THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Custom Tune Options BM3 Platform

06-18-2020, 11:10 AM   #1
OldCrow7xx
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Xdrive 8A

Garage List
Custom Tune Options BM3 Platform

Hey Guys,

So I have the stock stage 2 map on my car. Through the BM3 marketplace can I contract a tuner to them write a custom tune file for my car based on remote data logs? Like it can all be done without a dyno and being in person? and if so is it better to do it on a real dyno in person?

I think with a few more pounds of boost my car could break 500 crank torque which I think would be a really cool accomplishment for a novice like myself. My understanding is that is safe with a custom tune to control all the other attack variables in the engines brain. I think my tune now is 19-20 pounds based on the gauges in the app, not sure if that is turbo limited or tune limited...

2016 F22 M235 8A HK NBTevo | CTS HEX Intake | CTS Chargepipe | Gplus Intercooler | VRSF DP | BM3 Stage 2+ | 18" CSL Replicas | XHP X-Delete
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 01:27 PM   #2
Efftooto
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: '16 M235i

No Dyno required; just logs. Cary Jordan comes highly recommended.

Chris
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 01:30 PM   #3
OldCrow7xx
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efftooto View Post

Chris
How many times do you have to go out logging at night?

Do you need to hit serious pulls like 0-60 and 1/8 or 1/4 mile to get the right data for the tuner guy to analyze?

Thanks!

2016 F22 M235 8A HK NBTevo | CTS HEX Intake | CTS Chargepipe | Gplus Intercooler | VRSF DP | BM3 Stage 2+ | 18" CSL Replicas | XHP X-Delete
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 06:35 PM   #4
BostonM235xi
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCrow7xx View Post
Quote:

Chris

Do you need to hit serious pulls like 0-60 and 1/8 or 1/4 mile to get the right data for the tuner guy to analyze?

Thanks!
You need to do 3 pulls from 3rd to 4th gear and a general drive. You will probably do 4-8 revisions. BM3 stage 2 is about 85% "maxed out" so very good if your stock turbo and fuel.
      06-18-2020, 08:02 PM   #5
OldCrow7xx
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonM235xi View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Chris

Thanks!
You need to do 3 pulls from 3rd to 4th gear and a general drive. You will probably do 4-8 revisions. BM3 stage 2 is about 85% "maxed out" so very good if your stock turbo and fuel.
You saying if I stay stock turbo and fuel lines custom tune wont do me any good?

Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 08:45 PM   #6
BostonM235xi
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235xi

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Chris

Thanks!
You saying if I stay stock turbo and fuel lines custom tune wont do me any good?
Not at all, Custom tune on stock turbo and fuel is worth it. I did a write up last month about it. For N55 - BM3 stage 2 boost target is 16.8, a N55 engine "stock" safely can perform highly at 18ish target boost. Just an example ☝🏻How much better the car drives is the biggest difference.
      06-19-2020, 03:56 PM   #7
OldCrow7xx
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Chris

Thanks!
Not at all, Custom tune on stock turbo and fuel is worth it. I did a write up last month about it. For N55 - BM3 stage 2 boost target is 16.8, a N55 engine "stock" safely can perform highly at 18ish target boost. Just an example ☝🏻How much better the car drives is the biggest difference.
So your saying that additional 15% is actually a big deal and nice to have? I wasn't sure if you meant like 85% is basically maxed out and its not worth a custom tune job u less you go e85 or bigger turbo..

How much are the custom tunes?

Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 10:21 AM   #8
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

We offer Cary Jordan, One of the best in the world in my opinion

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 11:59 PM   #9
SerenVoX
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M235i Xdrive

Nothing but praise for Cary Jordan. I have multiple tunes with him. He is hands down the most recommended tuner on the BM3 platform, and for damn good reason. Yes, his tuning is amazing and you will have a seriously fast car on his custom tune. He is very very good at what he does. But I do believe what really makes him come highly recommended is his customer service. He is polite, responds in a timely manner, and answers your questions genuinely. These 3 things are hugely important when trusting someone to tune your car. From my experience, other tuners I have worked with did not even try on the customer support once payment was made. Sure they tuned the car but it wasn't a good experience and the support afterword's was not there. Not saying they are all like this, but that was my experience with few other reputable tuners.

