THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum 2 Series Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery Waiting on a build code?

05-09-2019, 10:05 AM   #1
Hammer09
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M240i

Waiting on a build code?

Ordered a 2020 M240i 30 days ago from my local dealer and still have not gotten a build code. The guy that I placed the order with says that it shows up in the order bank, but that he still does not have a production number. I asked before I placed the order if he had an allotment for the 2020 M240i but he said that he had to check and never got back to me on the issue. Am I getting jerked around or is this a normal timeline?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 11:36 AM   #2
Cjnj
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i xdrive

I'm not 100% sure what the timeline is however I believe the Production number is the last 7 of your VIN which wouldn't be assigned until its scheduled for production...Someone else may be able to confirm this information as I'm no expert. Though I also didn't ask my dealer for any of that information until the car was on the boat and they provided me with the VIN no problem.

As an aside my MY20 is still on the boat.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 11:43 AM   #3
Tslbmw
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 24 M2 ZB MT

Yeah, the production # is different and one that he would get from his SA at the dealership. This # is given as long as his dealer has an open allotment. OP, it sounds like they're jerking you around a little - I placed my order and had a production # from my dealer on the same day 3/19/19. My MY20 is also on the boat.

Once you get that production #, you can log into MyGarage and track it -- once production begins, you'll receive your VIN.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 01:07 PM   #4
Cjnj
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Then yes it sounds like they are playing some games. I asked when I ordered mine around the beginning to middle of March and was told there were lots of allocations available as it was a new production year and within 2 weeks it was scheduled for production (April 14th).
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2019, 11:28 AM   #5
GAD1
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 230i

I called 1 800 831 1117. Asked, when prompted, for vehicle production status entered my production number and found that my 2020 230i was in production and would end production on 6/20/19. Now does anyone know how long it takes from end of production to received at the dealership? It looks like it comes in at a NY port and I live Just North of Syracuse,NY. I am thinking (hopeing) that maybe I will see it the first week in July. It does seem that from the first to the 20th is a long time for a build. I was thinking it might only take a week.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 08:50 AM   #6
tcollier91
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M240i

I placed my order at the dealership 5/28. Don't have a build code yet, but my dealer has already submitted my performance center delivery days and is waiting to hear back from them? Seems like they can't plan delivery before they even build the car, but what do I know.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 09:33 AM   #7
Tslbmw
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAD1 View Post
I called 1 800 831 1117. Asked, when prompted, for vehicle production status entered my production number and found that my 2020 230i was in production and would end production on 6/20/19. Now does anyone know how long it takes from end of production to received at the dealership? It looks like it comes in at a NY port and I live Just North of Syracuse,NY. I am thinking (hopeing) that maybe I will see it the first week in July. It does seem that from the first to the 20th is a long time for a build. I was thinking it might only take a week.
My abbreviated 2020 m240i order timeline:
Ordered 3/19/19
Went into production 4/5/19
Build complete 4/18/19
Hit the port in Baltimore 5/19/19

However, mine is still sitting at the port waiting for the knee air bag recall - still no idea when it will arrive here in Richmond Va . But typically, it'll hit your dealership about a 5-7 days after it's unloaded off the ship.

And you're right, the build doesn't take that long, but that's what they tell you. You'll notice on myGarage that on 6/20 your car will have jumped a bunch of steps and be very close to the port in Bremerhaven by then.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 10:09 PM   #8
Kokanator135
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: seeking m240i

1st week of March order,
3rd week of March production,
Sorry, I can't remember when it got on a boat,
May 1st delivery!

I'm sorry to hear about the ridiculous delay at port. I must've just escaped before the recall. I did have a slight delay for the 2020 models to be released, but it was a minimal delay, considering I got some port-installed accessories and tint and ppf done before I actually took possession... Will probably have to get the recall addressed at some point, as I assume it applies to all 2020 2-series.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 07:52 AM   #9
Cjnj
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAD1 View Post
I live just across the border from you in Ontario. My 230 was off the line around April 16th and it still has not arrived at the dealership. It is somewhere between Halifax (POE) and my dealer; Just wanted to put it out there that it may not come that quickly.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 09:41 AM   #10
Tslbmw
Private First Class
Rep

