THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Tracking / Autocrossing Which Are Your Favorite Tracks?

11-09-2020, 07:52 PM   #1
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Which Are Your Favorite Tracks?

A question just popped into my mind, and it's this: which tracks are your favorites; and, more importantly, why?

Before continuing, I'd like to say that this isn't meant to be a kind of contest. Some of us have been to quite a few tracks, while others may have been to only one track. This is a chance for every owner to describe and discuss what we enjoy about the tracks we drive. That's all. If you've only been to one track and you've enjoyed it, or not, please share your experiences with the rest of us.

Mind you, there are a lot of drivers who enjoy the camaraderie more than they do the driving itself. For track junkies like myself, I believe that is always worth keeping in mind.

I'm hoping that answers to this question will encourage drivers to either travel to tracks they haven't previously driven; or, perhaps even better, cause owners who have yet to attend a track event to choose to attend one.

FWIW, this hobby continues to be the most fun you can have with your clothes on. No, seriously, it just is, okay.

Tracks are different enough from one another that the drivers I've canvassed over the years generally express with very clear and distinct reasons why they enjoy one track over a seemingly very similar track. Those kinds of expressions are what I would like to elicit here. Regardless of the number of track days or variety of tracks you've driven, there is no wrong way of expressing what you like about the tracks you've driven. Please, feel free to share your most important experiences.

I'd like to offer an example from a driver for whom I have the greatest respect and who surprised me with his evaluation of two of the tracks we'd both driven. This gentleman, who has I don't know how many hundreds of track days under his belt and at I don't know how many tracks, told me that he was very favorably disposed to Calabogie Motorsports Park, and that in contrast he didn't really care for the track at Monticello Motor Club.

My own experience is that these two tracks were so similar that in a general sense it was hard to tell them apart. Yet, this gentleman had very strong feelings about why one was more enjoyable than the other. The reason I use this example is that I had the opposite experience. Despite both being "drive five corners here, then drive over there to drive five more corners, then drive over there...(two more times)", I found MMC to be much more suited to what I would like out of a track. So, and as always, personal preferences rule, mileages will vary, and there is no accounting for taste.

What I hope makes this subject interesting is that there's no arguing with personal preference. One driver will feel that he or she is at one while driving a particular track, and the next driver won't care much at all for that same track. I think if we share with each other what we enjoy, and don't enjoy, from the tracks we drive, we have the opportunity to expand the number of 2 Series owners who consider taking their cars to the track.

It's such a great hobby, at whatever level it's pursued, that I'd like to see it encouraged among 2 Series owners.

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

If this post receives some feedback, I intend to post my favorite tracks, along with my feelings for why I favor each.

First, however, I'd like to read, see, and hear what other members have to share.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2020, 11:32 PM   #2
230iZTR
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Signal Orange wrapped 230i THP

I've only gotten on track at Thermal Club for a BMW Performance Center Event. And what a place!? Getting a membership there or at Spring Mountain in Nevada is the If-I'm-Ever-Rich country club dream.

I had planned on hitting Thunderhill this year in my own car, but the pandemic delayed that. I'm also near to Laguna Seca and Sonoma as places I'd like to try in the future, but I'm still getting my feet wet and want to stick to one track til I actually learn it and get faster.

Reno-Fernley Raceway, my closest track, fell into disrepair years ago and has been slowly working its way back to relevance, rebuilding community ties, paving short sections of the course, etc. Hopefully next year they'll have at least one of the loops in good enough condition to justify sending nice cars on grip runs instead of just drift cars shredding their second-hand tires on the cheese-grater surface.

As far as sim racing goes, Circuit of the Americas and Road Atlanta are my favorites. They have really technical bits that will make or break your run on the subsequent high speed zones.
17x9 APEX Arc8-R, 255/40/17 RE71Rs, Vorshlag Plates, Swift Spec-R Springs, m-Performance Bumpstops, Dinan ShockWare, Paragon 2-piece rotors, Carbon lip, FTP Intake and Charge pipe, BootMod3 Stage 1 OTS
Appreciate 1
dradernh4179.00
      11-12-2020, 07:51 PM   #3
msendit
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i

Oh, fun topic!