Other highly recommended tuners are Paul Johnson and ProtuningFreaks/Halim.

Other things to consider but not deal breakers are, Time zones of where you and tuner are located. This can make things easier if you are trying to work around your work schedule and tuners schedule and if he need to remote into the vehicle. Some tuners may be more flexible but having similar time zones is a plus. Also just verify with tuner your fueling and if they recommend any upgrades before beginning. This is because some upgrades after a tune is complete may require retuning and each tuner has different approaches to this so just verify if there are parts you may want to have before beginning and not later on.

Hope this helps, as these were things I learned from experience and lots of time and money later

Like Mike said, Cary is def ranked best in the world or at least in the BMW community in my opinion.
Appreciate 2
dradernh4392.50
      06-23-2020, 09:19 AM   #10
OldCrow7xx
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenVoX View Post
Nothing but praise for Cary Jordan. I have multiple tunes with him. He is hands down the most recommended tuner on the BM3 platform, and for damn good reason. Yes, his tuning is amazing and you will have a seriously fast car on his custom tune. He is very very good at what he does. But I do believe what really makes him come highly recommended is his customer service. He is polite, responds in a timely manner, and answers your questions genuinely. These 3 things are hugely important when trusting someone to tune your car. From my experience, other tuners I have worked with did not even try on the customer support once payment was made. Sure they tuned the car but it wasn't a good experience and the support afterword's was not there. Not saying they are all like this, but that was my experience with few other reputable tuners.

Other highly recommended tuners are Paul Johnson and ProtuningFreaks/Halim.

Other things to consider but not deal breakers are, Time zones of where you and tuner are located. This can make things easier if you are trying to work around your work schedule and tuners schedule and if he need to remote into the vehicle. Some tuners may be more flexible but having similar time zones is a plus. Also just verify with tuner your fueling and if they recommend any upgrades before beginning. This is because some upgrades after a tune is complete may require retuning and each tuner has different approaches to this so just verify if there are parts you may want to have before beginning and not later on.

Hope this helps, as these were things I learned from experience and lots of time and money later

Like Mike said, Cary is def ranked best in the world or at least in the BMW community in my opinion.
I just wish there was somebody who would teach me how to tune tune the car as they do it, regardless of the price.

I don't like paying for fish, I like to learn how to fish and provide for myself in the future.

This is a life skill I want to acquire but can't seem to pay anyone for the knowledge...

Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 09:16 AM   #11
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
I just wish there was somebody who would teach me how to tune tune the car as they do it, regardless of the price.

I don't like paying for fish, I like to learn how to fish and provide for myself in the future.

This is a life skill I want to acquire but can't seem to pay anyone for the knowledge...
There are a lot of tuning schools where you can learn these things.

Based on my personal experience, Cary added notes to every map revision explaining what he did different.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
      06-24-2020, 10:38 AM   #12
designatedposter
Captain
Rep
Drives: m235i

Quote:

protuningfreaks (BM3) has been working alot on their map editor and also promised a tuning guide. no date though..

COBB has a nice guide for tuning N55, to get you started on understanding DME logic.
      06-24-2020, 04:27 PM   #13
OldCrow7xx
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Quote:

There are a lot of tuning schools where you can learn these things.

Based on my personal experience, Cary added notes to every map revision explaining what he did different.
Where can I find one of these schools?

Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 04:28 PM   #14
OldCrow7xx
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by designatedposter View Post
Quote:

protuningfreaks (BM3) has been working alot on their map editor and also promised a tuning guide. no date though..

COBB has a nice guide for tuning N55, to get you started on understanding DME logic.
Where can I find the Cobb document? Thanks

Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 09:19 PM   #15
designatedposter
Captain
Rep
Drives: m235i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

https://cobbtuning.atlassian.net/wik...5+Tuning+Guide
      06-25-2020, 07:29 AM   #16
OldCrow7xx
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

https://cobbtuning.atlassian.net/wik...5+Tuning+Guide
This is really really useful, appreciate it!

Appreciate 0