THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N20 (228i) / B46 (230i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Dinan exhaus - rear interior rattle at low revs

01-11-2022, 09:25 PM   #1
geeda3
Rep
Drives: 2017 230i xdrive

Dinan exhaus - rear interior rattle at low revs

I drive a 2017 230i xdrive, a few months back I had the Dinan free flow exhaust installed and really love it so far.

One issue I am having is that due to the increased sound/vibrations I hear a plastic rattle when accelerating at low rpm’s when goin >30 mph. It appears on be coming from the rear driver side right above the seat. It’s not overly loud, but very annoying.

Anyone else have a similar issue? Would love to hear any suggestions of what to do to find the cause and fix it. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2022, 06:39 AM   #2
S230i
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

Congrats on the exhaust; I'm curious to know how you like it after living with it for a while. My first guess on the rattle would be the speaker grate. Mine rattled after upgrading my speakers and needed a bit of foam tape to stop the rattle.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2022, 11:41 AM   #3
geeda3
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by S230i View Post
Congrats on the exhaust; I'm curious to know how you like it after living with it for a while. My first guess on the rattle would be the speaker grate. Mine rattled after upgrading my speakers and needed a bit of foam tape to stop the rattle.
Thanks, ill have to take a look at that...haven't gone too far in to finding the exact location yet.

As for the exhaust, I really enjoy it. Sounds much better than stock and overall I really enjoy the tone as it isn't on the extreme side. I have the black option which I think goes great with the mineral grey exterior that I have.

I was considering converting to dual but some clips I heard were a bit much for what I was looking for, plus I kind of like keeping the look to show it's the 4 cyl.

I'd recommend it but that's also due to the limited options out there for the us. I had one on order through Dinan for 6+ months but found one through a private seller and got that instead, not sure how long I would have had to keep waiting from Dinan.

I've also chatted with another user here who has it and I believe he gives it the thumbs-up too.

I added some minor burbles on my BM3 stage 1 too and when in sport plus and really getting on it, it sounds great for my tastes.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 06:11 AM   #4
S230i
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeda3 View Post
Thanks, ill have to take a look at that...haven't gone too far in to finding the exact location yet.

As for the exhaust, I really enjoy it. Sounds much better than stock and overall I really enjoy the tone as it isn't on the extreme side. I have the black option which I think goes great with the mineral grey exterior that I have.

I was considering converting to dual but some clips I heard were a bit much for what I was looking for, plus I kind of like keeping the look to show it's the 4 cyl.

I'd recommend it but that's also due to the limited options out there for the us. I had one on order through Dinan for 6+ months but found one through a private seller and got that instead, not sure how long I would have had to keep waiting from Dinan.

I've also chatted with another user here who has it and I believe he gives it the thumbs-up too.

I added some minor burbles on my BM3 stage 1 too and when in sport plus and really getting on it, it sounds great for my tastes.
Nice. I'll have to keep an eye out for one: 6+ months is crazy. Do the tips stick a lot further out than stock?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 11:35 AM   #5
geeda3
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by S230i View Post
Nice. I'll have to keep an eye out for one: 6+ months is crazy. Do the tips stick a lot further out than stock?
A little bit more, but nothing crazy. Here's a couple quick pics I snapped, i like the fitment (not great quality pics in my parking garage)
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      04-05-2022, 05:45 PM   #6
Jacob657
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 230i Sport Line

Garage List
2018 BMW 230i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeda3 View Post
I drive a 2017 230i xdrive, a few months back I had the Dinan free flow exhaust installed and really love it so far.

One issue I am having is that due to the increased sound/vibrations I hear a plastic rattle when accelerating at low rpm’s when goin >30 mph. It appears on be coming from the rear driver side right above the seat. It’s not overly loud, but very annoying.

Anyone else have a similar issue? Would love to hear any suggestions of what to do to find the cause and fix it. Thanks!
I have an '18 230i w/ the Dinan exhaust and I have this issue as well! I've had the exhaust for about a year and so I got used to it tbh, but could it possibly be the child seat anchor covers? I figured it was either that or the roof brake light housing rattling. Let me know if you find a solution.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2022, 07:38 PM   #7
geeda3
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob657 View Post
I have an '18 230i w/ the Dinan exhaust and I have this issue as well! I've had the exhaust for about a year and so I got used to it tbh, but could it possibly be the child seat anchor covers? I figured it was either that or the roof brake light housing rattling. Let me know if you find a solution.
I taped down the child seat anchor covers this weekend and I think that did the trick. Now just need to find something better to secure them from the inside and make them stick and not vibrate. Will keep my ears open until I get that done to make sure that was the cause
Appreciate 1