Mine has to be Oregon Raceway Park. It's a small track about two hours east of Portland, OR, straight in the middle of nowhere. The course is a roller-coaster -- pretty much no straights, lots of elevation change, blind turns everywhere. There's a even a halfpipe -- a sequence of 3 turns with massive banking flowing into each other. And when the weather's good you see Mt. Hood towering behind all that. It's just a awesome driving experience. Here's a video of me fumbling around learning the course.

Unfortunately, they don't seem to be doing too well -- the track has been for sale for a while now. I'm sure being so remote has something to do with it.

Maybe I like it so much because the one time I went, the experience was pretty surreal. I was heading to Portland to compete in the Hood To Coast running relay. Think 12 runners stuck in a van, alternating between trying to catch up on sleep and getting off to run a leg at 5-something minutes per mile pace. Lather and repeat for 200 miles / 20 hours. Then celebrate (we did ok) and head off to the track a few hours later, sleep-deprived, sore and generally exhausted. Sling a car around the rollercoaster all day, then saddle up for a 10-hour overnight drive back to the bay area, just in time for Monday morning at the day job... Fun times.

Last edited by msendit; 11-12-2020 at 08:04 PM..
Appreciate 1
dradernh4179.00
      11-16-2020, 01:52 PM   #4
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

I have to vote for Watkins Glen. The only major track I've run on, but truly legendary (and kinda scary in places). Hoping to get to branch out and try others next year (? Lime Rock, Mosport, mid-Ohio, NYST).
Appreciate 1
dradernh4179.00
      11-16-2020, 07:56 PM   #5
ggggbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 Manual

I've only driven two big tracks. Brainerd International Raceway, and Road America. If I could drive anywhere, I'm not sure either would be my favorite. I've spectated at Lime Rock, Watkins Glen, and Road Atlanta, and they all look very interesting.

Brainerd has two versions. The original longer 'Donnybrook' course, and the 'Competition' course. The longer course makes use of the drag strip for the front straight, and then goes in to a huge banked corner. You're going 130+ easy at the end of the straight, and if you have the balls (and the tires), you keep it floored through the banked corner. I don't have the nerve for it, and always lifted. I would usually just be catching a friend in an E36 M3 at that point, and it looked like he had afterburners as he pulled away through that corner. It's followed by a flat 100+ sweeper, and calibrating between the banked and then flat corners really keeps you on your game.

The shorter competition course is mostly the same course, but the front drag strip and (sadly) the banked corner are replaced by a shorter path through the infield, with some trickier corners and a carousel. That leaves the drag strip open so they can run two events at the same time. Last year they also ran snow-mobile watercross on an infield lake, for a triple event day. Lots of fun to go check out the watercross and drags between sessions. (And people think HPDE days are odd, when others are totally into driving snowmobiles around a lake. ) Sadly, I don't have any good renders of the long course, but this is from the short course:

The main downside of Brainerd is that it is flat. No elevation change at all. I actually prefer the shorter Competition course. The dragstrip is so wide and long it just gets really boring. You really don't get the sense of speed.

I've spectated at Road America since the early 70's. (Yeah, I'm old.) The first time I drove it, it was a parade lap in my station wagon with bikes on the roof rack. Still cool to see it from the drivers perspective. I've now done two HPDE weekends there now that I have a trackable car. It is a very impressive place. The track is long. 4 miles. So you have plenty of room. It rarely feels crowded, and there are lots of point by spots. The facility itself is beautiful, and very well kept. Plenty of elevation change, and some interesting (and some scary) corners. But as much as I enjoy it, I kind of feel something is a bit lacking.

