THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Tracking / Autocrossing First Track Day with My 228i

09-01-2020, 06:55 PM   #1
BetweenTheWheels
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228i M Sport

First Track Day with My 228i

Hi all - this isn't a typical track day video and doesn't focus particularly on the car (I had planned to, but for context, a severe on-track wreck last year totalled my last track toy and this outing was full of tension).

For what it's worth and for those considering tracking, here is the latest on my experience as an intermediate driver.

First Track Day with My BMW 228i
overcoil3073.50
oooseun27.50
ggggbmw432.50
      10-05-2020, 04:01 PM   #2
OldCrow7xx
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Xdrive 8A

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetweenTheWheels View Post
Hi all - this isn't a typical track day video and doesn't focus particularly on the car (I had planned to, but for context, a severe on-track wreck last year totalled my last track toy and this outing was full of tension).

For what it's worth and for those considering tracking, here is the latest on my experience as an intermediate driver.

First Track Day with My BMW 228i
How do you make a track day? Like how do you find a track that will just allow you to come drive your car at no speed limits all day? Do you have to pay them or sign a contract with them or have a safety inspection?

I have a m235 I want to take to the track but I am worried gravity will mess up the oil system based on some of these other posts. I would like to try it though. My tires are ventus v12 evo.

2016 F22 M235 8A HK NBTevo | CTS HEX Intake | CTS Chargepipe | Gplus Intercooler | VRSF DP | BM3 Stage 2+ | 18" CSL Replicas | XHP X-Delete
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 05:00 PM   #3
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCrow7xx View Post
How do you make a track day? Like how do you find a track that will just allow you to come drive your car at no speed limits all day? Do you have to pay them or sign a contract with them or have a safety inspection?

I have a m235 I want to take to the track but I am worried gravity will mess up the oil system based on some of these other posts. I would like to try it though. My tires are ventus v12 evo.
Your local BMW Car Club of America (BMW CCA) chapter is the National Capital Chapter. This is the chapter's main page for high-performance driving events at the track:

https://www.nccbmwcca.org/driving-ev...iving-schools/.

In addition to reading the text on that page (and the additional 'Read More' text), I recommend reading through the links on the right-hand side of the page, too.

You'll have questions, and they should be directed to the DSSC Chairman, Gordon Kimpel, at gmkimpel@gmail.com.

Note in the lower right-hand corner of the page that the NCC chapter has an upcoming HPDE at Summit Point Motorsports Park in WV on Oct. 16-18. The track is around an hour from you.

While BMW CCA-sponsored events don't require that you be a member of the club to register for them, it's generally cheaper if you are. Additionally, membership entitles you to receive Roundel, the club's magazine; it's by far the best German marque-specific magazine. Club membership options are halfway down this page: https://www.bmwcca.org/.

Note that BMW chapter-sponsored driving events focus on improving drivers' fundamental driving skills. They're less about blasting around the track with your foot on the floor than they are about learning the techniques that will enable you to lap both quickly and safely. IOW, they'll make you faster, and you'll be safer doing it.

You'll have an instructor with you at all times to help you learn the necessary skills. Once you've mastered the basics and are safe to be sent out by yourself, you'll have that opportunity. Very generally, about half the participants have an instructor with them and the other half are lapping solo.

You'll also spend time in a classroom. What you learn there and what your instructor(s) are telling you will overlap and reinforce each other. In the beginning, it's a fairly full and intense two days (assuming you do a two-day event, which is typical for beginning students).

Let us know what else we can do to help.

Last edited by dradernh; 10-05-2020 at 05:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 06:06 PM   #4
BetweenTheWheels
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCrow7xx View Post

Your local BMW Car Club of America (BMW CCA) chapter is the National Capital Chapter. This is the chapter's main page for high-performance driving events at the track:

https://www.nccbmwcca.org/driving-ev...iving-schools/.

In addition to reading the text on that page (and the additional 'Read More' text), I recommend reading through the links on the right-hand side of the page, too.

You'll have questions, and they should be directed to the DSSC Chairman, Gordon Kimpel, at gmkimpel@gmail.com.

Note in the lower right-hand corner of the page that the NCC chapter has an upcoming HPDE at Summit Point Motorsports Park in WV on Oct. 16-18. The track is around an hour from you.

While BMW CCA-sponsored events don't require that you be a member of the club to register for them, it's generally cheaper if you are. Additionally, membership entitles you to receive Roundel, the club's magazine; it's by far the best German marque-specific magazine. Club membership options are halfway down this page: https://www.bmwcca.org/.

Note that BMW chapter-sponsored driving events focus on improving drivers' fundamental driving skills. They're less about blasting around the track with your foot on the floor than they are about learning the techniques that will enable you to lap both quickly and safely. IOW, they'll make you faster, and you'll be safer doing it.

You'll have an instructor with you at all times to help you learn the necessary skills. Once you've mastered the basics and are safe to be sent out by yourself, you'll have that opportunity. Very generally, about half the participants have an instructor with them and the other half are lapping solo.

You'll also spend time in a classroom. What you learn there and what your instructor(s) are telling you will overlap and reinforce each other. In the beginning, it's a fairly full and intense two days (assuming you do a two-day event, which is typical for beginning students).

Let us know what else we can do to help.
Yes, great info. Also, check out motorsportsreg.com for a list of track events by type which can be sorted by geography. Great for finding HPDE days, auto cross and other types of driving days at various tracks.