THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning C63 AMG Dev Package Vs. M235i FBO BM3 2

08-31-2020, 01:03 PM   #1
OldCrow7xx
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Xdrive 8A

Garage List
C63 AMG Dev Package Vs. M235i FBO BM3 2

So saturday I test drove a C63 AMG Coupe with the AMG dev/performance package and was quite surprised at the results.

Both my wife and I felt that my M235i was every bit as fast, if not faster than the mighty C63. I was pretty shocked that they felt like ~about the same power. The BMW is light years smoother in its generation and delivery though, now I see what the magazines have been praising since I was a kid.

The C63 dev is (conservatively) rated at 481hp and like 450ft/lbs from the factory. I do not believe the car I drove was chipped or modded in anyway but its hard to tell at used car lots hunting for a deal amidst the junk. That would mean the N55 really is making some fairly outrageous numbers to pull as hard or harder than the M156 did!

I will say also the tranny in our cars is MUCH better and faster responding. I drove a 2013 C63AMGDev, so it had the MCT tranny with wet clutch instead of the previous years with the torque converter they called the 7g tronic. I was really surprised that this was the "improved" version of the tranny because it was slow to upshift and downshift even in Sport+ mode. Now that I type this out I wonder if I should have tried it in full manual mode...but anyways you get the drift.

The suspension was MARKEDLY better in the C63. It felt like it was on rails and was going to obey my every command whereas the M235i kinda floats and sloshes around with ease. It doesnt really want to cut hard or move unless you make it.

Basically my summary judgment was that the power levels are the same, the M235 has a much better tranny, the C63 has a much better suspension/handling, and that the C63 had more comfortable seats. But all in all I was surprised at the way a properly tuned M235i can really compete with the big boys!

2016 F22 M235 8A HK NBTevo | CTS HEX Intake | CTS Chargepipe | Gplus Intercooler | VRSF DP | BM3 Stage 2+ | 18" CSL Replicas | XHP X-Delete
Appreciate 2
      09-03-2020, 10:05 AM   #2
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

I’ve always liked the C63, but never considered it a 2er competitor, shouldn’t it be compared to the M3?
I am a fan of the 6.2 (called 6.3) V8 - are they reliable? It looks (from the dynos) like a solid 420whp - which is impressive.

They get big gains with just a tune. They are definitely quick.
Appreciate 1
      09-03-2020, 02:57 PM   #3
Dynamic_m235
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 m235i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCrow7xx View Post
So saturday I test drove a C63 AMG Coupe with the AMG dev/performance package and was quite surprised at the results.

Both my wife and I felt that my M235i was every bit as fast, if not faster than the mighty C63. I was pretty shocked that they felt like ~about the same power. The BMW is light years smoother in its generation and delivery though, now I see what the magazines have been praising since I was a kid.

The C63 dev is (conservatively) rated at 481hp and like 450ft/lbs from the factory. I do not believe the car I drove was chipped or modded in anyway but its hard to tell at used car lots hunting for a deal amidst the junk. That would mean the N55 really is making some fairly outrageous numbers to pull as hard or harder than the M156 did!

I will say also the tranny in our cars is MUCH better and faster responding. I drove a 2013 C63AMGDev, so it had the MCT tranny with wet clutch instead of the previous years with the torque converter they called the 7g tronic. I was really surprised that this was the "improved" version of the tranny because it was slow to upshift and downshift even in Sport+ mode. Now that I type this out I wonder if I should have tried it in full manual mode...but anyways you get the drift.

The suspension was MARKEDLY better in the C63. It felt like it was on rails and was going to obey my every command whereas the M235i kinda floats and sloshes around with ease. It doesnt really want to cut hard or move unless you make it.

Basically my summary judgment was that the power levels are the same, the M235 has a much better tranny, the C63 has a much better suspension/handling, and that the C63 had more comfortable seats. But all in all I was surprised at the way a properly tuned M235i can really compete with the big boys!
Yea can't really compare the suspension of an AMG and an M-performance line. The m2 I bet blows the amg out of the water in comparison of suspension/handling
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 10:17 AM   #4
OldCrow7xx
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
I’ve always liked the C63, but never considered it a 2er competitor, shouldn’t it be compared to the M3?
I am a fan of the 6.2 (called 6.3) V8 - are they reliable? It looks (from the dynos) like a solid 420whp - which is impressive.

They get big gains with just a tune. They are definitely quick.
Yeah the motor was (largely) de tuned for marketing purposes. The 451hp and 481hp listed numbers are probably low side.

Although our cars list at 320 and test at 350-360 as well.

It was actually a very fun comparison. The tranny was a big difference in the driving experience.

2016 F22 M235 8A HK NBTevo | CTS HEX Intake | CTS Chargepipe | Gplus Intercooler | VRSF DP | BM3 Stage 2+ | 18" CSL Replicas | XHP X-Delete
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 10:19 AM   #5
OldCrow7xx
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamic_m235 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCrow7xx View Post

Yea can't really compare the suspension of an AMG and an M-performance line. The m2 I bet blows the amg out of the water in comparison of suspension/handling
It would be interesting to see. If The M2 is that much better handling I may have to scratch together the capital for an upgrade lol I got the m235 because I am "young" (ie poor) and cant really* afford any of these cars.

Appreciate 0