THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Downgrade or upgrade? F30 to F23

03-16-2015, 08:38 AM   #1
steve@codemybimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 320i M Sport

Garage List
Downgrade or upgrade? F30 to F23

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I ordered a 2015 228i xDrive convertible last month that's moderately loaded with M Sport, Sport Automatic Transmission and Premium package enhanced which includes the Backup cam, Front and Rear PDC, Navigation, Satellite Radio and heated steering wheel as well as the BMW Connected Drive Professional package which includes, Internet, ARTTI, BMW Live etc.

I'm also going from Saddle Brown Dakota leather to Black Sensatec so I don't know if my interior is going to look cheaper coming from a Luxury Line F30.

I'm also losing comfort access since the 2 series does not get the foot sensor for the trunk so no more keys in the pocket to open doors and also Hi-Fi.

Has anyone else here gone from an F30 to an F22/23? I'd like to hear your thoughts.
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs

Last edited by steve@codemybimmer; 03-16-2015 at 10:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 04:58 PM   #2
dtcoff
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2014 F22 M235i

You can still get comfort access to lock/unlock doors with key in pocket. F23 just doesn't have the trunk sensor.
      03-16-2015, 05:44 PM   #3
uberspeed
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i

Sounds like you're focusing on the feature check list and/or creature comforts vs the driving dynamics. If that's your litmus test then I'd consider it a lateral move but a downgrade in outright comfort and space. The 2 is an upgrade to the 3 in driving dynamics IMO and why I'm dead set on making the move ASAP from my current F30 to an F22. I'll gladly trade in my comfort access for a 228i MSport
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 07:55 PM   #4
steve@codemybimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by uberspeed View Post
Sounds like you're focusing on the feature check list and/or creature comforts vs the driving dynamics. If that's your litmus test then I'd consider it a lateral move but a downgrade in outright comfort and space. The 2 is an upgrade to the 3 in driving dynamics IMO and why I'm dead set on making the move ASAP from my current F30 to an F22. I'll gladly trade in my comfort access for a 228i MSport
Good point! I did give up a lot of the conveniences my F30 had to get into this F22 as it's purely a driving car. In that sense I definitely didn't make the wrong choice
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 08:00 PM   #5
steve@codemybimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtcoff View Post
You can still get comfort access to lock/unlock doors with key in pocket. F23 just doesn't have the trunk sensor.
That I know but I didn't take the comfort access option since it's only good to open the doors. I believe I can still use the key fob to close/open the convertible top though.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 10:27 PM   #6
Xiaoxi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a Miata

I went from an F30 to F22. An unbelievable upgrade. I will never go back "up" to a 3 series, if the trend of soft and oversized cars keep continuing.

If all you care is interior luxury, I suppose there are a tiny few things that are sacrificed, such as HUD. Personally I don't care for these things. The driving experience and sound can't be matched.

I had to drive a no-line 320xi loaner last week. Couldn't stand it. I'd rather drive a Corolla. At least there wouldn't be the pretense that this is a car worth more than $30k.
Appreciate 1
      03-16-2015, 10:37 PM   #7
Alpine F31
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: MB E350 4MATIC Estate

Garage List
Quote:
Sounds like you're focusing on the feature check list and/or creature comforts vs the driving dynamics. If that's your litmus test then I'd consider it a lateral move but a downgrade in outright comfort and space. The 2 is an upgrade to the 3 in driving dynamics IMO and why I'm dead set on making the move ASAP from my current F30 to an F22.
Very well said.

My M235i is on a boat right now and I should have it in a week or so. My F30 is cleaned out, sitting in the garage. The next time I drive it will be to the dealership to trade it in on my 2! Yes the 3 has more "luxury" and bells and whistles, but the 2 is an upgrade in my opinion based on it's more manageable size and improved driving dynamics.
Appreciate 1
      03-16-2015, 10:41 PM   #8
Inline_Six
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine F31 View Post
I should have it in a week or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine F31 View Post
The next time I drive it will be to the dealership to trade it in on my 2!
      03-16-2015, 11:06 PM   #9
bacampbe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 Z4 M40i PB

I've had a fairly loaded M235i Convertible for a week now. My wife's car is an F30 328i sport-line.

The m235i is _much_ more fun to drive. Not even in the same league. It's replacing a Miata, so the fun-to-drive quotient was very important.

The interiors are very similar, if you ignore back-seat size. The leather sport-seats are identical. I like my brushed aluminum trim better than her gloss-black. The 2015 iDrive kicks the 2012 iDrive's butt. I would have liked to have the HUD and top-down camera that the 328i has. (But it's not like the Miata had any of that.)

