THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum F22 and G42 Differences

08-27-2022, 09:53 PM   #1
jb_s65m
g20_jack
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340I Xdrive

Garage List
F22 and g42 differences

Hey guys! I originally posted this in the autocross section but I thought that might be too narrow a topic for this post, so here we are. I also want to say right off the bat, I don't want this to turn into a measuring contest between the older and newer platforms. Nor, do I intend for this to turn into a pissing match between the rwd and awd camps. As a new owner of a used f22 m240i xdrive, and heavy reader on all that pertains to my car, this is what I've gathered:

1. I bought the platform that came before BMW began to use xdrive in a performance sense (in M cars, with an LSD, rwd/awd selector switch)
2. BMW purists were wrong about rwd being the only driveline option for an M car-as demonstrated by the new m3/4 comp
3. The G42 utilizes xdrive and a clutch type M performance LSD that was only optional for the f22 240i and not at all for the xdrive as far as I know.
4. The LSD was essentially a necessity to give the f22 m240I the grip to handle the b58 torque and prevent one wheel burnouts and slow corner exits.
5. In the realm of performance, in a stock f22, the cons of xdrive outweigh the pros.
6. The ride height and adaptive dampers are the same on both driveline options for the previous and current gen 2 series.
7. The suspension options and tuning options are greater with the f22 in rwd (m4 front LCA's for example) than the xdrive
8. The f22 is much lighter than the g42, but doesn't come with an LSD standard, is down around 50hp (correct me if I'm wrong)

With all of this in mind, I'm making plans for my car and have a few questions:

1. What all would be needed to get an F22 xdrive to the same level of performance as the G42 xdrive? (Suspension, brakes, engine, handling)
2. What LSD options do I have? (So far I'm aware of aftermarket options like wavetrac)
3. What damper/coil options make the most sense for a daily that will get used for auto cross maybe a couple times a month? I intend to start tracking my car here next spring.
4. Have any of you guys played around with Xdelete yet? Does it offer any real world benefits for time attack/autocross?

Whew, that was a lot. That's all I can think of for now, but I'm sure I'll think of more later. Feel free to correct me on any of these details guys, and of course thanks in advance for any knowledge or insight on this topic. Ready, set, GO!
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2022, 07:53 PM   #2
Nickies
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M240I

I don't think you can install a LSD on an Xdrive and I don't think either you can delete the Xdrive function. For your project, I believe you bought the wrong car.

The G42 is a complete different car and no matter the mods you would invest in the F22, it would never match. Just enjoy the way it is.
2019 M240i, Melbourne Red, Black Interior. 3M Tint, Premium Package, Harman Kardon, Adaptive LED Head Lights, M Performance Exhaust and Diffuser, Chrome Exhaust Tips, 719M Bi Color Wheels, Black Kidney Grille, Burger Tuning JB+.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2022, 08:38 PM   #3
jb_s65m
g20_jack
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickies View Post
I don't think you can install a LSD on an Xdrive and I don't think either you can delete the Xdrive function. For your project, I believe you bought the wrong car.

The G42 is a complete different car and no matter the mods you would invest in the F22, it would never match. Just enjoy the way it is.
Several people have installed aftermarket LSDs on xdrives. You can delete the awd function of xdrive with Xdelete. Can you explain why I bought the wrong car? what makes the G42 superior besides the differential? That and the size/weight seem to be the only real differences I can see.
Appreciate 1
      08-29-2022, 06:21 AM   #4
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F22 B58 6MT

Wheel well space is something that's difficult to make up for. At first glance people are able to fit 285s in the rear already.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2022, 08:50 AM   #5
jb_s65m
g20_jack
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by freakystyly View Post
Wheel well space is something that's difficult to make up for. At first glance people are able to fit 285s in the rear already.
Yeah that's definitely a weakness of the f22 platform. As far as I know, the only way around it is a wide body kit costing $$$$.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2022, 09:21 AM   #6
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2

I think both both the F22 and new G series M240i's are awesome and I would drive either one. Question I have is: when does a car manufacturer come out with a new generation of a sports car and not have it perform better than the previous one? Things like suspension, handling, acceleration, etc. are improved.

