THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Speaker replacement

02-22-2016, 01:26 PM   #1
Alex_bm
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Giulia QV

Speaker replacement

Hi Guys,

I wanted to get your opinion on whether upgrading speakers would make a notable difference.
I have a base system on m235xi which I believe is HiFi. I can spot 5 speakers, 2 front doors, 1 front center console and two at the back.
How involved is the setup and what kind of money I am looking at roughly?

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2016, 02:27 PM   #2
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_bm View Post
Hi Guys,

I wanted to get your opinion on whether upgrading speakers would make a notable difference.
I have a base system on m235xi which I believe is HiFi. I can spot 5 speakers, 2 front doors, 1 front center console and two at the back.
How involved is the setup and what kind of money I am looking at roughly?

Thanks in advance
Or, hell: browse!

In the time that it likely took you to type your post, you'd have found several threads that talk about this on this subforum. In the past month.

:: sigh ::
Appreciate 1
      02-22-2016, 06:11 PM   #3
Alex_bm
Major
Canada
Rep

My bad for missing some of the previous posts.
Anyone knows professional installer in Toronto area, ideally someone who already worked on 2 series and bavsound?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2016, 06:21 PM   #4
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

I can't speak to replacing the speakers but the subs you can do yourself. they're a breeze to do.
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2016, 09:17 PM   #5
Alex_bm
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWZ4
I can't speak to replacing the speakers but the subs you can do yourself. they're a breeze to do.
Thanks. Speakers are probably more critical as a starting point.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 12:00 PM   #6
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT Mineral White M235i

I'd start with the amp. Crappy amp pushing better speakers is still crappy.

6MT Mineral White on black M235i coupe
Build thread
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 12:36 PM   #7
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentZero View Post
This has been discussed. While some will disagree, the speakers are by far the weakest link. You can run several K in competition-quality amps, but the tiny, small-magnet, low-excursion, full-range OEM speakers won't deliver any of their benefits to your ears except for the elimination of the OEM DSP -- which has nothing to do with the amplifier itself.

Conversely, better speakers with separate drivers will allow you to hear more of the inherent biases of the OEM amp -- the mid-humped DSP, poor S/N ratio, etc. -- but also makes what little tone adjustment 2-series systems have more effective. Here's the thing: it is an improvement that can be delivered to your ears. That one fact is why speakers should be done first.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 12:41 PM   #8
crbalch
The Schwab
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 AW M340xi

Garage List
2017 BMW X1  [0.00]
2016 BMW M235xi  [0.00]
http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=970561

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1221193

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1053579

Thread can be closed now
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 12:59 PM   #9
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentZero View Post
This has been discussed. While some will disagree, the speakers are by far the weakest link. You can run several K in competition-quality amps, but the tiny, small-magnet, low-excursion, full-range OEM speakers won't deliver any of their benefits to your ears except for the elimination of the OEM DSP -- which has nothing to do with the amplifier itself.

Conversely, better speakers with separate drivers will allow you to hear more of the inherent biases of the OEM amp -- the mid-humped DSP, poor S/N ratio, etc. -- but also makes what little tone adjustment 2-series systems have more effective. Here's the thing: it is an improvement that can be delivered to your ears. That one fact is why speakers should be done first.
well, my answer is to replace both amp and speakers at the same time. dude asked for which to tackle first and amp is what I would do.

Build thread
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 01:04 PM   #10
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Just keep in mind an amp upgrade means you will likely need to code ASD out or get the bypass harness. So if you like ASD, take this into consideration. I'm not exactly an audiophile, but I had planned on doing both speakers and amp. After replacing the speakers I was content enough to leave the amp alone.

For now.

Maybe.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 01:23 PM   #11
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I don't plan on upgrading the audio for quite some time. I pretty much only listen to podcasts and I like ASD. On my list of mods audio is pretty far down the list. i have heard of people being happy with just replacing speakers, but I'll have the base system. I haven't seen many people with that option and only replacing speakers. I just assumed that if the base amp is even crappier than the HK amp then I'll need to replace both amp and speakers.

Build thread
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 08:55 PM   #12
Alex_bm
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pz619
Just keep in mind an amp upgrade means you will likely need to code ASD out or get the bypass harness. So if you like ASD, take this into consideration. I'm not exactly an audiophile, but I had planned on doing both speakers and amp. After replacing the speakers I was content enough to leave the amp alone.

