THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning M235 N20

09-09-2020, 12:45 PM   #1
OldCrow7xx
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Xdrive 8A

Garage List
M235 on Nitrous*

So as of lately its become clear to me nitrous oxide is a great, safe and cheap way to add a ton of power only when you need it and not when you dont.

I also researched and found out it works really will with forced induction, adding more power than by itself alone.

Then I realized I never heard or saw any posts on here about putting the N55 on N20. Is there a reason for that?

How hard is it to tune a nitrous fed car?

How hard is it to tune a nitrous and turbo charged car?

Seems like it could be easier to add a bottle vs. bigger turbo setups etc.

2016 F22 M235 8A HK NBTevo | CTS HEX Intake | CTS Chargepipe | Gplus Intercooler | VRSF DP | BM3 Stage 2+ | 18" CSL Replicas | XHP X-Delete
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2020, 08:16 PM   #2
mikeysosa
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M235i

Garage List
1995 Mazda Miata  [0.00]
2016 BMW M235i  [0.00]
There actually is a reason for there being oboat who feeds their N55s nitrous. The problem is fueling. The engine runs very lean and simply supplying more oxygen is one part of a two part equation. Due to direct fuel injection, it would be just silly and a huge hassle. If the engine starved itself, there's not an easy way to supply more fuel. Not to mention that there are other much more reliable and tested ways to increase HP on an N55. 2ers also have too much self respect to destroy their engines lol
      09-20-2020, 08:18 PM   #3
mikeysosa
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1995 Mazda Miata  [0.00]
2016 BMW M235i  [0.00]
It is doable though, just check this thread:

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1208887
      09-21-2020, 01:03 PM   #4
OldCrow7xx
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Xdrive 8A

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeysosa View Post
There actually is a reason for there being oboat who feeds their N55s nitrous. The problem is fueling. The engine runs very lean and simply supplying more oxygen is one part of a two part equation. Due to direct fuel injection, it would be just silly and a huge hassle. If the engine starved itself, there's not an easy way to supply more fuel. Not to mention that there are other much more reliable and tested ways to increase HP on an N55. 2ers also have too much self respect to destroy their engines lol
Thanks for your answer. I saw that other thread and tried to get some useful information between all the sarcasm..

So in summary the issue is the direct injection? Thats why nitrous doesn't work well on this motor but does on other motors?

2016 F22 M235 8A HK NBTevo | CTS HEX Intake | CTS Chargepipe | Gplus Intercooler | VRSF DP | BM3 Stage 2+ | 18" CSL Replicas | XHP X-Delete
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 09:31 PM   #5
mikeysosa
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1995 Mazda Miata  [0.00]
2016 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCrow7xx View Post
Quote:
Thanks for your answer. I saw that other thread and tried to get some useful information between all the sarcasm..

So in summary the issue is the direct injection? Thats why nitrous doesn't work well on this motor but does on other motors?
Well if you were looking at a wet nitrous kit, it could work, you would just need an upgraded fueling system. The car runs lean already, which means you'll need a new fuel system to run richer. I suggest upgrading to a Fuel-It system, I'm actually considering running the Fuel-It kit as well. Although I should preface by saying that nitrous is only safe when used correctly. You HAVE to start small and get acquainted with the system. Also do tons of research before you pull the trigger on nitrous. I found a non-sarcastic post on N54 Tech:

https://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46021
      09-21-2020, 09:32 PM   #6
mikeysosa
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1995 Mazda Miata  [0.00]
2016 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCrow7xx View Post
Quote:

In other words, it's totally possible and others have done it. Personally, I wouldn't because I find other ways of gaining HP much simpler and safer. But that's just me.