THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Closing Roof Manually in Event of Malfunction

07-13-2020, 12:03 AM   #1
Oldbay
Private
Rep
Drives: M240IC 6MT RWD

Closing Roof Manually in Event of Malfunction

Hey Folks,

Just thought about this tonight. I did a quick search and didn't see anything pop-up. My apologies if this has been asked.

Question: if there is ever some malfunction with the roof system (whatever that might be) is there a way to close the roof manually?

Regards,
OB
Appreciate 1
MLJR235116.50
      07-13-2020, 08:34 AM   #2
John in VA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

I didn't see anything in the TIS either. E23/24/28/30s had a tool in the trunk toolkit & instructions in the owner's manual to manually close the sunroof.
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining

Last edited by John in VA; 07-13-2020 at 05:19 PM.. Reason: Was thinking sunroof not convertible top
Appreciate 1
MLJR235116.50
      07-13-2020, 10:55 AM   #3
msej449
msej449
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M235i Convertible +LSD 2016

Garage List
Yes, it's described in the Owner's Manual (paper version) and App version ('BMW Driver's Guide') as well. in the App it's under 'Convertible Top, Emergency Operation' and titled 'Closing Convertible top manually'.

The manual says that 'opening' / 'lifting out' the convertible top (i.e. putting the roof up) needs two people and not surprisingly, they have to be careful to avoid getting hands trapped in the mechanism.

It also seems to indicate that if you close the top (i.e. fold it away in the storage compartment') then you can't access the boot! which is a good reason for never doing it, even if the mechanism has failed in an almost-folded-down-completely position.

And as an aside, it also says that if you interrupt the operation, then leave the ignition off, then it waits ten minutes 'before being lowered slowly'. I've done this while vacuuming the roof and storage compartment and it's disconcerting if you're not aware: this is not the point at which you want to have reached in to clean the compartment/fabric by hand ...

Here's the pages from my BMW Drivers Guide App re putting the roof up, but be aware the app is VIN-specific, so what's correct for my UK 2016 M235i may be different for another vehicle.
__________________________________________________ ____
ADDENDUM: The first step below is from the BMW Online Service Manual - this step doesn't appear in the Owner's App.*

Unlocking convertible top compartment lid:

Open tailgate

Pop button (1) on left and right out of luggage compartment trim panel
Pull button (1) on left and right and unlock soft top compartment lid
Close rear lid

Attention!
After operation of the emergency release, leave the Bowden cable and do not insert it behind the luggage compartment trim panel again. Insert the Bowden cable behind the luggage compartment trim panel only after a one-time automatic closing of the soft top.

[*The owner's app appears to assume you have stored the soft-top away manually first, leaving the tonneau cover loose, because it's unrestrained by the Bowden cable and locks that apply when it's a motorised closure. This is just speculation by me but be aware this first step may/may not be necessary.]

and then

Last edited by msej449; 07-21-2020 at 10:01 AM..
Appreciate 1
BimBimM21486.00
      07-13-2020, 11:59 PM   #4
Oldbay
Private
Rep

Thanks for the info! That was very helpful!
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2020, 12:56 PM   #5
Neverlost99
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2105 228ix

Great, something else to worry about
      07-16-2020, 03:55 PM   #6
JackMikk
Rep
Drives: BMW 7 and 5\ Camaro SS 19

You know, I found your topic with the same problem encountered. But in general I broke the wind, lol
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2020, 04:31 PM   #7
morphomeman
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235ix

Garage List
2016 BMW X3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M235ix  [0.00]
Nothing on the sunroof?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2020, 07:38 PM   #8
Hapbob
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240 2018

Just wondered

I just purchased my first bmw convertible. I assume the roof will always open and close as advertised.
I park in garage and only drive it this time of year on nice sunny days. So the top hasn’t been put up in a few weeks.
Is that ok or should it be unpacked now and then ?
Hap
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 06:23 AM   #9
msej449
msej449
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
@hapbob The manual recommends not folding it away for more than 24h if it's wet when you fold it.

My understanding is also that you should try to store the car with the roof up, to keep the fabric stretched and avoid permanently creasing it. This isn't in the manual - it's just what I've gleaned from various Forums, so the time period involved isn't explicit - I take it to mean overnight or longer.

You can drive with the top up and windows open at speed, but to avoid the top 'flapping' the manual recommends turning the aircon to [Auto] and high fan.

The manual recommends running the car in [Auto] aircon as it is aware of the roof down and adjusts cabin airflow to match car speed.

If you are cleaning the car and part-fold-down the top - e.g. to vacuum-clean the storage compartment - then with the ignition on, it will wait 10 mins 'before being lowered slowly' but if the ignition is off it will 'move down after a short time'. So be careful not to have your hands anywhere near the mechanism.

BMW do a concentrated soft-top cleaner and separate soft-top conditioner, which I found work well, and last a fair time. Note that the soft-top cleaner fluid [s/n 83122352678 in the UK] is different from the soft-top proofing fluid [s/n 83122298223]. You don't need to use much proofing agent to treat a 2 Series roof, and my 250ml bottle has lasted over 2 years, so I think it's fairly cost-effective.

It's definitely worth vacuuming the fabric regularly - you'd be surprised how much stuff it picks up. I've found vacuuming with a brush attachment along the bias of the fabric works best.

Last edited by msej449; 07-17-2020 at 10:28 AM..
Appreciate 1
nazali1298.00
      07-19-2020, 01:10 AM   #10
Oldbay
Private
Rep

Agree...I always store my car with the top up to keep the fabric stretched.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 09:47 AM   #11
msej449
msej449
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
UPDATE: The on-line BMW Service Manual site lists an extra, initial operation, to release the tonneau cover, below:
__________________________________________________ ____

Unlocking convertible top compartment lid:

Open tailgate

Pop button (1) on left and right out of luggage compartment trim panel
Pull button (1) on left and right and unlock soft top compartment lid
Close rear lid

Attention!
After operation of the emergency release, leave the Bowden cable and do not insert it behind the luggage compartment trim panel again. Insert the Bowden cable behind the luggage compartment trim panel only after a one-time automatic closing of the soft top.

I'd suspected there was a missing initial step, to release the tonneau, as I thought the cover had to be locked-down firmly in some way. The rest of the process is as described earlier.

The full service manual also describes another reason for not putting the roof down manually - because if you do, the tonneau isn't locked in place and can move upward. What the app owners manual describes, I think, is the process for putting the top up again manually after you've put it down manually previously, when the tonneau won't be locked in place and you can just pull it upwards. There is a logical inconsistency here, as if you put the roof down manually, you can't open the trunk (boot). But to put the top up, you need to open the trunk (boot) to get to the Bowden cable releases ....

Last edited by msej449; 07-21-2020 at 10:04 AM..
Appreciate 0