THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Gearbox Whine

11-22-2016, 12:07 PM   #1
Verrilli
Rep
Drives: 2016 m235i

Gearbox Whine

I thought I'd pass this one on to the group.

Ever since my 2016 m235i Automatic was new I've noticed a whine coming from the engine or transmission when starting out in 1st and 2nd gears. It was only really noticeable when the radio was off but it was loud enough that passengers would comment on it. I brought it up during my 10K service and the dealer said that they heard the noise but that they did not have time that day to diagnose it. I brought it back to them about 2 weeks ago for diagnosis.

Their first guess was that it was the rear main seal leaking air. This sounded strange to me but then I did a search and it seems that there is a known problem where that can happen. I listened to a video though and it didn't sound like my noise. Sure enough, dealer said that didn't fix the problem.

In the meantime I did some more searching on the web and found that in the UK there are a bunch of people on babybmw.net who were getting their transmissions replaced for noises that sounded a lot like mine.

The dealer spent a few days doing more tests and more consulting. I got a call today saying that they were going to order a new transmission for the car. It has to come from Germany and will take 7-10 business days. So it looks like I'll be without my car for a month.

I'll post to here later with updates.
Colin

Last edited by Verrilli; 11-22-2016 at 02:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2016, 12:35 PM   #2
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Automatic or manual?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2016, 02:15 PM   #3
krhodes1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Wagon

Garage List
2011 128i  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i Touring  [10.00]
Why can't you drive the car in the meantime? Not like you can really make it any more broken than it already is if they are going to replace it.

'11 328! Touring - Tasman on Chestnut, 6spd manual, factory upside-down "i" option
'11 128i Convertible - Space Gray on Savannah Beige, 6spd manual,
also '14 Mercedes-Benz E350 wagon, '95 Land Rover Discovery, '74 Triumph Spitfire
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2016, 02:27 PM   #4
Verrilli
Rep

XutvJet, This is an automatic gearbox.

krhodes1, I guess I could go pick it up, but they gave me BMW loaner so I'm ok. It's 1/2 hour drive there and 1/2 hour paperwork to check out/in a loaner.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2016, 10:00 AM   #5
virtguy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB DCT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
2011 BMW X3 28i  [0.00]
I have an automatic 2016 M235i and a couple of times have noticed a high pitched squeal at low speeds after transitioning from reverse to forward. I've only heard it when in my driveway, moving the car a little forward or backward with the door open. It's definitely not the brakes squealing.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2016, 10:42 AM   #6
Verrilli
Rep

Here are a couple links to other threads on this subject:

http://www.babybmw.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=89767
http://www.babybmw.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=73418

recordings of the noise:
https://vimeo.com/183449790
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ox%20noise.m4a
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnbkF5LpUlE#t=31

Updates on my car -
I found out that they also tried replacing the turbo. Not sure if they left the new one in or not.
Also found out that the box they ordered is a remanufactured unit. Apparently that is the only option available from BMW. Hopefully it's remanufactured to be as good as new by ZF. It is covered by remainder of 4-year warranty at least.

Colin
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2016, 09:33 PM   #7
wjjkoevoets
Bright Sky
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i (8AT)

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Mine whines in 1st, 2nd and reverse. It's really bad in reverse, less so in 1st and 2nd. I'll try making a clip of mine later today to give you an idea of how mine sounds. It has gotten progressively worse over time, especially in sports (I have asd coded out, so no artificial engine noise is being generated in the cabin).

Now that I've read those threads at the babybmw forum, I am thinking of brining my car in and have them look at the transmission. I will contact ZF first to have them confirm as dealers over here are usually very skeptical.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2016, 12:13 PM   #8
simsimma777
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 M850i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verrilli View Post
I thought I'd pass this one on to the group.

Ever since my 2016 m235i Automatic was new I've noticed a whine coming from the engine or transmission when starting out in 1st and 2nd gears. It was only really noticeable when the radio was off but it was loud enough that passengers would comment on it. I brought it up during my 10K service and the dealer said that they heard the noise but that they did not have time that day to diagnose it. I brought it back to them about 2 weeks ago for diagnosis.

Their first guess was that it was the rear main seal leaking air. This sounded strange to me but then I did a search and it seems that there is a known problem where that can happen. I listened to a video though and it didn't sound like my noise. Sure enough, dealer said that didn't fix the problem.

In the meantime I did some more searching on the web and found that in the UK there are a bunch of people on babybmw.net who were getting their transmissions replaced for noises that sounded a lot like mine.

The dealer spent a few days doing more tests and more consulting. I got a call today saying that they were going to order a new transmission for the car. It has to come from Germany and will take 7-10 business days. So it looks like I'll be without my car for a month.

I'll post to here later with updates.
Colin
I had the same exact problem at around 5K miles. Dealer wasn't sure at first, and ended up replacing the transmission which fixed the problem. I'm at 9K now, and I think the noise is starting to happen again.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2016, 02:28 PM   #9
wjjkoevoets
Bright Sky
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i (8AT)

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
I just performes a tba reset and it seems to have "reset" the whine as well. I am not sure what's happening lol
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2016, 04:20 PM   #10
Verrilli
Rep

My car is back with re-manufactured transmission installed. The whine is gone. Let's hope it stays that way...

