THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N20 (228i) / B46 (230i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Downpipe quriosities

08-20-2022, 04:42 PM   #1
Knhattingh
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 230I

b46 Downpipe Curiosities

Recently installed an AA catless downpipe. Two things i noticed, the part of the exhaust that attached to the cat can no longer sit properly on the hanger… its just held in place by the cat and the hanger further back. This, i believe, causes a shaking/rattling sensation in the car at lower revs. Not sure if maybe i installed the cat in a way that can be corrected to adjust to utilize the hanger again.

Two, when im driving modestly and just shifting gears from say 2-3, i can hear the turbo spool up but it sounds like a modded diesel truck… not a fan at all. I only have the cattless downpipe and not sure wether to go a step further and do a muffler delete or just go back to stock.

Any help with the issues would be greatly appreciated. What were your experiences going catless?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2022, 11:19 AM   #2
Dom147
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 228i, 2017 BMW M240i

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
I used to run a muffler bypass alongside a catless downpipe and imo it sounds nice. The turbo spool is to be expected. If for one what you are describing is the two screw holes not aligning into the engine with those long T25? screws then you didn't properly align the downpipe. I did the same with an ARM downpipe. I don't believe it would be enough to cause a rattle at low rpms. Perhaps you have a leak? Did you replace the gaskets and did you also use new clamps?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2022, 09:40 AM   #3
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

im not a fan of the catless sound; it's loud but loses volume in the midrange. I prefer the catted downpipe mid-range tone instead.

Catless + muffler delete is too loud for my taste, and will rasp / drone. If you are keeping the catless downpipe, I recommend you get a real axle back instead of the muffler delete.

From what you mentioned, it sounds like you need to recheck the downpipe installation and ensure it's done correctly.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2022, 04:18 PM   #4
AleksanderSuave
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240iX Coupe

you either got a product that does not fit correctly, or you did not install it correctly, if the mounting tabs did not line up.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2022, 12:54 AM   #5
Knhattingh
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 230I

Quote:
Originally Posted by AleksanderSuave View Post
you either got a product that does not fit correctly, or you did not install it correctly, if the mounting tabs did not line up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom147 View Post
I used to run a muffler bypass alongside a catless downpipe and imo it sounds nice. The turbo spool is to be expected. If for one what you are describing is the two screw holes not aligning into the engine with those long T25? screws then you didn't properly align the downpipe. I did the same with an ARM downpipe. I don't believe it would be enough to cause a rattle at low rpms. Perhaps you have a leak? Did you replace the gaskets and did you also use new clamps?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
im not a fan of the catless sound; it's loud but loses volume in the midrange. I prefer the catted downpipe mid-range tone instead.

Catless + muffler delete is too loud for my taste, and will rasp / drone. If you are keeping the catless downpipe, I recommend you get a real axle back instead of the muffler delete.

From what you mentioned, it sounds like you need to recheck the downpipe installation and ensure it's done correctly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AleksanderSuave View Post

So i went back a week later and loosened both upper and lower clamps, was able to slightly rotate the downpipe in a way that angled it in a little better position for the rest of the exhaust to atleast somewhat use the hangar. Sounds great now and no more annoying cheap rattlings.
Appreciate 0