One issue is the straights. There are 3 long straights, all ending in tight 90 degree corners. The front straight is just boring. Not as bad as Brainerds drag strip, but almost. The middle straight has nice bends and a truly tricky off camber over the rise brake zone, where you drop from the fastest point on the track to the slowest corner. The back straight isn't straight, but you're still floored. And you're down in a valley between close trees, and the sense of speed is awesome. But still, I wish there was more cornering, and more different types of corners. The M235 is a fast car though, and the straights do go by quickly. And there are some tricky corners like 6 and 13, which are somewhat blind.

And then there is the truly scary 'Kink'. The Kink is legendary as a 'racers' corner. Taken correctly, it is a very fast 90+ sweeper. But the exit is blind, and the walls are close, and it's always the coldest wettest part of the track. It's hard to get the entrance right, and if you get it wrong, you are likely in the wall. Last year I saw brand new M340i totally destroyed after bouncing off both sides four times. Really makes you think when you need to drive your car home for work the next day. But taken right it feels so good.

This is from my last session there (also posted in another thread):

Ideally, I'd like to get a cross between Road America, with it's lovely facilities and scenery and elevation changes, crossed with the more technical and varied corners of Brainerd. With my limited travel budget, not sure how many other courses I'll get to, but I definitely want to drive on more. Blackhawk is 6 hours away. Grattan is 9 hours, but I have family near there for a double dip. Wish I was still on the east coast, with all the closer options there.
Appreciate 1
dradernh4179.00
      11-17-2020, 08:27 AM   #6
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Laguna Seca FTW!
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 06:30 PM   #7
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by msendit View Post
Mine has to be Oregon Raceway Park. It's a small track about two hours east of Portland, OR, straight in the middle of nowhere. The course is a roller-coaster -- pretty much no straights, lots of elevation change, blind turns everywhere. There's a even a halfpipe -- a sequence of 3 turns with massive banking flowing into each other. And when the weather's good you see Mt. Hood towering behind all that. It's just a awesome driving experience. Here's a video of me fumbling around learning the course.

Unfortunately, they don't seem to be doing too well -- the track has been for sale for a while now. I'm sure being so remote has something to do with it.

Maybe I like it so much because the one time I went, the experience was pretty surreal. I was heading to Portland to compete in the Hood To Coast running relay. Think 12 runners stuck in a van, alternating between trying to catch up on sleep and getting off to run a leg at 5-something minutes per mile pace. Lather and repeat for 200 miles / 20 hours. Then celebrate (we did ok) and head off to the track a few hours later, sleep-deprived, sore and generally exhausted. Sling a car around the rollercoaster all day, then saddle up for a 10-hour overnight drive back to the bay area, just in time for Monday morning at the day job... Fun times.
I enjoyed your video and learning about Oregon Raceway Park. Thanks.

Those banked turns look like crazy fun; I'd love to run them with A7s on the car.

It's interesting that the track is for sale, as in the video the asphalt looks like it was laid down very recently. When I think of all the chewed-up, patched, rough, and otherwise less than ideal track surfaces I've wrestled cars up and down, that pavement looks to die for.

I ran 10Ks in the high-32s way back in the day, but I don't know that I was ever ready to drive a road course at speed after running a race. If I'd known about the few track days available back then, I would liked to have found out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
I have to vote for Watkins Glen. The only major track I've run on, but truly legendary (and kinda scary in places). Hoping to get to branch out and try others next year (? Lime Rock, Mosport, mid-Ohio, NYST).
Thanks, Allan – that's certainly my favorite track. More verbiage on that later.

A couple of other tracks I've run on have had similar qualities, but I found the Glen to be the best fit for me and my cars. Whichever the track, I hope other drivers come to experience the same sort of affinity for a track that I have with Watkins Glen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggggbmw View Post
I've only driven two big tracks. Brainerd International Raceway, and Road America. If I could drive anywhere, I'm not sure either would be my favorite. I've spectated at Lime Rock, Watkins Glen, and Road Atlanta, and they all look very interesting.

