THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Tracking / Autocrossing Welcome Track Rats

06-22-2015, 04:43 PM   #23
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEUE02 View Post
I'm a regular HPDE attendee and instructor. My track rides have been, in order, a 1996 Carrera 4S, a 2004 Mini Cooper S, a 2004 M3, a 2007 Cayman S and now a 2014 Carrera S. I am not sure I will track my M235 though I haven't decided for sure. I saw my first one at the track this past weekend and the owner was all smiles!

how does the cayman and carrera compare that you driven both?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 09:43 PM   #24
NEUE02
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

Both wonderful but very different. The Carrera is roomier, more insulated from the engine and drivetrain noise and is quite luxurious to drive. But push a few buttons and the personality changes completely. It turns into a real hooligan.

The Cayman has a tighter, some say slightly claustrophobic, interior. The engine is at your back and the transmission under your elbow. You really wear the Cayman. But it all works very, very well.

On the track the Cayman is the naturally better balanced car which is quite easy to drive quickly and is very predictable, except when it's not. You see, when a mid engined car spins, it does so VERY quickly. But its a wonderful driver. While not as powerful as the Carrera you use your momentum through corners to really keep your speed up. I absolutely loved the Cayman on the track.

The extra power of the Carrera is immediately evident and that's what sold me. It's a completely different feel. The rear weight bias isn't really all that noticeable due to the advances of the new 991 chassis, but the ability to power out of corners so much earlier than the Cayman (and most other cars) is what makes it a joy to push hard.

There are no losers here!
      06-22-2015, 11:09 PM   #25
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Both wonderful but very different. The Carrera is roomier, more insulated from the engine and drivetrain noise and is quite luxurious to drive. But push a few buttons and the personality changes completely. It turns into a real hooligan.

The Cayman has a tighter, some say slightly claustrophobic, interior. The engine is at your back and the transmission under your elbow. You really wear the Cayman. But it all works very, very well.

On the track the Cayman is the naturally better balanced car which is quite easy to drive quickly and is very predictable, except when it's not. You see, when a mid engined car spins, it does so VERY quickly. But its a wonderful driver. While not as powerful as the Carrera you use your momentum through corners to really keep your speed up. I absolutely loved the Cayman on the track.

The extra power of the Carrera is immediately evident and that's what sold me. It's a completely different feel. The rear weight bias isn't really all that noticeable due to the advances of the new 991 chassis, but the ability to power out of corners so much earlier than the Cayman (and most other cars) is what makes it a joy to push hard.

There are no losers here!
I see... ya I got a ride on a HPDE on a GT3 RS and that thing would get out of the corners like a locomotive....

Now I see why all the guys that are serious about track days get a GT3
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 04:42 PM   #26
Pparana
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Quote:
I'm a regular HPDE attendee and instructor. My track rides have been, in order, a 1996 Carrera 4S, a 2004 Mini Cooper S, a 2004 M3, a 2007 Cayman S and now a 2014 Carrera S. I am not sure I will track my M235 though I haven't decided for sure. I saw my first one at the track this past weekend and the owner was all smiles!

NEUE02,

I had a 13 991, which saw about 7k in track miles before it was retired due to a tire failure and a retaining wall.

My m235i, while not really stock anymore is way more fun. The 991, while fast did not require much input and would always be happy to intrude with its ptv and pdcc.

I was at my home track last week, and was running 2 seconds faster in my m235i, than I was in my buddies 991 s with a powerkit. I set both laps and my car is manual and his is PDK.

The m235i modded is such an unassuming car, it really catches other drivers off guard. Granted once you mod it as much as I have, you really have to drive it because the power is way over what the traction control systems were designed for, which is so much fun.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 09:09 AM   #27
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pparana View Post
NEUE02,

I had a 13 991, which saw about 7k in track miles before it was retired due to a tire failure and a retaining wall.

My m235i, while not really stock anymore is way more fun. The 991, while fast did not require much input and would always be happy to intrude with its ptv and pdcc.

I was at my home track last week, and was running 2 seconds faster in my m235i, than I was in my buddies 991 s with a powerkit. I set both laps and my car is manual and his is PDK.

