THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Turbosmart BOV Kompact EM Plumb Back

04-18-2021, 11:23 PM   #1
XXM235i
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i

Hey guys,

Has anyone installed the Turbosmart BOV Kompact EM Plumb Back VR9?

I recently fitted mine and I'm trying work out if the sound it makes is normal. It's quite a loud chirp sound whenever you build boost and lift off the throttle. I was under the impression the plumb back was quiet and sounded like the stock diverter valve.

All the videos and reviews I've looked up relate to the dual port version and not the plumb back.

I did message Turbosmart directly and sent them a video of the sound and they seem to think it's normal and is due to the plumb backs not flowing as much and so the chirping sound is caused by the air flowing through the smaller passage. This may be correct but I would of thought if that was the case, the standard diverter valve would have done the same?

I've attached a video of the sound. If anyone who's also fitted the plumb back version can comment as to whether this is how theirs sound, that would be great!

Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 07:10 AM   #2
jb-slow
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m235i

I get more of a psshhh sound, it's not quiet but not obnoxious either.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 06:19 PM   #3
F22ryan
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW m235i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXM235i View Post
Hey guys,

I recently fitted mine and I'm trying work out if the sound it makes is normal. It's quite a loud chirp sound whenever you build boost and lift off the throttle. I was under the impression the plumb back was quiet and sounded like the stock diverter valve.

All the videos and reviews I've looked up relate to the dual port version and not the plumb back.

I did message Turbosmart directly and sent them a video of the sound and they seem to think it's normal and is due to the plumb backs not flowing as much and so the chirping sound is caused by the air flowing through the smaller passage. This may be correct but I would of thought if that was the case, the standard diverter valve would have done the same?

I've attached a video of the sound. If anyone who's also fitted the plumb back version can comment as to whether this is how theirs sound, that would be great!

Hi there I'm curious what your BOV sounds like under boost load my blow off makes the exact same noise the quick chirp but I am more so wondering if you get a STUSTUSTUSTU I will share a video also FYI I have a m235i not a f30

https://youtube.com/shorts/5J_8wZvwSXw?feature=share
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 08:52 AM   #4
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb-slow View Post
I get more of a psshhh sound, it's not quiet but not obnoxious either.
+1

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2021, 05:23 AM   #5
XXM235i
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yungf30 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXM235i View Post
Hey guys,

Hi there I'm curious what your BOV sounds like under boost load my blow off makes the exact same noise the quick chirp but I am more so wondering if you get a STUSTUSTUSTU I will share a video also FYI I have a m235i not a f30

https://youtube.com/shorts/5J_8wZvwSXw?feature=share
Hey, I get a very quiet flutter/STUSTUSTUSTU every now and then but nothing like in that video. The chirp sound is the main noise I get when letting off under boost.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2021, 09:13 AM   #6
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

I barely hear mine...