Brainerd has two versions. The original longer 'Donnybrook' course, and the 'Competition' course. The longer course makes use of the drag strip for the front straight, and then goes in to a huge banked corner. You're going 130+ easy at the end of the straight, and if you have the balls (and the tires), you keep it floored through the banked corner. I don't have the nerve for it, and always lifted. I would usually just be catching a friend in an E36 M3 at that point, and it looked like he had afterburners as he pulled away through that corner. It's followed by a flat 100+ sweeper, and calibrating between the banked and then flat corners really keeps you on your game.

The shorter competition course is mostly the same course, but the front drag strip and (sadly) the banked corner are replaced by a shorter path through the infield, with some trickier corners and a carousel. That leaves the drag strip open so they can run two events at the same time. Last year they also ran snow-mobile watercross on an infield lake, for a triple event day. Lots of fun to go check out the watercross and drags between sessions. (And people think HPDE days are odd, when others are totally into driving snowmobiles around a lake. ) Sadly, I don't have any good renders of the long course, but this is from the short course.

The main downside of Brainerd is that it is flat. No elevation change at all. I actually prefer the shorter Competition course. The dragstrip is so wide and long it just gets really boring. You really don't get the sense of speed.

I've spectated at Road America since the early 70's. (Yeah, I'm old.) The first time I drove it, it was a parade lap in my station wagon with bikes on the roof rack. Still cool to see it from the drivers perspective. I've now done two HPDE weekends there now that I have a trackable car. It is a very impressive place. The track is long. 4 miles. So you have plenty of room. It rarely feels crowded, and there are lots of point by spots. The facility itself is beautiful, and very well kept. Plenty of elevation change, and some interesting (and some scary) corners. But as much as I enjoy it, I kind of feel something is a bit lacking.

One issue is the straights. There are 3 long straights, all ending in tight 90 degree corners. The front straight is just boring. Not as bad as Brainerds drag strip, but almost. The middle straight has nice bends and a truly tricky off camber over the rise brake zone, where you drop from the fastest point on the track to the slowest corner. The back straight isn't straight, but you're still floored. And you're down in a valley between close trees, and the sense of speed is awesome. But still, I wish there was more cornering, and more different types of corners. The M235 is a fast car though, and the straights do go by quickly. And there are some tricky corners like 6 and 13, which are somewhat blind.

And then there is the truly scary 'Kink'. The Kink is legendary as a 'racers' corner. Taken correctly, it is a very fast 90+ sweeper. But the exit is blind, and the walls are close, and it's always the coldest wettest part of the track. It's hard to get the entrance right, and if you get it wrong, you are likely in the wall. Last year I saw brand new M340i totally destroyed after bouncing off both sides four times. Really makes you think when you need to drive your car home for work the next day. But taken right it feels so good.

This is from my last session there (also posted in another thread).

Ideally, I'd like to get a cross between Road America, with it's lovely facilities and scenery and elevation changes, crossed with the more technical and varied corners of Brainerd. With my limited travel budget, not sure how many other courses I'll get to, but I definitely want to drive on more. Blackhawk is 6 hours away. Grattan is 9 hours, but I have family near there for a double dip. Wish I was still on the east coast, with all the closer options there.
Thank you very much for your in-depth reviews. I hope they’ll help other drivers have an idea of what Brainerd and Road America have to offer, and maybe even encourage them to give the tracks a try.

Your comment about running the drag strip into the banked corner at Brainerd reminded me of running my bike at Northern California‘s Vacaville back in the late-60s. That track was much like New Hampshire Motor Speedway is today: an oval with an integrated road course. What I recall most vividly is that, given the very flexible motorcycle frames of the day, the transition from flat-out on the straight into the banked turn was quite dramatic.

The pavement was in poor shape everywhere on that track, and especially so at the transitions. My bike would “pogo” as it made the transition, and I just had to hope, wish, and assume that it would settle down. Believe me, being 18 years old helped with that!