I've fitted my RWD 19' M240i with the M LSD, and wider PS 4's and would feel confident keeping up with a G series in and out of corners, and with my engine and trans tuning I would walk away in a straight line-- except for the 60 foot time; my car doesn't launch too well and I don't practice doing it as I don't really care about 0 to 60 and 1/4 drag times.

Now, you throw wider PS4's on the G series, and when it's easier to be able to flash tune those cars my car wouldn't stand a chance in any performance category.

But I'm into my car a total of $45K if you add together the sales price of the car plus the mods I've done. I think the G series you are paying near $60K before taxes.
      08-29-2022, 09:29 AM   #7
jb_s65m
g20_jack
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLellan View Post
I think both both the F22 and new G series M240i's are awesome and I would drive either one. Question I have is: when does a car manufacturer come out with a new generation of a sports car and not have it perform better than the previous one? Things like suspension, handling, acceleration, etc. are improved.

I've fitted my RWD 19' M240i with the M LSD, and wider PS 4's and would feel confident keeping up with a G series in and out of corners, and with my engine and trans tuning I would walk away in a straight line-- except for the 60 foot time; my car doesn't launch too well and I don't practice doing it as I don't really care about 0 to 60 and 1/4 drag times.

Now, you throw wider PS4's on the G series, and when it's easier to be able to flash tune those cars my car wouldn't stand a chance in any performance category.

But I'm into my car a total of $45K if you add together the sales price of the car plus the mods I've done. I think the G series you are paying near $60K before taxes.
All really good points, and overall I agree. And the answer to the rhetorical question about sports cars, the answer is: never. They almost never let the old one beat the new one. I think our advantages are in weight and price point now. We are several pounds lighter and much, much cheaper. I'm jealous of your M performance diff though. I wish bmw hadn't been so lame and offered it for both models of the m240i. Oh well, I guess that's what the aftermarket is for. My problem with the g42 m240i right now is that it's price is higher than the last gen of M cars.
Appreciate 1
JMcLellan2528.00
      08-29-2022, 09:42 AM   #8
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravo_fife-ate View Post
All really good points, and overall I agree. And the answer to the rhetorical question about sports cars, the answer is: never. They almost never let the old one beat the new one. I think our advantages are in weight and price point now. We are several pounds lighter and much, much cheaper. I'm jealous of your M performance diff though. I wish bmw hadn't been so lame and offered it for both models of the m240i. Oh well, I guess that's what the aftermarket is for. My problem with the g42 m240i right now is that it's price is higher than the last gen of M cars.
Are you experiencing drivability or traction issues with your Xdrive, or is it more of personal preference to have limited slip diffs? Having AWD with the high torque B58 is a huge advantage. The fact that they allowed the RWD versions to leave the factory without an LSD as standard is crazy to me. Maybe they didn't want the M240i to be faster than the M2??
      08-29-2022, 09:51 AM   #9
jb_s65m
g20_jack
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Are you experiencing drivability or traction issues with your Xdrive, or is it more of personal preference to have limited slip diffs? Having AWD with the high torque B58 is a huge advantage. The fact that they allowed the RWD versions to leave the factory without an LSD as standard is crazy to me. Maybe they didn't want the M240i to be faster than the M2??
I'm not experiencing any severe traction issues but in some sharp hairpin turns that I've tried (within the legal limit of course ) I will say that the awd does an amazing job even with the all season tires that it came with of keeping the car glued to the road. That being said, in those tight turns the car doesn't seem as eager to rotate under throttle as you'd expect. That surprised me given the lack of traction from the "no season" tires and supposedly rwd based system. I know, I need real performance tires but that's just what I've noticed so far. I think BMW thought there was some use to having an LSD with xdrive hence the g42 setup.
Appreciate 1
JMcLellan2528.00
      08-29-2022, 09:56 AM   #10
jb_s65m
g20_jack
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
And yeah… I think you're on to something with that last sentence. BMW is known for sandbagging non full-M cars and they knew that the b58 and zf8 together with a lsd and awd would be enough to give the og m2 a run for its money and possible get close to the m2 comp in straight line speed and maybe low speed corners.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2022, 10:35 AM   #11
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm not experiencing any severe traction issues but in some sharp hairpin turns that I've tried (within the legal limit of course ) I will say that the awd does an amazing job even with the all season tires that it came with of keeping the car glued to the road. That being said, in those tight turns the car doesn't seem as eager to rotate under throttle as you'd expect. That surprised me given the lack of traction from the "no season" tires and supposedly rwd based system. I know, I need real performance tires but that's just what I've noticed so far. I think BMW thought there was some use to having an LSD with xdrive hence the g42 setup.
One of the times I was in for service at the BMW dealer I got a M440i xdrive for a loaner car. I was blown away with how it jumped off the line. After launch and cornering wasn't that impressive but being it is a much heavier car no surprise.
jb_s65m23.00
      08-08-2024, 03:52 AM   #12
Moodi
Registered
Rep
Drives: F22 M240 Xdrive