Only slight inconvenience was that much of the coding I had done was reset - including disabling ASD. At first I was wondering why there were low frequency vibrations when in sport mode - then I realized - ASD is back on!
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2016, 08:42 PM   #11
simsimma777
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 M850i coupe

This post is both a PSA and hoping to get some advice.

So I already had my transmission replaced once under warranty due to transmission whine. The noise returned a few thousand miles later and I took it back to the dealership. While they acknowledge that the whine has returned, this time they declined to cover under warranty because they claim I used Launch Control too many times, and that is the cause of the problem.

I got the car back without work done, and I am trying to figure out what my recourse is. If Launch Control is causing the damage, then that's not my problem as it is a feature of the car, and no where in the manual are any limits stated for using this feature. I used the feature in accordance with the instructions provided with the car.

My main concern is now I am worried that I will be on the hook if anything else happens to my transmission, and I'm trying to figure out if I have any recourse or if this is something I have to live with. Car is at 10k miles and is about 9 months old.

Your advice is greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 1
      12-30-2016, 07:17 AM   #12
Verrilli
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballinisahabit View Post
This post is both a PSA and hoping to get some advice.

So I already had my transmission replaced once under warranty due to transmission whine. The noise returned a few thousand miles later and I took it back to the dealership. While they acknowledge that the whine has returned, this time they declined to cover under warranty because they claim I used Launch Control too many times, and that is the cause of the problem.

I got the car back without work done, and I am trying to figure out what my recourse is. If Launch Control is causing the damage, then that's not my problem as it is a feature of the car, and no where in the manual are any limits stated for using this feature. I used the feature in accordance with the instructions provided with the car.

My main concern is now I am worried that I will be on the hook if anything else happens to my transmission, and I'm trying to figure out if I have any recourse or if this is something I have to live with. Car is at 10k miles and is about 9 months old.

Your advice is greatly appreciated.
I'd try contacting a BMW NA representative to see if they could help.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 05:28 PM   #13
trilax59
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 LCI

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2 LCI  [0.00]
Sorry to dig up an old thread here. I have a 2016 M235i RWD ZF8 auto with 273xx miles on it. I picked up the car CPO in August of 2019. Since I bought the car, I noticed there was a whine sound in 2nd gear that came on at 2600RPM and gradually got louder until about 3100RPM. This whine is evident in every engine driving mode, automatic transmission mode, sport automatic mode, and manual mode. I haven't had time until recently to bring it to the dealership. I dropped it off at the dealership on December 23rd and got a call this morning (January 9th) that the car was ready. They informed me that they had replaced the entire transmission under warranty.

I pick up the car, deal with the paper work, and drive home. On my way home, I drove the car like a baby to not put any stress on the new transmission and to let it break in. However, right before I got home, I decided to replicate the previous issue to see if it was fixed. To my surprise, the whine sound was still there in 2nd gear at the same RPM range. I immediately drove it back to the dealer and went on a drive with one of the techs (shop foreman was out today). We went on a quiet road and went through all the gears. We heard the whine sound in 2nd gear, as expected, and also heard the same sound ever so slightly at 2950-3050RPM in 4th gear. The sound was not evident in any of the other gears.

They are taking my car in and going to run more tests to determine the cause of the sound. I am absolutely dumbfounded what the issue could possibly be, considering the sound is gear specific. I would think a possible turbo or differential issue, but the sound is not present in any other gears or at other RPMs from previously stated. I doubt it's a transmission issue because they just replaced it, unless they lied that they replaced it and never actually did...

The car is under warranty so BMW will take of everything. However, does anybody have any idea what the issue could possibly be?

Appreciate any input or advice in advance!

-Ryan
      01-09-2020, 05:57 PM   #14
Liandri
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Mine has that whine in the lower gears as well, 2016 22k. Never once thought it was an issue though. Are you guys sure its an actual mechanical issue or just your OCD not okay with it? After changing my ATF/filter and it still being there, it struck me as a normal characteristic of the trans. Nothing is perfect, and the positives of this particular trans far outweigh a little noise. There are a number of transmissions from factory that have a whine in certain load/situations. Just my opinion but doesn't seem abnormal or alarming to me from a mechanical standpoint. If it progressively gets worse I would classify it as an issue but if not, playing the warranty roulette might land you in a worse spot having dealership techs rip your new/untouched car apart. What is absolutely a problem is launch control on a torque converter/planetary automatic and that feature should not be included from factory
Appreciate 1
      01-09-2020, 06:04 PM   #15
trilax59
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 LCI

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2 LCI  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praetor353 View Post
Mine has that whine in the lower gears as well, 2016 22k. Never once thought it was an issue though. Are you guys sure its an actual mechanical issue or just your OCD not okay with it? After changing my ATF/filter and it still being there, it struck me as a normal characteristic of the trans. Nothing is perfect, and the positives of this particular trans far outweigh a little noise. There are a number of transmissions from factory that have a whine in certain load/situations. Just my opinion but doesn't seem abnormal or alarming to me from a mechanical standpoint. If it progressively gets worse I would classify it as an issue but if not, playing the warranty roulette might land you in a worse spot having dealership techs rip your new/untouched car apart. What is absolutely a problem is launch control on a torque converter/planetary automatic and that feature should not be included from factory
I previously owned a 2015 M235xi and never had the whine noise at all. I have never abused my transmission by redlining, launching the car, brake boosting, burnouts, etc... My car is daily driven with the occasional weekend drive when weather permits.

The dealership tested my car against other M235i's and those didn't have the whine sound either.