THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes Brake pad squeaking without braking

10-01-2023, 12:33 AM   #1
Pbdeed
Private
Rep
Drives: M240i

Brake pad squeaking without braking

Hello,

About a year ago (November 22) I changed both brake discs and pads (OEM discs and Endless MX72 pads). After a track day in, May 23, I started to hear pad squeaking when braking very very light at low speed. I supposed it was crystallization of the pads and ask the workshop to sand them a little bit (July 23). After that, when cold, I didn't even hear the brake pads when braking but if I used the car for a while with a few intense brakings then I can start hearing the squeaking again when braking. This is not a problem for me any more, I assumed this pads could make some sounds when demanding them.

But here is the problem. Yesterday I did the longest travel since the car was at the worshop in May and after some highway at high speed with some braking, when I was back to a road at 50 or 60 km/h I could hear the brakes squeaking WITHOUT touching the brake. It wasn't a continuous squeaking, it was intermitent (like with every rotation of the wheel) and if I applied some pressure in the brake, the sound stopped. Yesterday I went to a track and I could also hear the sound when moving very slow in the parking after going out from the track. It seems it's the rear right wheel but I also think one of the left side also does it.

In summary, when brakes are hot (after some intense braking) at least rear right brakes make some squeaking from very low speed up to 60 km/h (over that I think road noise offuscates that sound) withouth applying any brake pressure. Both brake pads and discs are pretty new, very few usage (2000 km or so).

Do you know what could be the problem?

Last edited by Pbdeed; 10-01-2023 at 01:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2023, 07:33 PM   #2
jb-slow
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m235i

It's just the pads, my track pads do the same thing. Higher performance = more noise.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2023, 06:25 AM   #3
Pbdeed
Private
Rep

jb-slow And it sounds even when you DON'T brake?

Last edited by Pbdeed; 10-05-2023 at 02:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2023, 06:33 PM   #4
jb-slow
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m235i

Yep
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2023, 04:43 PM   #5
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbdeed View Post
Hello,

About a year ago (November 22) I changed both brake discs and pads (OEM discs and Endless MX72 pads). After a track day in, May 23, I started to hear pad squeaking when braking very very light at low speed. I supposed it was crystallization of the pads and ask the workshop to sand them a little bit (July 23). After that, when cold, I didn't even hear the brake pads when braking but if I used the car for a while with a few intense brakings then I can start hearing the squeaking again when braking. This is not a problem for me any more, I assumed this pads could make some sounds when demanding them.

But here is the problem. Yesterday I did the longest travel since the car was at the worshop in May and after some highway at high speed with some braking, when I was back to a road at 50 or 60 km/h I could hear the brakes squeaking WITHOUT touching the brake. It wasn't a continuous squeaking, it was intermitent (like with every rotation of the wheel) and if I applied some pressure in the brake, the sound stopped. Yesterday I went to a track and I could also hear the sound when moving very slow in the parking after going out from the track. It seems it's the rear right wheel but I also think one of the left side also does it.

In summary, when brakes are hot (after some intense braking) at least rear right brakes make some squeaking from very low speed up to 60 km/h (over that I think road noise offuscates that sound) withouth applying any brake pressure. Both brake pads and discs are pretty new, very few usage (2000 km or so).

Do you know what could be the problem?
That pad is similar to the Ferodo DS2500 hybrid pad. Some noise is completely normal on the street.

Some track pads are louder when cold than hot, so keep that in mind.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2023, 01:47 PM   #6
Pbdeed
Private
Rep

Thanks HP Autosport for you message.

I understand that some noise is normal when braking but when just driving/accelerating, without applying any brake pressure, is that normal too?

In my case, it sounds more once they are hot than cold.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2023, 02:04 PM   #7
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Thanks HP Autosport for you message.

I understand that some noise is normal when braking but when just driving/accelerating, without applying any brake pressure, is that normal too?

In my case, it sounds more once they are hot than cold.
Brake pads are in slight contact with the rotor at all times, so I can see them making noise even without the brakes being applied.

A trick of the trade to reduce noise is to chamfer the leading edges of the pads. Give that a try.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2023, 01:51 PM   #8
Pbdeed
Private
Rep

I'll try it. Thanks for the advice.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2023, 01:59 PM   #9
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'll try it. Thanks for the advice.
Some pads come that way, and some don't. Let us know if you can resolve the issue with that trick.
Appreciate 0