THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum What Limited Slip Diff are you using? (or recommend)

06-12-2023, 11:25 AM   #1
kamilbaran
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '18 Yas Marina M3, '17 M240i

What Limited Slip Diff are you using? (or recommend)

Hello I purchased a '17 m240i about a month ago. It is a manual with rwd and I have gotten it to stage 2 already (Stage 2+ Tu pump next) and don't necessarily catch myself having too many issues with the open diff. My main issue is I'm planning to DD this car through winter (with proper tires and wheels of course) I know a LSD will improve the performance and handle, and make the car act more proper in unideal conditions. I would go right away with the M performance LSD but the price is a huge drawback. Is there anyone using a different brand LSD they promote and give some good feedback on. I also don't want to cheap out and get something for cheap that doesn't do the job well. Thank you in advanced love the platform and I know a LSD will make it even more enjoyable as a proper RWD car.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2023, 11:41 AM   #2
230iZTR
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Signal Orange wrapped 230i THP

An LSD won't help that much in winter. It dictates what the wheels do when they're spinning at different rates (i.e. you've already lost traction in one wheel). The best thing to do is swap to proper winter tires for the conditions you expect to encounter so you don't lose traction in the first place. Perhaps also consider adding bags of sand in the trunk to provide better traction.

That said, an LSD is one of the best upgrades for these cars for performance driving. You won't regret putting an LSD on the car, even if its not the winter game-changer youre looking for.

The M-Performance/Drexler unit is one of the more accessible units because its a straight swap - old pumpkin comes out, new one goes in, hook up a few sensors, plug the axles and drivetrain back in, and its done. They even come pre-filled with the right oil by BMW. The other options (take a look at DiffsOnline or similar for more info) all require machining out and replacing various bearings and seals or using a deposit + exchange system that adds to the net cost.

Last edited by 230iZTR; 06-12-2023 at 11:51 AM..
Appreciate 1
      06-12-2023, 12:05 PM   #3
kamilbaran
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 230iZTR View Post
An LSD won't help that much in winter. It dictates what the wheels do when they're spinning at different rates (i.e. you've already lost traction in one wheel). The best thing to do is swap to proper winter tires for the conditions you expect to encounter so you don't lose traction in the first place. Perhaps also consider adding bags of sand in the trunk to provide better traction.

That said, an LSD is one of the best upgrades for these cars for performance driving. You won't regret putting an LSD on the car, even if its not the winter game-changer youre looking for.

The M-Performance/Drexler unit is one of the more accessible units because its a straight swap - old pumpkin comes out, new one goes in, hook up a few sensors, plug the axles and drivetrain back in, and its done. They even come pre-filled with the right oil by BMW. The other options (take a look at DiffsOnline or similar for more info) all require machining out and replacing various bearings and seals or using a deposit + exchange system that adds to the net cost.
100% will be on a proper tire set up, I had to daily my f80 in the snow so I know all about tires and sand bags. I would assume especially when slippery though is if you are turning have an LSD would be better at directing stable rear power on these turns, maybe I am wrong and its the same as Open diff then?

Either way overall though, all the other branded LSDs you can run end up adding up to the M performance one in terms of price? Is there not a kit that would provide all the bearings as the M one does but just not the M brand or will I have to source bearings and seals to swap with the aftermarket LSD?

Thank you for the quick response and feedback too!
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2023, 12:08 PM   #4
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2

Quote:

Piling on in agreement here. My car was a mess at stage 2 with the stock open diff, couldnt get much traction in the lower gears. I went with the M Perf LSD and the car performs soooo much better now. If you cruise the web for the M Perf LSD I imagine you could find one for as cheap as $2100. Then find a shop to install for $600 to $700. There is a used M Perf LSD for sale in the Member Classified section of this forum for a decent price as well.
      06-12-2023, 12:44 PM   #5
albertw
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:
An LSD won't help that much in winter. It dictates what the wheels do when they're spinning at different rates (i.e. you've already lost traction in one wheel).
I have to disagree with this. In icy or slushy conditions you seldom have the same amount of traction on both sides of the car. An LSD lets you use all the traction you have available, whereas with an open diff you're limited to the traction of the wheel with the least.

In my (50 years of) prairie winter driving experience, an LSD on RWD improves a car substantially, to the point that it's just about as good as FRD with an open diff. Winter tires help a bit more, but I've never driven anywhere where they were necessary because good allseason tires were adequate.

If I hadn't moved to a place that gets very little snow or ice, I would have added an LSD to my M240i for winter driving and accepted that it would make the car a bit less fun in the twisties (because it takes more power to induce oversteer with an LSD).
aerobod3625.50
      06-13-2023, 10:01 AM   #6
kamilbaran
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertw View Post
I have to disagree with this. In icy or slushy conditions you seldom have the same amount of traction on both sides of the car. An LSD lets you use all the traction you have available, whereas with an open diff you're limited to the traction of the wheel with the least.

In my (50 years of) prairie winter driving experience, an LSD on RWD improves a car substantially, to the point that it's just about as good as FRD with an open diff. Winter tires help a bit more, but I've never driven anywhere where they were necessary because good allseason tires were adequate.

If I hadn't moved to a place that gets very little snow or ice, I would have added an LSD to my M240i for winter driving and accepted that it would make the car a bit less fun in the twisties (because it takes more power to induce oversteer with an LSD).
I personally don't find the traction iffy till into 3rd gear not the worst, the main reason I do want the LSD is for the winter months so I am in no rush. Maybe I could scoop up a local one for cheaper (M perf). Appreciate everyones feedback!
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2023, 09:09 PM   #7
ggggbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 Manual

Hard to go wrong with the M Perf LSD. Other options are not going to be cheaper, and it works well. I recommend it to anyone looking to improve the performance handling of the car. And if you are tuned I see it as a requirement. I only wish it had an M on it or something so it was obvious you have the LSD.

As for LSD in winter, living in Minnesota, I find it a bit of a mixed bag. Yes, it will absolutely provide better traction than the open diff. But, it also has the issue that if one wheel starts spinning, they both spin. I've had instances where on a highly crowned road the back will break loose on both sides and start slewing sideways down the crown. Not cool if there is another car there in the lane next to you. The traction control on the open diff does a decent job of controlling wheel spin in really dicey conditions, without both sides breaking loose.

I would still say to get the LSD, but don't think it will solve all your winter driving woes.
Appreciate 2
JMcLellan2067.50
      06-14-2023, 09:30 AM   #8
kamilbaran
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggggbmw View Post
Hard to go wrong with the M Perf LSD. Other options are not going to be cheaper, and it works well. I recommend it to anyone looking to improve the performance handling of the car. And if you are tuned I see it as a requirement. I only wish it had an M on it or something so it was obvious you have the LSD.

As for LSD in winter, living in Minnesota, I find it a bit of a mixed bag. Yes, it will absolutely provide better traction than the open diff. But, it also has the issue that if one wheel starts spinning, they both spin. I've had instances where on a highly crowned road the back will break loose on both sides and start slewing sideways down the crown. Not cool if there is another car there in the lane next to you. The traction control on the open diff does a decent job of controlling wheel spin in really dicey conditions, without both sides breaking loose.

I would still say to get the LSD, but don't think it will solve all your winter driving woes.
Thank you for the response. looks like i’m sold on the M perf LSD when it comes down to getting it in around the fall time.
Appreciate 1
JMcLellan2067.50