The m235i modded is such an unassuming car, it really catches other drivers off guard. Granted once you mod it as much as I have, you really have to drive it because the power is way over what the traction control systems were designed for, which is so much fun.
Your 235 is more fun than the 991!? I would never expect to hear that. Is the 991 just too easy to drive fast on the track?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2015, 12:21 AM   #28
racerstf
Private
Rep

I raced go-karts/shifter karts for 10 years and late model stock cars for a year... I'm picking up my M235i September 19th in Munich, and will be taking it the the Nurbergring before I come home. Many track days to come after that once it arrives in SoCal.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2015, 11:14 AM   #29
Pparana
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris82 View Post
Your 235 is more fun than the 991!? I would never expect to hear that. Is the 991 just too easy to drive fast on the track?
more or less, it is almost like a simulator. It can make a bad driver a pretty good one, because it fixes so much. Problem is take them out of that car and they will be in trouble. I actually redid the rear alignment to give it way more oversteer for fun and to improve my driving. Cayman and 991 are great hdpe cars for 3-4 times a year, but I did not find it very stimulating. Did about 12 track days in it before it was retired.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 05:55 AM   #30
FelixGTS
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [10.00]
Took my 2er for the first few laps on the 'Ring last weekend. After reading a lot in the forum about you guys tracking your cars I just couldn´t wait finally trying the 2 myself.
I was used to the track to a certain extend, but only from my last car - E92. This felt much more secure, much more steady especially through low speed corners.
The 235 on the other hand feels much more agile but also quite nervous on the brakes and on downshifts. I think that will take some getting used to from my side. Lap 1 was quite a struggle to keep things together. Lap 4 was then a smoother. You have to work the throttle precisely through corners and not overwhelm the tires with braking, downshifting and steering on the turn-in too much. I think once you can handle that, the 235 is a very rewarding car to drive on a track.

BTW: 4 Laps of the Nordschleife eat roughly half your tank.
Picture:
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      05-01-2016, 05:03 PM   #31
i8ur911
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F22 228i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixGTS View Post
Took my 2er for the first few laps on the 'Ring last weekend. After reading a lot in the forum about you guys tracking your cars I just couldn´t wait finally trying the 2 myself.
I was used to the track to a certain extend, but only from my last car - E92. This felt much more secure, much more steady especially through low speed corners.
The 235 on the other hand feels much more agile but also quite nervous on the brakes and on downshifts. I think that will take some getting used to from my side. Lap 1 was quite a struggle to keep things together. Lap 4 was then a smoother. You have to work the throttle precisely through corners and not overwhelm the tires with braking, downshifting and steering on the turn-in too much. I think once you can handle that, the 235 is a very rewarding car to drive on a track.

BTW: 4 Laps of the Nordschleife eat roughly half your tank.
Picture:
Awesome photo!

I'm amazingly jealous too 😃
Appreciate 1
      05-01-2016, 07:03 PM   #32
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: like i stole it...

Can i borrow ur 2er and a couch?

1997 M3 Sedan Auto Cosmo Black Metallic
2018 x3 m40 Auto Grey Metallic
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 02:02 AM   #33
FelixGTS
Private
Germany
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by i8ur911 View Post
Awesome photo!

I'm amazingly jealous too 😃
Thanks! I enjoy living that close to the 'Ring... It´s just a great place to spend time at if you´re a bit of a car guy.

bryan_f22 Bring your 2er and I´ll join you on a lap.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 06:38 PM   #34
nike001
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 718 Cayman

Does anybody have a recommendation for tire pressures for stock MPSS tires?

Prepping for my first track day at Pocono Raceway tomorrow afternoon
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 07:20 PM   #35
AKPAB
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nike001 View Post
Does anybody have a recommendation for tire pressures for stock MPSS tires?

Prepping for my first track day at Pocono Raceway tomorrow afternoon
The stock MPSS roll over easily, so you will definitely want to increase pressure. I guess some depends on the session time. I would probably recommend to start around 38 psi up front, which will allow some heat to build, and once they are 40 to 42 hot they should be ok. If you get to 45 or so, they will probably slide a bit. Any less than 38 will demolish the sidewalls.

I auto-x, so I know nothing about brakes, but your tires and brakes may need a rest around the same time...possibly...just a guess...good luck, and please report.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 07:24 PM   #36
nike001
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKPAB View Post
The stock MPSS roll over easily, so you will definitely want to increase pressure. I guess some depends on the session time. I would probably recommend to start around 38 psi up front, which will allow some heat to build, and once they are 40 to 42 hot they should be ok. If you get to 45 or so, they will probably slide a bit. Any less than 38 will demolish the sidewalls.