Cjnj - Since you said yours is somewhere in transit between Halifax and the dealership, does that mean they've already completed the recall on yours?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 10:11 AM   #11
Cjnj
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tslbmw View Post
Cjnj - Since you said yours is somewhere in transit between Halifax and the dealership, does that mean they've already completed the recall on yours?
Just ran my VIN on the BMW site and the recall is still open therefore I assume that is the delay. My dealer had a similarly spec'd 230 as mine that was in Canada before mine was even built and they still have not seen it.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 10:21 AM   #12
Tslbmw
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjnj View Post
Just ran my VIN on the BMW site and the recall is still open therefore I assume that is the delay. My dealer had a similarly spec'd 230 as mine that was in Canada before mine was even built and they still have not seen it.
I spoke to my SA last night and he said the parts for the recall are in -- and mentioned that it was a two day job at the port. I asked, "Will I see the car next week then?" He said he's "hopeful." Of course, 5 mins later in the conversation as we're wrapping up he says, "We'll get this delivered sometime in June for ya!" So, now I'm thinking "the parts are in" comment may have just been BS and he really has no clue.

With that said, I know the dealers are in a tough position here with all the ambiguity (parts, timing, which cars get fixed first, etc) regarding this recall.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 10:39 AM   #13
Cjnj
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I spoke to my SA last night and he said the parts for the recall are in -- and mentioned that it was a two day job at the port. I asked, "Will I see the car next week then?" He said he's "hopeful." Of course, 5 mins later in the conversation as we're wrapping up he says, "We'll get this delivered sometime in June for ya!" So, now I'm thinking "the parts are in" comment may have just been BS and he really has no clue.

With that said, I know the dealers are in a tough position here with all the ambiguity (parts, timing, which cars get fixed first, etc) regarding this recall.
I know they don't have come control over the port or delivery...they seem to be at the mercy of the port and the train and trucking companies. Not sure why the recall couldn't be done at the dealership as part of the prep (common sense). I know my car arrived at the POE on the 11th or 12th of May.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 10:52 AM   #14
Tslbmw
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I know they don't have come control over the port or delivery...they seem to be at the mercy of the port and the train and trucking companies. Not sure why the recall couldn't be done at the dealership as part of the prep (common sense). I know my car arrived at the POE on the 11th or 12th of May.
Ha! I couldn't agree more with the do it at the dealership/common sense part.....of course, then I'd be driving by EVERY night leaving nose and drool prints on the glass just staring at it. It's probably better for me that it's sitting at the port
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 11:46 AM   #15
Cjnj
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Ha! I couldn't agree more with the do it at the dealership/common sense part.....of course, then I'd be driving by EVERY night leaving nose and drool prints on the glass just staring at it. It's probably better for me that it's sitting at the port
....But why? you'd be driving it wouldn't you? I know if it was at my dealership they'd have it on the road in a few days.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 12:01 PM   #16
Tslbmw
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
....But why? you'd be driving it wouldn't you? I know if it was at my dealership they'd have it on the road in a few days.
Oh, I'm just assuming they still don't have the parts available for the recall fix and they'd just hold my car at the dealership until they arrive...
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 12:04 PM   #17
Tslbmw
Private First Class
Rep

Honestly, that's the part I don't quite understand, can BMW legally sell me a car that is awaiting a recall?? I know that if I took delivery earlier this year before the recall was issued, I'd be driving the car and waiting for the recall letter to arrive.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 12:12 PM   #18
Cjnj
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Honestly, that's the part I don't quite understand, can BMW legally sell me a car that is awaiting a recall?? I know that if I took delivery earlier this year before the recall was issued, I'd be driving the car and waiting for the recall letter to arrive.
I believe it is a Government thing at this point as they are actually "Importing" the car. I'm just assuming that parts aren't the issue. My last BMW sat in port for almost 3 months because of a rail shortage (basically the cars just kept piling up in the port)
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 06:46 PM   #19
MAILIYAT
Private
Rep
Drives: MUSTANG

Quote:
I'm not 100% sure what the timeline is however

As an aside my MY20 is still on the boat.
but that he still does not have a production number. I asked before I placed the order if he had an allotment for the 2020 M240i but he said that he had to check and never got back to me on the issue. Am I getting jerked around or is this a normal timeline?

Last edited by MAILIYAT; 11-15-2019 at 10:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 01:58 PM   #20
MAILIYAT
Private
Rep
Drives: MUSTANG

Quote:
I live just across the border from you in Ontario. My 230 was off the line around April 16th and it still has not arrived at the dealership. It is somewhere between Halifax nd my dealer; Just wanted to put it out there that it may not come that quickly.
have a production number. I asked before I placed the order if he had an allotment for the 2020 M240i but he said that he had to check and never got back to me on the issue. Am I getting jerked around or is this a normal timeline?

Last edited by MAILIYAT; 11-15-2019 at 10:59 AM..
Appreciate 0