THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N20 (228i) / B46 (230i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning N20 Oil Pump Chain

03-26-2021, 08:07 AM   #1
Kodax
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 220i

N20 Oil Pump Chain

Hello everyone, I know that the timing chain issue has been discussed quite extensively on this forum and multiple other BMW forums as well. And, the common consensus would be that pre-2015 N20 engines would have the old design timing chain installed and it is a ticking time bomb until the engine goes south. It is one of the preventive maintenance recommendations for the N20 engines.

However, there hasn't been much discussion about the oil pump chain replacements or at least the topics that discuss oil pump chain seems to be in high correlation with timing chain. Hence, is the oil pump chain prone to failure? I am asking because I did replace my timing belt and the rails about 2 years back. However, I didn't take the opportunity to replace the oil pump chain which I am kicking myself in the foot for that. Should I replace the oil pump chain as a preventive maintenance? Or most of the chain issues are predominating related to the timing chain and I should leave my oil pump chain alone?

Any inputs are appreciated. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 12:10 PM   #2
PeanuKeeyes
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E34 | MX5

Just watched this last night and he covers this topic near the start of the video. It’s a little long but very useful info here for us N20 owners.