I auto-x, so I know nothing about brakes, but your tires and brakes may need a rest around the same time...possibly...just a guess...good luck, and please report.
I've auto-x'd once and have some clear sidewall rollover on the tires at/around stock pressures. I'm running (cold) 36f/38r right now but I'm thinking I'll increase it to 38f and either leave 38r or maybe decrease it by a pound or two so I can get a more neutral feeling.

I've done a number of auto-x's with my previous 330i that was perfectly balanced/neutral so I'm not entirely a noob; but this 235 is clearly a lot more tail-happy, especially with the MP-LSD
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 08:19 PM   #37
peterdf
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Coupe

Garage List
2016 BMW M235i  [10.00]
Quote:
4 Laps of the Nordschleife eat roughly half your tank.
I'm experiencing gas shock just driving it on the highway. I've filled it up from 4 times this week from 1/4 tank! In fairness, I've adding about 800 miles to the car this week due to various circumstances, and I've been showing off many times to my friends on wide, empty roads

I'm going to my first AutoX event this Sunday, getting an oil change/checkup tomorrow to make sure it's nice and ready.
      05-03-2016, 08:29 AM   #38
FelixGTS
Private
Germany
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKPAB View Post
That much? On the standard MPSS tire? I was running mine on something like 28f. But you´re right, my tires ate the sidewalls a bit. But therefore, the front end gripped quite nicely. Won´t the increased pressure rob grip from the front axle?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 08:41 AM   #39
NEUE02
Lieutenant
Rep

I don't autocross but I track a lot with MPSS. You want a HOT reading of no more than 38/40. Beyond that you get too much slipping. You can confirm air pressures by using a pyrometer immediately after coming off the track. Take three readings across the tire. They should be very close in temperature. If the center reading is higher you are overinflated. If the outside temps are higher you are under inflated. If you have excess camber the inside temps will be proportionately higher and that is acceptable.

Keep in mind that driving style, car set up and type of track will all affect the pressures required to get to the optimum tire "hot grip" of 38/40.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 12:16 PM   #40
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: like i stole it...

I run hpde with NASANE and BMWCCA.
A few others like hookedondriving and Patroon.

Been out 4 times this year already.
1997 M3 Sedan Auto Cosmo Black Metallic
2018 x3 m40 Auto Grey Metallic
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 09:43 PM   #41
nike001
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That much? On the standard MPSS tire? I was running mine on something like 28f. But you´re right, my tires ate the sidewalls a bit. But therefore, the front end gripped quite nicely. Won´t the increased pressure rob grip from the front axle?
Quote:
I don't autocross but I track a lot with MPSS. You want a HOT reading of no more than 38/40. Beyond that you get too much slipping. You can confirm air pressures by using a pyrometer immediately after coming off the track. Take three readings across the tire. They should be very close in temperature. If the center reading is higher you are overinflated. If the outside temps are higher you are under inflated. If you have excess camber the inside temps will be proportionately higher and that is acceptable.

Keep in mind that driving style, car set up and type of track will all affect the pressures required to get to the optimum tire "hot grip" of 38/40.
I just ran 40 front & rear hot today (~53-55 degrees on a somewhat damp track) and the tires performed absolutely phenomenal, no slipping or scrubbing and I'm at the wear bars too.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 12:47 AM   #42
FelixGTS
Private
Germany
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nike001 View Post
I just ran 40 front & rear hot today (~53-55 degrees on a somewhat damp track) and the tires performed absolutely phenomenal, no slipping or scrubbing and I'm at the wear bars too.
Okay. I´ll try If it grips just as nicely and helps reducing the outside wear then it´s fine.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 09:59 PM   #43
nike001
Captain
United_States
Rep

Here's a short video of me yesterday at Pocono
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 02:28 AM   #44
FelixGTS
Private
Germany
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [10.00]
How did you place the microphone there? I suppose it was an external mic? Sounds phenomenal And also how do you get that //M symbol on the screen?

But why do you change the position of your hands so often on the steering wheel? I had learned that 9 and 3 positions should be kept as much as possible and that you should only let go of the wheel if you need to (hairpin etc).
Appreciate 0