THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack those who could not get the PSS by default

06-09-2014, 01:18 PM   #23
thomps
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Ughh.

The powers that be at BMW really need to address this with dealers ASAP. It's becoming an epidemic, and it's kind of a big deal, considering the performance advantage of the PSS and how much of a hassle (and cost) it is to change out the tires on a brand new car.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 03:10 PM   #24
eugewu88
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: m235i to be

Quote:
Originally Posted by soghetto View Post
what does your invoice show?
[2PG]- these are the PSS that are advertised as default or standard.

otherwise it probably shows:
[2TR] optional - all seasons
[258] optional - runflats

my dealer said he was not able to enter the order with 2PG or leave it blank and try to get whats default, would give an invalid order error. said he called the factory and they advised the 2PG is no longer an option.... placed order late May.
So what is the difference between the 2TR all seasons and the 258 runflats?

I am having the same issue with my dealer order.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 05:05 PM   #25
Bob M235i
Registered
Rep
Drives: M235i

M235i tires in Sweden

Hi everyone

Most of you seem to be discussing the US market, so I am sorry if this is off topic. Perhaps it can still be informative...

I am in Sweden, I have ordered an M235i, and after some correspondence with both my dealer and BMW Sweden on the subject of tires, this is what it looks like for me.

My product sheet says 2PG for the rims, and 258 for the tires, which to the best of my knowledge are summer RFTs, not all season. (All season tires are hardly ever used in Sweden, due to conditions being very different in summer and winter.)

According to both my dealer and BMW Sweden, these RFTs are standard in Scandinavia, with no option. By BMW Sweden I am also told that if the car is fitted with non-RFTs by the customer, BMW Mobile Care is no longer valid in case of a flat tire.

My dealer further tells me that the dimensions of the tires will be 225/40 ZR 18Y front and 245/35 ZR 18Y back, and that the limited top speed of my car will not be affected by these tires, but remain at the normal 250 km/h (155 mph).

I have tried to find out what brand of tires I will get, but without luck.

My conclusion (or at least the one I am hoping for) is that, although I can't get factory fitted MPSS, I am getting some kind of performance RFTs. Which on the other hand seems to be a contradiction in terms, judging from what I am reading in here.

I don't know if my case sheds any light on this discussion from a non-Scandinavian perspective, but I'd be curious to hear what you guys make of it.

Bob

Last edited by Bob M235i; 06-09-2014 at 05:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 05:05 PM   #26
soghetto
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: MY14 MG M235i 8-AT

Garage List
2014 m235i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by eugewu88 View Post
So what is the difference between the 2TR all seasons and the 258 runflats?

I am having the same issue with my dealer order.

when 2TR is added as an option, 258 becomes added automatically. so its no difference, just another code that shows up once 2TR is selected, to show that its selected a run flat tire I take it.

I dont know this for fact because I never used the "system" to enter my own order but from what I gather, this is the reason dealers cant just delete 2TR and add 2PG - because there is no such option as non all season and run flats.

pulled from one of the other threads:
1. No options = PSS + non-runflat
2. All season + runflat

Invalid options that would get rejected:
1. Non-all seasons + runflat
2. All season + non-runflat
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 05:07 PM   #27
///M235i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomps View Post
Ughh.

The powers that be at BMW really need to address this with dealers ASAP. It's becoming an epidemic, and it's kind of a big deal, considering the performance advantage of the PSS and how much of a hassle (and cost) it is to change out the tires on a brand new car.
It is a huge deal considering this is a performance car that with that in mind was built purposefully standard with PSS, with staggered configuration, and top speed limiter boost. Each of these dealers seem to be glossing over the issue whenever it is brought to their attention trying to make customer feel like it is No big deal, and when they screw up the tire config on the order screen the customer is left without 3 unique features added to enhance performance - PSS, Staggered, Top speed limiter. There is a 10k diff between 228 and 235. These features in part are integral to the appeal of the car.

Last edited by ///M235i; 06-09-2014 at 05:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 05:08 PM   #28
Oyinko
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob M235i View Post
Hi everyone

Most of you seem to be discussing the US market, so I am sorry if this is off topic. Perhaps it can still be informative...

I am in Sweden, I have ordered an M235i, and after some correspondence with both my dealer and BMW Sweden on the subject of tires, this is what it looks like for me.

My product sheet says 2PG for the rims, and 258 for the tires, which to the best of my knowledge are summer RFTs, not all season. (All season tires are hardly ever used in Sweden, due to conditions being very different in summer and winter.)

According to both my dealer and BMW Sweden, these RFTs are standard in Scandinavia, with no option. By BMW Sweden I am also told that if the car is fitted with non-RFTs by the customer, BMW Mobile Care is no longer valid in case of a flat tire.

My dealer further tells me that the dimensions of the tires will be 225/40 ZR 18Y front and 245/35 ZR 18Y back, and that the limited top speed of my car will not be affected by these tires, but remain at the normal 250 km/h (155 mph).

I have tried to find out what brand of tires I will get, but without luck.

My conclusion (or at least the one I am hoping for) is that, although I can't get factory fitted MPSS, I am getting some kind of performance RFTs. Which on the other hand seems to be a contradiction in terms, judging from what I am reading in here.

I don't know if my case sheds any light on this discussion from a non-Scandinavian perspective, but I'd be curious to hear what you guys make of it?