For now.

Maybe.
How big is the difference compared to stock? Is it comparable to premium system in 3/4 series?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 10:48 AM   #13
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
How big is the difference compared to stock? Is it comparable to premium system in 3/4 series?
To me, the difference was significant. I have the Focal AC and they are just much clearer and crisper. Compared to the normal hi-fi system it's a pretty significant upgrade. Now this part really is just my own subjective opinion, but the I think it's a better upgrade than the HK system for the 2 or 3 series. For me it was a step in the right direction. It might be worth it for you as well. My thought process was that I would bite it off in chunks. Start with the speakers, progress to amp, then sub, etc. In the end though the speakers made me content enough that I might not ever go with the amp upgrade.

Maybe.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 11:17 AM   #14
Alex_bm
Major
Canada
Rep

Thanks so much for the feedback.
Now I need to find a decent installer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pz619 View Post
To me, the difference was significant. I have the Focal AC and they are just much clearer and crisper. Compared to the normal hi-fi system it's a pretty significant upgrade. Now this part really is just my own subjective opinion, but the I think it's a better upgrade than the HK system for the 2 or 3 series. For me it was a step in the right direction. It might be worth it for you as well. My thought process was that I would bite it off in chunks. Start with the speakers, progress to amp, then sub, etc. In the end though the speakers made me content enough that I might not ever go with the amp upgrade.

Maybe.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 11:18 AM   #15
Alex_bm
Major
Canada
Rep

Almost forgot. Did swapping speakers affect ASD in any way?

Quote:

Maybe.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 11:35 AM   #16
Grave
Private
France
Rep
Drives: 220D M-Sport

Quote:
No
Quote:
Now I need to find a decent installer.
The better is probably you because you want to take care of your 235i.

Only one hour per door with insonoriation, separate midrange and tweeter, probably less time with coaxial speakers.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 11:50 AM   #17
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Good luck and let us know what your results are!

ASD really wasn't effected. Technically it was but in a minor way. The sensitivity for the focal AC I think it a bit less than stock, so it takes more power to hit the same volume of sound. It's imperceptible though, at least to me.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 11:56 AM   #18
Alex_bm
Major
Canada
Rep

I do want to take a good care of my car, hence the search for professional installer.

I can do certain things on my own but somewhat hesitant when it comes to "gentle" work such as plastic clips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grave View Post
No

The better is probably you because you want to take care of your 235i.

Only one hour per door with insonoriation, separate midrange and tweeter, probably less time with coaxial speakers.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 11:57 AM   #19
Alex_bm
Major
Canada
Rep

Thanks. Will report back after the swap.

Quote:
Good luck and let us know what your results are!

ASD really wasn't effected. Technically it was but in a minor way. The sensitivity for the focal AC I think it a bit less than stock, so it takes more power to hit the same volume of sound. It's imperceptible though, at least to me.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 01:07 PM   #20
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Maybe.
Ah, that's good to know. I have the base US audio and assumed that I'd need to replace amp and speakers at the same time.

Build thread
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 02:16 PM   #21
akuan99
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M-Sport Track 6MT

There are two factors that affect ASD volume after an amp swap.
New amp's gain and input sensitivity.
Amp gain is usually fixed and higher powered amp tend to have higher gain.
Input sensitivity is the only parameter that can be adjusted.
Setting this parameter at lowest setting for rear channels (or setting that will allow highest input voltage setting) will reduce the effect of ASD.
Amp with DSP is little bit more trickier as amp gain adjusted and increased rear channel outputs and increased ASD effect.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 02:59 PM   #22
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akuan99 View Post
There are two factors that affect ASD volume after an amp swap.
New amp's gain and input sensitivity.
Amp gain is usually fixed and higher powered amp tend to have higher gain.
Input sensitivity is the only parameter that can be adjusted.
Setting this parameter at lowest setting for rear channels (or setting that will allow highest input voltage setting) will reduce the effect of ASD.
Amp with DSP is little bit more trickier as amp gain adjusted and increased rear channel outputs and increased ASD effect.
So what you're saying is that I must disable ASD and get a new exhaust when I upgrade the audio. I'll be sure to let my wife/accountant know.

Build thread
Appreciate 0