THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Drivers side speakers no longer work

10-01-2022, 09:26 PM   #1
recordsmith
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M235xi

Drivers side speakers no longer work

Hello all,

I have a 2016 M235xi with 102k on it. Today the driverside speakers crackled and then went out and have not come back. I want to troubleshoot this. All other speakers in the car work, so it is either the speakers, the wiring to the speakers, or the amp output to the speakers. One thread mentioned that it could be the idrive system, but that seems far-fetched. However, I will restart the idrive system to see if that is the issue.

How does one troubleshoot this when everything is hooked up with harnesses? Can I test the output of the amp with a multimeter? Does anyone know where I can find a block diagram or circuit diagram that shows signal flow?

I thought that maybe the components in the door were fed by a crossover, and perhaps that bit the dust.

So should I start at the amp or the speaker? Any help would be great! Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2022, 10:15 AM   #2
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Is it just the front set of speakers that has issues or both the front and the rear speakers having issues? I would swap both front speakers to see if either or both work in their new location. I'm betting the amp is the problem.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2022, 11:46 AM   #3
againsttherage
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M240i

I had this same issue with my left front recently.

Turns out the wire going through the metal inlet to the speaker got frayed. A splice had things up and running for me.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2022, 10:22 AM   #4
recordsmith
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini View Post
Is it just the front set of speakers that has issues or both the front and the rear speakers having issues? I would swap both front speakers to see if either or both work in their new location. I'm betting the amp is the problem.
It is just the front set of speakers. I'll swap them and see if they work in other locations. While doing that I should be able to see if the wires are frayed. Thanks for all the help! I will report back when I am done trying the suggestions.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2022, 03:58 PM   #5
recordsmith
Registered
Rep

I had a look, and the wiring looked good. I was stumped, so I decided to have a look in the trunk. I found water in the compartment with the amp. I have no idea how the water got there, but I got a new amp and will install it and see if that makes a difference. But first, I must find out how water got in my trunk!
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2022, 12:36 PM   #6
AleksanderSuave
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240iX Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by recordsmith View Post
I had a look, and the wiring looked good. I was stumped, so I decided to have a look in the trunk. I found water in the compartment with the amp. I have no idea how the water got there, but I got a new amp and will install it and see if that makes a difference. But first, I must find out how water got in my trunk!
If for some reason your speakers were fried, I just pulled a box in the basement and found my 2 series speakers. They were removed around 30k miles when I upgraded, so they saw very little use. I have front, back, and center (no door tweeters, my car did not have those).

let me know if you need them, If you cover shipping they are yours.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2022, 03:16 PM   #7
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Check the tail light gasket for a leak.
Appreciate 0