As it was, on more than a few occasions I saw the ambulance up on top of the banking as it tended to a rider whose bike had thrown him off the high side while he was trying to make the straight-to-banking transition. Every lap, I prayed I wasn’t going to be that guy.

On tv I’ve watched pro and pro-am races at Road America, and the track has always impressed me as being very high-speed and one where talent in the braking zones is at a premium. It does look like a track that would satisfy those who want to put their foots on the floor to get all the speed that they can.

Re: the M340i wreck: I saw a wreck a couple of years ago on tv at what I’ve assumed is “the Kink”, and it was pretty dramatic. It was an Pirelli World Challenge pro-am race, and it looked like the driver simply made a DE-driver type mistake by over-correcting after getting off in the grass. The wreck looked pretty scary; even more so, I imagine, if you’d been in the driver’s chair. BTW, that move is popular coming onto the main straight at Lime Rock, and just about every DE classroom instructor reminds drivers to take their time easing back onto the driving surface.

Link to that pro-am wreck (start at 4:45 to see the before and after of Samantha Tan's off-track excursion): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oc_420K1CM. Ouch!

Last edited by dradernh; 12-19-2020 at 05:28 PM.. Reason: Found a Video of the Pro-Am Wreck in the Kink at Road America
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 08:49 PM   #8
4Hockey4
Banned
Rep
Drives: Pinto

Back in 80's I got to run a 914 (not stock lol) around Summit. Love that track, long and short turns, nice straights.

Don't have lots of exp. but loved that track.
Appreciate 1
dradernh4179.00
      11-18-2020, 09:54 PM   #9
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Hockey4 View Post
Back in 80's I got to run a 914 (not stock lol) around Summit. Love that track, long and short turns, nice straights.

Don't have lots of exp. but loved that track.
I've only run Summit Point Main, but I think that is one swell track, too.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2020, 07:04 PM   #10
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep

My favorite track is Watkins Glen. The flow between turns and the elevation changes make it an incredibly exciting track to drive at speed. Among the major tracks in the Northeast US and South Eastern Canada, I've found that only Mont Tremblant and Mosport are comparable and in the same class when flow and elevation change are the criteria.

These are, of course, personal observations. I know many drivers who have other criteria for choosing their favorite tracks, and I've always found it stimulating to engage with them on the subject. Still, I can't understand why they don't agree with me!

At the Glen, the section between T1 turn-in and T4 exit is a roller coaster ride like nothing else in the Northeast. If you can stand the excitement, you're flat between T1 exit and T4 exit, climbing 60' in elevation in ~5 seconds between the apexes of T2 and T3. I can't recall exactly how he put it, but Jackie Stewart described that section as the most challenging at the time on the F1 circuit. At the speeds F1 drivers were traveling then, I can believe that. The slightest changes in steering input make a huge difference in that section, and it doesn't matter what you're driving.

More than anything else, the experience of flow between turns is a personal experience. Except for the Bus Stop, which is a total hoot in its own right, I've found that the turns at the Glen flow together more perfectly than on any other track I've driven.

The T10-T11 section is the most exciting two-turn section I've driven on any track. When you're nailing it, you're in and out of there so fast you can't believe it took ~12-13 seconds from T10 lift to T11 track-out. It's not a good place to sneeze, although a few years ago the Glen added plenty of paved run-off room so NASCAR drivers could have more room on exit. That enabled us DE and club racer types to be much more aggressive exiting T10. Rockin'-and-rollin' up, over, and beyond the T10 exit curbing is about as much fun as track driving gets. Thank you, NASCAR!

If you go to the Glen for the first time, it could be useful to know that T6 is the most common place to total a car. From what I've seen of pro and pro-am races, that isn't confined only to DE drivers. My opinion is that the issue for DE drivers has been that they've traditionally been taught a late entry to T6 (and to most other turns, too). My general observation is that the problem with T6 and other turns is that if you're counting on a late entry making you safer (that's been the typical rationale) and you then arrive at your turn-in point going too fast (so much easier in today's cars), you're going to have to adjust for the extra speed you're carrying. The problem with T6 at the Glen is that there's no room to fix the problem. I recommend watching the Watkins Glen video I've posted to see where the proper turn-in point for T6 is located. You may notice that if there's an issue at that turn-in point the driver has quite a bit of track surface and time during which he or she can solve any problem.

