THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Transmission cooling system upgrade?

09-02-2020, 05:10 PM   #1
e90LA15
Rep
Drives: 328i 07

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Transmission cooling system upgrade?

Hey guys, I was wondering if there is an upgrade for the transmission cooler in the N55 M235i?
My car has above 100k miles, and im planning to replace the OEM transmission cooler, because im afraid if i wait for it to fail, it will be very expensive to fix that ZF 8HP transmission.
      09-03-2020, 08:50 AM   #2
Liandri
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

IIRC CSF makes one and it's expensive, but not sure you need it if it's a street car. You should log ATF temp and see if it goes above 170 during your driving (thermostat open temp). If the stock cooler isn't able to stay at 170 for whatever driving you do, then an upgrade would be warranted
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 03:10 PM   #3
e90LA15
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liandri View Post
IIRC CSF makes one and it's expensive, but not sure you need it if it's a street car. You should log ATF temp and see if it goes above 170 during your driving (thermostat open temp). If the stock cooler isn't able to stay at 170 for whatever driving you do, then an upgrade would be warranted
Thanks for the feedback bro. I think the CSF one is an upgrade for the engine oil cooler (correct me if I am wrong).

As you can see attached there are 2 images, one is for the oil cooler and the other is for the trans cooler. As per my understanding, the trans cooler cools down the trans fluid, while the oil cooler cools down the engine oil.

Btw, is it common that the ATF cooler in these cars needs to be replaced? I took my car to the trans shop for trans oil pan, filter, and ZF fluid change, and the guy there told its better to change the trans cooler to avoid its failure at this mileage (around 110k miles) which will lead to water/coolant going into the trans (it will fail) and at that point it will be to expensive to save.
Attached Images

09-04-2020, 04:07 PM   #4
e90LA15
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Any can help with this subject?