THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N20 (228i) / B46 (230i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Which turbo?

07-20-2022, 11:36 AM   #1
Strike_Zero
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Question Which turbo?

My stocker is making all types of racket and other shenanigans. I really don't want to replace it with a stock unit since this one is dying about the 50K mark. However, I'm really not looking for any performance gains. I'm more focused on reliability since this is just a DD.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Last edited by Strike_Zero; 07-20-2022 at 11:37 AM.. Reason: Slight change in thread title . . .
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2022, 09:41 AM   #2
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Check out the Pure Turbo stage 2. If you do not tune your car for more power, it'll make similar power to stock

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
      12-18-2022, 02:10 PM   #3
M2_MEDUSA
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Comp. SpecialEdition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strike_Zero View Post
My stocker is making all types of racket and other shenanigans. I really don't want to replace it with a stock unit since this one is dying about the 50K mark. However, I'm really not looking for any performance gains. I'm more focused on reliability since this is just a DD.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
Id recommend Pure stage 2, and throw a tune on it. simple stage 1 bm3 ots will be fun
      12-20-2022, 11:53 AM   #4
Strike_Zero
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Thanks for all the suggestions. With all the Black Friday sales and coupons, I settled for the MHI N20 Big Turbo, install package, and other goods from BimmerWorld. I plan to have to it installed next year.
Appreciate 1
M2_MEDUSA664.00
      12-20-2022, 05:52 PM   #5
M2_MEDUSA
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Comp. SpecialEdition

Quote:
Thanks for all the suggestions. With all the Black Friday sales and coupons, I settled for the MHI N20 Big Turbo, install package, and other goods from BimmerWorld. I plan to have to it installed next year.
Thats a good turbo,
      01-25-2023, 11:49 AM   #6
ngl
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i

Quote:
I made the same choice. If you haven't installed it, can you take a picture of the inside of the exhaust manifold ? Mine seems to have something that appears forgotten in there before welding ( the orange thing in the attached picture ). It will surely burn instantly, but I don't want it sticking to the turbine or something
Attached Images

Quaife LSD | BC Racing Coilovers | H&R ARB | F8x LCA+TS | Wiechers Strutbar | Mishimoto CAI | Mishimoto Oil Cooler | Mishimoto Oil Catch Can | Mishimoto FMIC | VRSF DP | Masata TIC | Masata CP | DV+ | Custom Kline Exhaust | GTS Style Roll Cage | Sparco Evo QRT | Brey-Krause seat mounts | Schroth Profi 2 ASM 6p | 10" Android HU| xHP Stage3 | BM3 | RaceCapture Data Logger
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2023, 04:11 AM   #7
oremag2014
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 220i

Any feedback on the MHI turbo im looking to swap mine for the same, it seems to be a direct replacemente and can actually act as a bolt on if properly tune I understand from the description stock internals would be fine if you don't pass the limit. Any input from you guys running it?

Purchased the Frankenturbo due to my poor quality fuel tuner said is my best bet for a better result and abouth 20% more power with stock internals! will need to change FMIC from 5" to 6.5"

Last edited by oremag2014; 01-14-2024 at 09:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 06:09 PM   #8
Strike_Zero
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngl View Post
I made the same choice. If you haven't installed it, can you take a picture of the inside of the exhaust manifold ? Mine seems to have something that appears forgotten in there before welding ( the orange thing in the attached picture ). It will surely burn instantly, but I don't want it sticking to the turbine or something
I just got it installed and didn't peek inside. Sorry about that!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 06:18 PM   #9
Strike_Zero
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oremag2014 View Post
Any feedback on the MHI turbo im looking to swap mine for the same, it seems to be a direct replacemente and can actually act as a bolt on if properly tune I understand from the description stock internals would be fine if you don't pass the limit. Any input from you guys running it?

Purchased the Frankenturbo due to my poor quality fuel tuner said is my best bet for a better result and abouth 20% more power with stock internals! will need to change FMIC from 5" to 6.5"
The mechanic that installed the new turbo said it was good choice for stock replacement for my fubar unit. There is still a soft bottom end that has us scratching our head. It's better than better than the old and busted unit, but a bit of lag. It appears to pull all the way to redline where to old unit pooped out around 5500rpm.

I have a MAD intake tube and Dinan Sport tuner to install.
Appreciate 0