THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Wife wants a new car - opinions?

06-16-2020, 12:35 PM   #23
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_Rudi View Post
Are we sure this is "for the wife?"

I know little to nothing about them, but I have a feeling this will change in the next couple of years; but I've been looking at used Aston Martins. Something to consider. Reasonably affordable depending on the series, year and mileage.

I've noticed that too, with the sale prices of Vantage coupes and roadsters on Bring-a-trailer. I'm guessing the reasonable pricing reflects higher maintenance costs.
      06-16-2020, 12:43 PM   #24
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU View Post
I've noticed that too, with the sale prices of Vantage coupes and roadsters on Bring-a-trailer. I'm guessing the reasonable pricing reflects higher maintenance costs.
My thoughts exactly!
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 12:50 PM   #25
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
F-Type?

I mean, if you're not worried about maintenance and reliability.
Actually thought about this - she really likes tha Jag looks and it certainly stands out in a crowd. This may be one of the top contenders. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSmartyPants View Post
WRX/STi
BRZ
Lexus IS F Sport
C6 Vette
WRX - Too boring/boy racer looking
BRZ - Cheap econobox, slow, boring
No Lexus - she hates them all, mainly the types of folks who drive them
C7 Vette might work but too much $$$, C6 vette has a very cheap interior that she hates. Says it looks like a 20 year old Pontiac Sunfire inside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
Fine... I'll throw it out there. Tesla Model 3 .

Depending on how far she drives might meet your needs. It's unique looking in its own weird way, in your price point for a used one, should be reliable, almost no maintenance, should be fun 0-60 and a back seat.
I'll bring it up. I used to sit on the board for Tesla and we've driven Model S's frequently during meetings out in California.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
Probably a little out of the budget, but what are used RS7's going for in the States?

Otherwise, maybe a used RS3 for something smaller?

I'd probably go with the Macan GTS over the Cayman myself, but not sure if those prices have come down to that territory, I'm not a huge fan of their SUV's to be honest. Fricking love their cars though!
RS7 is far too big. She drives a 435 cabrio now and thinks it's huge. RS3 might be worth a look, unsure of $$$? Showed her an S3 and she thought it was nice but boring looking. Love the Caymans, can't afford a newer one, so worried a bit about age on the 987.2's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000cs View Post
Does it need to be used in winter? If so, some of the lower sports cars may not clear road slush and ice (center of the lane).

A pickup truck obviously won’t meet your first criteria in your area. Unless it is hot pink.
She would kill you for that last comment, lol. But as far as winter weather - doesn't need to do well in anything more than an inch or two. If weather was bad, would just work from home, but needs to be able to get home if caught out in a light snow.
      06-16-2020, 12:51 PM   #26
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
So many choices at that price:
Audi S3
Golf R
Cayman 981/718
Macan 2.0t maybe an S
Mustangs, Challenger/Charger/Camaro
Corvette C7
on and on
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 12:53 PM   #27
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Silent View Post
Actually thought about this - she really likes tha Jag looks and it certainly stands out in a crowd. This may be one of the top contenders. Thanks.
That car has so much presence in real life, I'm sure you know, just pure gravity.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 01:06 PM   #28
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

Q60. There's a LeMans Blue(don't know what they call it, but it looks very similar to my LMB E92) near me that looks really good. Owner did some light mods to it, blacked out the shiny trim, tinted the taillights, lowered it...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Um6...w?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ut_...w?usp=drivesdk
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 01:30 PM   #29
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conissah View Post
RS3 can be had around $35k, good choice. I vote ND Miata though, they usually dyno around 150 wheel and weigh a mere 2300 pounds. Definitely not the fastest thing out there, but the manual is unrivaled, and up there in the mountains, it'll be a BLAST.
I believe they are 180hp now, yes? It's on the list. Only issue is power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smgs1992 View Post
Bmw M4 can be had in that price range in those miles
I'll have to look again - seems that most I was looking at all were over $45K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
Manual Golf R.
Fun yes, but very boring to look at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
Or a TTRS.
This would be a winner if they made it in the newer body styles. TTS would probably work but also pricey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
How hard is she driving it? Gotta say I am STUNNED how well our Stelvio drives, absolutely stunned. I mean it is still a SUV but it made the X3 feel like a boat.
We aren't really SUV folks - but she has the Giulia on the top of her list. I have a 4c and we love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_Rudi View Post
Are we sure this is "for the wife?"

I know little to nothing about them, but I have a feeling this will change in the next couple of years; but I've been looking at used Aston Martins. Something to consider. Reasonably affordable depending on the series, year and mileage.
She loves the Aston, but...