The foot-wave trunk opening is nice sometimes, but I found I used the button more often on her car. (The foot detector got _much_ slower after an update; now I can count slowly to 5 while it flashes lights and stuff before actually opening.) The 2er makes up for it by having a nice trunk hinge arrangement.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 11:08 PM   #10
quiksilver1029
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i Mineral White M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aritaurus View Post
I'm also losing comfort access since the 2 series does not get the foot sensor for the trunk so no more keys in the pocket to open doors
No need to take keys out of your pocket to open doors or the trunk with CA equipped on the 2 series. If you have your hands full all time and feel like waving your foot under your trunk is the only way to survive then keep your 3 series. Otherwise go for the 2 and don't look back, you will enjoy each drive so much more. 2>3

2015 F22 Mineral White Metallic M-Sport 228i
2007 E92 Sparkling Graphite Metallic 328i
Appreciate 1
      03-16-2015, 11:35 PM   #11
Inline_Six
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

OP: I completely agree with what others here are saying.

The 2 series is more about driving dynamics and less about practicality, although it makes a great daily driver for single people who travel light.

The 3 series is more mainstream, slightly (not much) more spacious, and offers a few more creature comforts, for a whopping $8k-$10k more than a similarly optioned 2 series. Not worth it in my opinion. They really are becoming oversized, which is unfortunate.

It really just comes down to what your priorities are.
      03-16-2015, 11:50 PM   #12
steve@codemybimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by InlineSixTwinScroll View Post
OP: I completely agree with what others here are saying.

The 2 series is more about driving dynamics and less about practicality, although it makes a great daily driver for single people who travel light.

The 3 series is more mainstream, slightly (not much) more spacious, and offers a few more creature comforts, for a whopping $8k-$10k more than a similarly optioned 2 series. Not worth it in my opinion. They really are becoming oversized, which is unfortunate.

It really just comes down to what your priorities are.
I always felt like the F30 was more of an executive sedan as opposed to a sporty and fun car to drive which was why I switched to the F23. I'm pretty much trading off luxury and comfort for the more sporty options such as sport seats, M sport and sport automatic transmission.

I test drove the F22 before ordering my F23 and it definitely feels much lighter and fun to drive as opposed to the F30. In terms of driving dynamics this is definitely and upgrade as I can see myself enjoy the drive more.

I don't really care about the sensatec seats or losing comfort access but I just realized that I will no longer have Hi-Fi since I thought it would be standard just like on the 3 series. Guess I'll have to live with it. I'm definitely looking forward to delivery in April!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 12:38 AM   #13
uberspeed
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I always felt like the F30 was more of an executive sedan as opposed to a sporty and fun car to drive which was why I switched to the F23. I'm pretty much trading off luxury and comfort for the more sporty options such as sport seats, M sport and sport automatic transmission.

I test drove the F22 before ordering my F23 and it definitely feels much lighter and fun to drive as opposed to the F30. In terms of driving dynamics this is definitely and upgrade as I can see myself enjoy the drive more.

I don't really care about the sensatec seats or losing comfort access but I just realized that I will no longer have Hi-Fi since I thought it would be standard just like on the 3 series. Guess I'll have to live with it. I'm definitely looking forward to delivery in April!
And a convertible to boot! Realistically you knew you were giving up some practicality for the rag top to begin with so that's a step in the right direction regarding your mindset
What stereo does it come with? I currently have the Hi-Fi and added a JL Audio XD600/6v2 amp which was a marked improvement.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 09:00 AM   #14
steve@codemybimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
And a convertible to boot! Realistically you knew you were giving up some practicality for the rag top to begin with so that's a step in the right direction regarding your mindset
What stereo does it come with? I currently have the Hi-Fi and added a JL Audio XD600/6v2 amp which was a marked improvement.
That's a really good way to put it.

Mine's not Hi-Fi for sure since I don't have option 676 on my vehicle order. Also, there's not tweeters on the door so it's just the base 5 speaker system. It seems like on the F22/23, it's either Low-Fi or Harman Kardon. Not sure if I have the option to install an amp either since its a convertible and I already have little to no trunk space
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 02:08 PM   #15
uberspeed
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's a really good way to put it.

Mine's not Hi-Fi for sure since I don't have option 676 on my vehicle order. Also, there's not tweeters on the door so it's just the base 5 speaker system. It seems like on the F22/23, it's either Low-Fi or Harman Kardon. Not sure if I have the option to install an amp either since its a convertible and I already have little to no trunk space
The amp would replace the OEM amp and reside in the same place, my car's installation can be seen here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...2&postcount=82
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 03:26 PM   #16
steve@codemybimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The amp would replace the OEM amp and reside in the same place, my car's installation can be seen here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...2&postcount=82
If I don't have Hi-Fi, do I have an amp? I hear it's just built into the head unit otherwise.
Appreciate 0