THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics New M235i and I must be daft ...

04-13-2016, 11:31 AM   #1
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS3

New M235i and I must be daft ...

I just picked up my new M235i yesterday and can't figure something out for the life of me. Normally, I am very tech literate so I'm almost embarrassed to be posting.

I have the Premium package with HK. Phone is Android running 5.1. I mostly listen to Spotify or podcasts from my phone when driving. I can stream via BT no problem with the HK, but would prefer to do it by USB connection for both audio quality and charging reasons.

Here's my problem. When I connect my phone via USB, I get access to my ringtones and the play over and over (those are the only actual media files on the phone other than Spotify or PlayerFM files). I cannot get Spotify over USB. If I try it through ConnectedDrive with the app on my phone, I can get it to play but no track info shows up on the iDrive display.

What am I missing?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 12:11 PM   #2
Monsieur_G
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCanuck
I just picked up my new M235i yesterday and can't figure something out for the life of me. Normally, I am very tech literate so I'm almost embarrassed to be posting.

I have the Premium package with HK. Phone is Android running 5.1. I mostly listen to Spotify or podcasts from my phone when driving. I can stream via BT no problem with the HK, but would prefer to do it by USB connection for both audio quality and charging reasons.

Here's my problem. When I connect my phone via USB, I get access to my ringtones and the play over and over (those are the only actual media files on the phone other than Spotify or PlayerFM files). I cannot get Spotify over USB. If I try it through ConnectedDrive with the app on my phone, I can get it to play but no track info shows up on the iDrive display.

What am I missing?
I'm not 100% sure but I don't think BMW's iDrive supports the app through USB, you can only stream it through Bluetooth.
From the Spotify support page: "Due to Android OS phone manufacturer compatibility issues, the Spotify integration currently only works with the new 2016 BMW 7 Series. We are working hard to enable Spotify for all compatible BMW Connected Drive and Mini Connected vehicles."

https://support.spotify.com/my-en/us...w-integration/
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 12:16 PM   #3
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep

That would explain it. I thought that it would still play via USB but not as an app, just as a music player. I guess maybe it doesn't which is a PITA ...
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 12:38 PM   #4
Monsieur_G
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
That would explain it. I thought that it would still play via USB but not as an app, just as a music player. I guess maybe it doesn't which is a PITA ...
I have both an Android and iPhone, and honestly the iPhone is so much better to use with iDrive. Like most technology nowadays, they're geared towards iPhone users.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 12:44 PM   #5
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsieur_G View Post
I have both an Android and iPhone, and honestly the iPhone is so much better to use with iDrive. Like most technology nowadays, they're geared towards iPhone users.
I'm really not an Apple guy and an iPhone's not really for me. About the only thing I might do if I get overly frustrated is buy an iPod touch and use it for apps/music and use my phone as a hotspot for it.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 12:46 PM   #6
Monsieur_G
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsieur_G View Post
I'm really not an Apple guy and an iPhone's not really for me. About the only thing I might do if I get overly frustrated is buy an iPod touch and use it for apps/music and use my phone as a hotspot for it.
I completely understand. I love my S6 Edge, but unfortunately it's not as great when connected with the car. :
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 05:58 PM   #7
SquireGlig
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i 6MT

USB connection on android will basically treat your phone like a USB drive and play files off of it.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 12:03 PM   #8
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT Mineral White M235i

I'm an Android guy, so BMWs favoring of iOS is why I didn't get the tech package.

6MT Mineral White on black M235i coupe
Build thread
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 12:10 PM   #9
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep

In Canada, ConnectedDrive Services is a standalone $500 option. I might not have gone with it, but the car was already built and optioned with it so I went with it.

The packages are different, we don't have the Tech package, the features are divided between the Premium Package and ConnectedDrive.
Appreciate 0