1) It pushes the boundries of 'somewhat' reliable, lol.
2) There needs to be a repair facility within a reasonable distance - say 100 miles, and there isn't unfortunately.
      06-16-2020, 01:34 PM   #30
2000cs
Captain
Rep
Drives: Potato

So there is a Ford kit for the Miata, and a Chevy kit. Both are in the spirit of Carroll Shelby. Resolves any issues of low power.

The “pink” comment wasn’t directed at her in any way, it was just to make a pickup truck stand out in a sea of pickups!

Last edited by 2000cs; 06-16-2020 at 01:40 PM..
Appreciate 1
Run Silent15127.00
      06-16-2020, 01:44 PM   #31
Conissah
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
I believe they are 180hp now, yes? It's on the list. Only issue is power.
180 crank, usually 150 wheel. I was unaware of differences between the ND1 motor and ND2 motor, and simply quoted WHEEL horsepower on the ND1. They normally put down 150, compared to my 1990 NA that mkaes 95 ish to the tire. The ND2 pulls way harder and makes 175 wheel, very impressive. Link below is to dyno of 2 stock ND Miatas.

https://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=675633

Just wanna point out that a Polymetal grey ND Miata with red interior and some nice Brembos will be HAWT.
Appreciate 2
      06-16-2020, 02:49 PM   #32
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
How about a John Works Mini Cooper?
Appreciate 2
      06-16-2020, 02:52 PM   #33
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
RS7 is far too big. She drives a 435 cabrio now and thinks it's huge. RS3 might be worth a look, unsure of $$$? Showed her an S3 and she thought it was nice but boring looking. Love the Caymans, can't afford a newer one, so worried a bit about age on the 987.2's.
Well, not that it helps, but check out the renderings for the new RS3...probably won't look that good, but I wouldn't be surprised if the sedan takes some looks from the RS6 that is now on our shores.

https://carbuzz.com/news/we-hope-the...ooks-this-good

But brand new it will be above your desired price point. You could probably get a 2018 though for around your price.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 02:56 PM   #34
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Will make you a sweet deal on my wife's used Nissan Leaf. Your wife will stand out in the crowd for all the wrong reasons.

a. Looking for something that stands out from the crowd, unique in a parking lot. = Check! It's hideous.
b. Price point is around $30K - $35K. = Check!
c. Must be 2012 or newer and less than 40K miles on it. = Check!
d. Needs to be moderately reliable as this will be a daily driver. = Triple Check! Not a single repair in 40,000 miles.
e. Prefer manual or DCT, but would consider an automatic if it was the right car. = Check. it's a single speed auto, but refer to your point about being "the right car". This is TOTALLY the right car. Trust me.
f. Maint costs or upkeep costs are not really an issue, within reason. = Check! New set of tires at 30k and wirer blades. That's the only maintenance we've had rto do.
g. Would prefer at least a minimal backseat to use in a pinch, but not required. = Check! Even has a seat heater for the back seats.
h. Must be fun to drive and enjoyable. = Check! Compared with walking, it's waaaay more fun.

Shall we make shipping arrangements now?
Appreciate 3
Joekerr7926.00
Run Silent15127.00
vreihen1614882.00
      06-16-2020, 03:02 PM   #35
andrewmr
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4

Garage List
Quote:
As the title says - going to grab a new car for the wife and looking for some ideas that maybe I've not thought of before.

Here are the specifics:

a. Looking for something that stands out from the crowd, unique in a parking lot.
b. Price point is around $30K - $35K.
c. Must be 2012 or newer and less than 40K miles on it.
d. Needs to be moderately reliable as this will be a daily driver.
e. Prefer manual or DCT, but would consider an automatic if it was the right car.
f. Maint costs or upkeep costs are not really an issue, within reason.
g. Would prefer at least a minimal backseat to use in a pinch, but not required.
h. Must be fun to drive and enjoyable.

Some ideas that are currently on the table are a 2009+ Porsche Cayman but worried about it being too old, also 2018 or 2019 Alfa Giulia Ti 2.0T seems to be of interest. Another option was the Focus RS, but not very cool looking. The Miata RF was another choice, but worried about performance. Thought about the BMW M235 or M240, but she finds them boring looking.

Not really sure about the value on the cars I'm gonna throw out there, but it's not my money. In all seriousness, spending a few extra bucks may be worth it at this stage.

I have two lines of thought. The first is Audi and the next is Porsche.

