over broken pavement than my '11 328i is. And it still handles beautifully. The steering is much lighter, which makes the car feel much more agile.

One annoying thing with the automatic in this car is that choosing sport firms things up, but also locks out 8th gear unless you use the paddles. I found that quite annoying. And the transmission was WAY too twitchy for my taste in Sport. The car has a ton of torque, it doesn't need to be downshifting constantly. Of course, a manual solves all of these issues.
One thing I noticed on my test drive is how easy it is to unintentionally put the car in neutral. I usually drive with my arm on the armrest and my hand on the shift knob, or in the case of the AT, the selector. At the first top sign after leaving the dealership my forward momentum caused my hand to move forward ever so slightly, but enough to put the car into neutral. I'm concerned that I'm going to have to change the placement of my right arm and hand after far too many years of doing it the way I do now. That won't be fun.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2014, 11:02 PM   #18
krhodes1
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2011 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
One thing I noticed on my test drive is how easy it is to unintentionally put the car in neutral. I usually drive with my arm on the armrest and my hand on the shift knob, or in the case of the AT, the selector. At the first top sign after leaving the dealership my forward momentum caused my hand to move forward ever so slightly, but enough to put the car into neutral. I'm concerned that I'm going to have to change the placement of my right arm and hand after far too many years of doing it the way I do now. That won't be fun.
I managed to do that twice this week! That shifter design is just plain stupid, BMW being different for the sake of being different. Pushing forward to get from park to reverse is just nuts.

Mine will be a stickshift, so no problem!

Appreciate 0
      12-09-2014, 07:22 PM   #19
mfourn20
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i M Sport

I have an m sport 228 with a manual trans. I agree and actually hated the shifter in the automatic cars. To me it feels very dainty and completely disconnected from any mechanical aspect.

Call me a caveman but I think there's something manly about a manual or at the very least an automatic shift lever that feels mechanical and not electronic.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2014, 07:52 PM   #20
chaswyck1
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfourn20 View Post
I have an m sport 228 with a manual trans. I agree and actually hated the shifter in the automatic cars. To me it feels very dainty and completely disconnected from any mechanical aspect.

Call me a caveman but I think there's something manly about a manual or at the very least an automatic shift lever that feels mechanical and not electronic.
It IS "disconnected from any mechanical aspect". There's nothing mechanical about it. I'm driving a 328 loaner right now until my car arrives so I have an opportunity to get used to the A/T selector. It is completely non-intuitive that you push the thing forward to go in reverse. Something else I'm finding bothersome is that there is a very brief, but annoying delay when you push the button to put it into park (yes, you read right - push a button! Reminds me of my 1961 Plymouth Valiant with the push button gear selector on the dash). I suppose I'll get used to it, but I do miss actually moving the selector to put it into reverse, drive and park and that forward motion to put it into neutral is annoying. When do you ever put an A/T into neutral anyway? You either have it in drive, reverse or park. Just venting...
Appreciate 0