THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes Wheel Hop Cure - diff mounts or subframe?

07-19-2023, 02:03 PM   #1
SpencerC_6MT
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M240i 6MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M240I  [0.00]
Wheel Hop Cure - diff mounts or subframe?

Originally posted on F3x forum to get more attention

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1#post30322081
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2023, 03:46 AM   #2
Matthewricha
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M235i

Like Watsey in that thread, I have Whiteline KDT917 subframe bushes on my M235i. Removes that horrible loose feeling at the rear of the car with side-to-side hopping and also improves steering feel. I tried the Powerflex inserts, but they were not good enough for me, but I guess a good improvement.

Previously had subframe and diff bushes fitted on my E92 335i. The diff bushes, KDT919 added a significant amount of NVH which I didn't like.
Appreciate 1
      08-04-2023, 08:21 PM   #3
O Stater
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthewricha View Post
Like Watsey in that thread, I have Whiteline KDT917 subframe bushes on my M235i. Removes that horrible loose feeling at the rear of the car with side-to-side hopping and also improves steering feel. I tried the Powerflex inserts, but they were not good enough for me, but I guess a good improvement.

Previously had subframe and diff bushes fitted on my E92 335i. The diff bushes, KDT919 added a significant amount of NVH which I didn't like.
My '17 M240 darts or travels in ruts or other road anomolies, I changed all of the front control arms in effort to fix it but it made 0 difference. Do you think its the subframe bushings? or rear control arms? I have the x drive so I have no wheel hop, just drifting or darting.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2023, 03:46 AM   #4
Matthewricha
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by O Stater View Post
My '17 M240 darts or travels in ruts or other road anomolies, I changed all of the front control arms in effort to fix it but it made 0 difference. Do you think its the subframe bushings? or rear control arms? I have the x drive so I have no wheel hop, just drifting or darting.
I can't say for sure if subframe bushes would solve your issue. All i would say is that the standard bushes allow quite a bit of flex in the rear subframe, i.e. front to back, side to side and up and down, so can be affected by ruts in road.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2023, 11:04 PM   #5
O Stater
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthewricha View Post
I can't say for sure if subframe bushes would solve your issue. All i would say is that the standard bushes allow quite a bit of flex in the rear subframe, i.e. front to back, side to side and up and down, so can be affected by ruts in road.
I'll probably replace all of the rear bushings with whiteline bushing or just go for the megan arm replacements to have heim joints. The Megan route may be too harsh for a daily driver though.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2023, 10:42 PM   #6
WolfGTI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F22,15 E84 M Sport,02 R53

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
2002 MINI Cooper S  [0.00]
2015 BMW X1  [0.00]
I have replaced all my rear arms with megan arms and the front bushings are now all spherical joints, not too harsh for the road at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by O Stater View Post
I'll probably replace all of the rear bushings with whiteline bushing or just go for the megan arm replacements to have heim joints. The Megan route may be too harsh for a daily driver though.
Ohlins R&T coilovers, Turner monoball thrust arms, F87 LCAs, GC camber plates, Superpro subframe bushings, Megan Racing adj. RCAs, delrin differential bushings. Stoptech BBK 6 piston (f) 4 piston (r).
Appreciate 0