In the Audi line I was thinking S5 or S3. Or RS versions if they fall into the price range.

In the Porsche line, the Boxster/Cayman platform. Or perhaps a 997.1 car. They are a little higher than your price point, but within reach. My personal pick would be a Macan GTS, but they are significantly higher than your price point.
Appreciate 1
Run Silent15127.00
      06-16-2020, 03:12 PM   #36
sethwas
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU View Post
You already mentioned it, but the first car I thought of within that criteria is an MX-5 which could be found new at that price point as well.
Or since he mentioned Alfa there's the Fiat 124. Modern day safety included.

Only issue is there isn't a back seat. if that's a problem which it might be for a daily, especially if there is a purse or bag involved.
Some might say a used model S.

Me personally? I'd love to import a Kei car. Don't know if they are 'fun' to drive but fun to own sure. There is that Honda S660 though...

Seth
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 03:34 PM   #37
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekidM2C View Post
I had one and loved it! Even had some crazy exhaust that came with like a bluetooth fob to turn it from normal to sport mode. It had some pretty loud snap crackle pop going on! I really enjoyed it, but was not super comfortable.
Appreciate 2
      06-16-2020, 03:42 PM   #38
Jordan's World
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i M-Sport Coupe

Not sure if its been mentioned, but I'd get her a Lexus IS 250 or 350.

My Mom has one with the F sport package and she adores it. Check out consumer reports, it's rated one of the most reliable luxury sedans on the market. Resale is great also.

Last edited by Jordan's World; 06-16-2020 at 03:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 03:44 PM   #39
swhat
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 MW E92

I have a 2017 Jag F-Pace 35t Prestige for sale. 30k. DM me if you are interested.
Appreciate 1
Run Silent15127.00
      06-16-2020, 03:48 PM   #40
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekidM2C View Post
We've already got an F56 MCS with a heavy tune on it that I daily drive. Love that little thing, but she isn't a huge fan herself. Funny - cause it seems to check every box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmr View Post
Not really sure about the value on the cars I'm gonna throw out there, but it's not my money. In all seriousness, spending a few extra bucks may be worth it at this stage.

I have two lines of thought. The first is Audi and the next is Porsche.

In the Audi line I was thinking S5 or S3. Or RS versions if they fall into the price range.

In the Porsche line, the Boxster/Cayman platform. Or perhaps a 997.1 car. They are a little higher than your price point, but within reach. My personal pick would be a Macan GTS, but they are significantly higher than your price point.
The Cayman, Alfa, and Jag are probably the top contenders. 997 would be perfect except that it's too much money - and overpriced in my opinion as well. Must be 2009 or newer on the Porsches as we don't want to have any worries about IMS. 997.2 is out of budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethwas View Post
Or since he mentioned Alfa there's the Fiat 124. Modern day safety included.

Only issue is there isn't a back seat. if that's a problem which it might be for a daily, especially if there is a purse or bag involved.
Some might say a used model S.

Me personally? I'd love to import a Kei car. Don't know if they are 'fun' to drive but fun to own sure. There is that Honda S660 though...

Seth
Fiat Abarth spider has been a consideration except for the fact that she drove one and thought that it was dog slow. Also had an insanely loud cabin, hence the RF requirement for the Miata. Model S is too big - she has a 4 series BMW now and says it's huge. She's super tiny.

Love the kei cars - she especially loves the Nissan Figaro - but obviously not as a daily driver.
      06-16-2020, 03:49 PM   #41
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan's World View Post
Not sure if its been mentioned, but I'd get her a Lexus IS 250 or 350.

My Mom has one with the F sport package and she adores it. Check out consumer reports, it's rated one of the most reliable luxury SUV's on the market. Resale is great also.
No Lexus - lol - her name isn't Karen and she doesn't want to talk to the manager. Seriously though, she hates Lexus, primarily because they are (a) boring as hell and (b) driven by everyone she didn't like.
Smgs1992720.00
      06-16-2020, 03:58 PM   #42
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
No Lexus - lol - her name isn't Karen and she doesn't want to talk to the manager. Seriously though, she hates Lexus, primarily because they are (a) boring as hell and (b) driven by everyone she didn't like.
I see why you married her lol.
Appreciate 1
Run Silent15127.00
      06-16-2020, 04:02 PM   #43
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Maybe an SL550... I dunno I think Karen might like those too
Appreciate 1
Run Silent15127.00
      06-16-2020, 04:10 PM   #44
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

2016+ Camaro SS. In your budget, corvette engine, manual, not quite as horrible interior as a C6.
Appreciate 0