THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB Trickle charger recommendation for stored car

01-14-2022, 09:43 PM   #1
60_Driver
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i 6mt vert

Trickle charger recommendation for stored car

I did the obligatory search and didn’t find anything. Do you guys have any recommendations for trickle chargers on a stored car? My rwd convertible won’t see the road much over this nh winter. Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 09:54 PM   #2
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

If it is just for storage and not general purpose charging and battery rejuvenation, I use a CTEK US 0.8. Only O.8A, but is fine for maintaining battery charge and light enough to hang from a ceiling plug-in above the car. I leave my Caterham battery on this charger over the winter.

I also have a NOCO Genius 10 10A charger for more series charging and desulphasion duties, which is also safe to leave permanently on the battery, typically I will use this on the BMW if It doesn’t get driven for a week or more in the winter.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 10:23 PM   #3
60_Driver
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
If it is just for storage and not general purpose charging and battery rejuvenation, I use a CTEK US 0.8. Only O.8A, but is fine for maintaining battery charge and light enough to hang from a ceiling plug-in above the car. I leave my Caterham battery on this charger over the winter.

I also have a NOCO Genius 10 10A charger for more series charging and desulphasion duties, which is also safe to leave permanently on the battery, typically I will use this on the BMW if It doesn’t get driven for a week or more in the winter.
Good stuff. Thanks for the info! I tend not to take good care of my batteries. The bmw sits for a lot longer than a week between drives.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2022, 11:53 AM   #4
John in VA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

CTEK also has good products - I have several of the MUS 4.3 units. The German car manufacturers rebadge them with their own logos & offer them at the dealerships. Check pricing on eBay & Amazon.
https://smartercharger.com/collections/vehicle/?i=1
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2022, 05:17 PM   #5
60_Driver
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in VA View Post
CTEK also has good products - I have several of the MUS 4.3 units. The German car manufacturers rebadge them with their own logos & offer them at the dealerships. Check pricing on eBay & Amazon.
https://smartercharger.com/collections/vehicle/?i=1
That’s good to know. BMW would probably be less inclined to put their name on it if the product was a complete turd. Thanks for the info!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 08:57 PM   #6
60_Driver
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Went with the NOCO Genius 10 today and threw it on an hour ago. Seems to be working as advertised.

I was concerned when I got a “battery discharged” warning after letting her run in the driveway for 30 min the night before last as I unloaded a pallet of wood pellets from my truck. My last drive was on 12/17 and it wasn’t a long one. I plugged the NOCO in & it went from one flashing red light to the pulsing green light indicating the battery was being optimized for extended life. Not bad for an original 2016 BMW battery!

I’m curious to see what this thing can do for my neglected Deere mower sitting in my unheated shed. Thanks again for the help, gents!

Last edited by 60_Driver; 01-16-2022 at 08:59 PM.. Reason: Poor grammar.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 12:45 PM   #7
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 230 2020 vert F23

CTEK though it looks the same is not really a re-branded BMW, BMW one is different in specs

"I" would get and I have 2, 1> bmw one which has a lower amperage 2> another one which has a slightly higher amperage

For LONG term storage your not worried about that I just wanted to make sure car was charged mainly over night

personally get the BMW one, it is purpose made for your car
Appreciate 0