THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N20 (228i) / B46 (230i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Kies WiFi Enet Adapter online mode with andriod

10-02-2022, 10:16 AM   #1
BHR388
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw

Kies WiFi Enet Adapter online mode with andriod

any one know how to get the kies adapter to work with BM3 in online mode with an andriod and how does it work with i phone does it use mobile data while the phone is connected to the OBD2 via wifi
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2022, 09:10 AM   #2
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

it connects using Wifi, it will not use mobile data

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2022, 08:32 PM   #3
BHR388
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
it connects using Wifi, it will not use mobile data
it connects to the car using wifi but BM3 needs a internet source to work in online mode

when i use it with an andriod i cant get it to connect to the cars obd and internet at the same time the vids online are for i phone and BM3s instructions are for there BM3 adapter not the kies, BM currently doest even offer a wifi adapter
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2022, 08:51 AM   #4
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHR388 View Post
it connects to the car using wifi but BM3 needs a internet source to work in online mode

when i use it with an andriod i cant get it to connect to the cars obd and internet at the same time the vids online are for i phone and BM3s instructions are for there BM3 adapter not the kies, BM currently doest even offer a wifi adapter
I never had that issue but then again i use an Iphone.

I suggest you reach out to Kies for a solution

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2022, 05:10 PM   #5
BHR388
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
I never had that issue but then again i use an Iphone.

I suggest you reach out to Kies for a solution
i have with no response but just seen a disclaimer about andriod on there page and numerous questions on there youtube video with no answer
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2022, 03:11 PM   #6
Kernel Kurtz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M240i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHR388 View Post
any one know how to get the kies adapter to work with BM3 in online mode with an andriod and how does it work with i phone does it use mobile data while the phone is connected to the OBD2 via wifi
If you have developer options enabled on your Android device (Google for instructions if you do not), there is an option "Mobile data always enabled" that may do what you are looking for. It is off by default.

That said, I don't think I would actually want two active networks on my device while I am coding, so do this entirely at your own risk.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2022, 04:21 PM   #7
BHR388
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kernel Kurtz View Post
If you have developer options enabled on your Android device (Google for instructions if you do not), there is an option "Mobile data always enabled" that may do what you are looking for. It is off by default.

That said, I don't think I would actually want two active networks on my device while I am coding, so do this entirely at your own risk.
i tried something similar connections> data usage> mobile data only apps> bm3 doing this forces the phone to use mobile data while using any app you choose unfortunately it kicks the ob2 off once i turn off mobile data manually it will reconnect to the car i cant have both at the same time

since i got the bm3 i always had a problem connecting to the ob2 port it would ether take to long or i would always had to fiddle with the phone options for a while to get it to connect this is why i bought the kies adapter bc it connects to the obd instantly w/o fiddling
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2022, 06:07 PM   #8
Kernel Kurtz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M240i xDrive

Even with both a wifi and mobile data connection available, individual apps will still have to choose one or the other, the phone is not designed to aggregate IP networks. I'm quite sure iPhones cannot do this either.

This is why most DIYers use bluetooth or USB for OBD. Your app having a connection to either of those and wifi or cellular data simultaneously is not a problem.

Last edited by Kernel Kurtz; 10-05-2022 at 06:21 PM..
Appreciate 0