I just came across this thread and thought id share my thoughts.

I have an xdrive F22 M240 and i installed a wavetrac LSD & KW 2-way CS suspension and it has completely transformed the car.

The car generates tons of grip and i havent even upgraded my wheels yet. Planning on going up-to square 255’s but im broke rn haha. Also have an H&R rear sway bar that i need to get installed.

It truly does drive like a
well balanced small sports car.

This video is what inspired me to get the xdrive F22. I know its a 1 series but they are fundamentally the same car and the xdrive seems to inspire so much confidence and with the mods i currently have i can see that already.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2024, 06:53 PM   #13
FastisFunM2
Irishwhiskey
Rep
Drives: BMW M240ix Convertible

That video the driver is a professional and instructs at that track year round, so he can push any car very well and effortlessly and very smooth.

That said, I just bought a 2018 M240xi Vert for the wife, and it has new PS4 A/S and to my amazement, its grip is excellent, and cornering is very very good. Even with S+ mode, pretty tough to shake it loose, but the back will rotate around but you almost have to force it with the AWD. My personal car is a 16 Cayman S and Conti Extreme 2's and is a bit more playful for a mid engine grip, mainly du to tire width, where my 911 997S had way more grip and was easier to trail brake, though it needed more speed, so best done at the track IMO, where as the M240ix on mountain twisties here in North Carolina/Virginia really a good time, especially the mid range torque is very punchy even with AWD. I will track it at VIR this fall, and have my 981 S there too, my main concern is actually M sport brakes, I may need to add track pads on the BMW...as I have them on the Cayman S...makes a big difference in high speed braking after a few laps....power is fine IMO. The 981 brakes great with track pads, so need to get more agressive pads on the M240 for sure...
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2024, 10:08 PM   #14
Nickies
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M240I

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastisFunM2 View Post
That video the driver is a professional and instructs at that track year round, so he can push any car very well and effortlessly and very smooth.

That said, I just bought a 2018 M240xi Vert for the wife, and it has new PS4 A/S and to my amazement, its grip is excellent, and cornering is very very good. Even with S+ mode, pretty tough to shake it loose, but the back will rotate around but you almost have to force it with the AWD. My personal car is a 16 Cayman S and Conti Extreme 2's and is a bit more playful for a mid engine grip, mainly du to tire width, where my 911 997S had way more grip and was easier to trail brake, though it needed more speed, so best done at the track IMO, where as the M240ix on mountain twisties here in North Carolina/Virginia really a good time, especially the mid range torque is very punchy even with AWD. I will track it at VIR this fall, and have my 981 S there too, my main concern is actually M sport brakes, I may need to add track pads on the BMW...as I have them on the Cayman S...makes a big difference in high speed braking after a few laps....power is fine IMO. The 981 brakes great with track pads, so need to get more agressive pads on the M240 for sure...
The M240i is a GT cruiser and will never compare to a Cayman no matter what is the investment you go on aftermarket parts.

There are a few treads lately showing owners throwing the towel on modified f22s and parting out to reconvert to stock and recover their investment after so much abuse.

If I would want a track car, I would not buy and mod a BMW.
2019 M240i, Melbourne Red, Black Interior. 3M Tint, Premium Package, Harman Kardon, Adaptive LED Head Lights, M Performance Exhaust and Diffuser, Chrome Exhaust Tips, 719M Bi Color Wheels, Black Kidney Grille, Burger Tuning JB+.
Appreciate 0