Bob
You will get the Bridgestone Potenza

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=19
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 05:24 PM   #29
soghetto
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 m235i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob M235i View Post
I really hope this is the case. if this was told to me when they explained they cant get me the PSS from the factory even after calling them, I would be much happier and let it go... of course after trying to have them meet me half way on a new set of PSS.

thanks for adding your info Bob, it was informative and gives me hope

starts to make me wonder if the factory did in fact run short on tires. and the dealers that said they could get them will still turn around and say sorry come delivery time?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 10:28 AM   #30
wmo168
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Need one!

A very knowledge CA said once the car has RFT option (All Season) in the build, it won't be possible to remove it in the ordering system. The only way to have summer tire is to submit a new order (new production number). Not sure if this is a ordering system issue or this could be an issue with 2014 remaining allocation as BMW don't have any Summer Tire available as 2014 production is ending and forcing all remaining allocated order to have all season? For those who have summer tire option on 2014 remaining allocation would be lucky to have...

[ED Photo 12'] [ED Photo 11'] [ED Photo 09'] [PCD Photo 09']

Last edited by wmo168; 06-10-2014 at 10:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 12:33 PM   #31
disco4me
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmo168 View Post
A very knowledge CA said once the car has RFT option (All Season) in the build, it won't be possible to remove it in the ordering system. The only way to have summer tire is to submit a new order (new production number). Not sure if this is a ordering system issue or this could be an issue with 2014 remaining allocation as BMW don't have any Summer Tire available as 2014 production is ending and forcing all remaining allocated order to have all season? For those who have summer tire option on 2014 remaining allocation would be lucky to have...
Since others have posted about the need to place an entirely new order for the last couple of months, I doubt it has anything to do with last minute forcing people to take something they don't want. This appears to have been an ongoing order system failure that requires the placing of a new substitute order if the order was not placed properly (i.e. the CA selecting anything to do with tires which results in not getting the default tire arrangement which are the summer tires / PSS / staggered arrangment)...IMO.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 09:00 PM   #32
mjposner
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 40i

The top speed limit can always be removed with code, and he car will look better with 19s so I am not to worried about my all season tires for now.

My Car Photo Blog: http://carfisheye.blogspot.com/
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 08:24 AM   #33
soghetto
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 m235i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjposner View Post
The top speed limit can always be removed with code, and he car will look better with 19s so I am not to worried about my all season tires for now.
while this is true, what if you ordered the 19's from the factory but come delivery time, you got 18's because they were "out of stock" on the 19's? or even being told up front 19's were no longer available.
you are not getting what you expected, or wanted, and have to come out of pocket to purchase what you thought (and was advertised) to be coming on the car.

any mixup can be overcome by throwing money at it. but that negates all your savings off MSRP -which if known up front, would make most people go someplace else to buy. so its the typical process of the salesman selling you the world when you place the order - then not being held accountable for any wrong or mis-information that was told to nudge you along.

comes down to the principalities. everyone has their own limit of how much they will take before being pushed too far. some people this is a deal breaker, to others, they will accept it because of how bad they want the car. salesmen know this and try to get you excited to lower the risk of you walking once you find out about being mislead... whether intentional or not... just my humble opinion.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 08:32 AM   #34
///M235i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by soghetto View Post
while this is true, what if you ordered the 19's from the factory but come delivery time, you got 18's because they were "out of stock" on the 19's? or even being told up front 19's were no longer available.
you are not getting what you expected, or wanted, and have to come out of pocket to purchase what you thought (and was advertised) to be coming on the car.

any mixup can be overcome by throwing money at it. but that negates all your savings off MSRP -which if known up front, would make most people go someplace else to buy. so its the typical process of the salesman selling you the world when you place the order - then not being held accountable for any wrong or mis-information that was told to nudge you along.

comes down to the principalities. everyone has their own limit of how much they will take before being pushed too far. some people this is a deal breaker, to others, they will accept it because of how bad they want the car. salesmen know this and try to get you excited to lower the risk of you walking once you find out about being mislead... whether intentional or not... just my humble opinion.
So ghetto is right
Also, ahem... Those that bought theirs off the lot have no play whatsoever in judging how big a deal this is because whether they were ignorant to the issue or not they made a decision to buy off the lot as already built. Just say in'
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2014, 08:27 AM   #35
mjposner
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 40i

"what if you ordered the 19's from the factory but come delivery time, you got 18's because they were "out of stock" on the 19's?" Well you could cancel the order, or expect a healthy price reduction as it is not what you paid for.

However, the car is sold only with 18s as options per bmwusa build you own, so not sure how anyone would have gotten 19s from factory.

PERFORMANCE OPTIONS
18" double-spoke 436M wheels w/ mixed summer tires $0
Manual Transmission $0
18" double-spoke 436M wheels w/ all-season tires

My Car Photo Blog: http://carfisheye.blogspot.com/
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2014, 01:25 PM   #36
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
My dealer ended up ordering my car wrong and I received it with the all-season square set up. I didn't notice it till 2 days later but was able to talk my dealership into ordering me a new car (with the correct wheels and tires) and they're letting me keep the current car till the new one arrives.

They initially tried ordering new wheels and tires but were told by a BMW engineer that once the car leaves the factory, the computer could not be reprogrammed to the 155 mph top end speed limit.

So if any of you have this problem, do not accept the wrong spec'd car, fight for what you paid for!
Appreciate 0