Last edited by dradernh; 12-19-2020 at 07:11 PM..
Appreciate 2
Maynard3804.50
MassNerd171.00
      12-19-2020, 08:59 PM   #11
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

The new tracks that have just started construction near me at Badlands Motorsports Resort have a good chance of being near the top in North America: https://badlandsmotorsportsresort.com/

They are designed by Alan Wilson who also designed Mont Tremblant and about 3 dozen other tracks around the world. The valley track in particular has lots of elevation changes with one turn with 12 degrees downward slope through the turn that has about 25m / 80 feet elevation change to the next turn.

I’ve had my membership deposit down for a couple of years, they are currently projecting the first circuit paving to be complete by Sept, depending on Covid complications.
Appreciate 1
dradernh4179.00
      12-19-2020, 10:13 PM   #12
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, F22 M240

Being in the north east, my favorite is Calabogie, West of Ottawa for its fast paced 20 turns and 5km track.

Watkins Glen is next. You got to love turn 1 through 4.

Mont Tremblant, north of Montreal. Turn 2 at 100mph+.

And lastly Mosport (Canadian Tire Motor Park) outside Toronto. Fast, small and dangerous. Love it.
      12-20-2020, 12:11 PM   #13
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgalaxy View Post
Being in the north east, my favorite is Calabogie, West of Ottawa for its fast paced 20 turns and 5km track.

Watkins Glen is next. You got to love turn 1 through 4.

Mont Tremblant, north of Montreal. Turn 2 at 100mph+.

And lastly Mosport (Canadian Tire Motor Park) outside Toronto. Fast, small and dangerous. Love it.
Mont T and Mosport were both on my list to try this past year, really hoping things open up to try them in '21 (Lime Rock, NYST, and perhaps Mid Ohio also on the short list). For now Watkins Glen is tops - I love several of the sequences, but I think my very favorite is 5>6>7. The Carousel diving down into the 'laces' and then down into the boot is really something else. Can't say that I've ever really gotten it RIGHT, but it feels so much better when I'm at least getting close. I've actually watched cars in front of me lose it in both 6 and 7 this year and both can be very unforgiving, especially when it is wet and cold (but that's only about 270 days a year up here in Upstate NY, so no biggie).
Appreciate 1
dradernh4179.00
      12-20-2020, 03:06 PM   #14
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
Mont T and Mosport were both on my list to try this past year, really hoping things open up to try them in '21 (Lime Rock, NYST, and perhaps Mid Ohio also on the short list). For now Watkins Glen is tops - I love several of the sequences, but I think my very favorite is 5>6>7. The Carousel diving down into the 'laces' and then down into the boot is really something else. Can't say that I've ever really gotten it RIGHT, but it feels so much better when I'm at least getting close. I've actually watched cars in front of me lose it in both 6 and 7 this year and both can be very unforgiving, especially when it is wet and cold (but that's only about 270 days a year up here in Upstate NY, so no biggie).
I love WG. My kryptonite is turn 1. Thank God for the wide run off. Hoping for a healthy track season in 2021 to all. Ho ho ho.
      12-20-2020, 06:15 PM   #15
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgalaxy View Post
I love WG. My kryptonite is turn 1. Thank God for the wide run off.
I arrived late to a NASA weekend in 2014 and ran into a friend who was campaigning a Miata. He'd had an issue in T1 and wound up stopped way out there against the wall.

Very shortly after he'd parked it, another driver had a T1 issue and not only wound up in the general vicinity of my friend's Miata, he found a way to stick his car right up against the Miata.

That just went to show that no matter how much runoff room there is in a turn (and not only does the Glen's T1 have as much as you could ever hope for, it's paved for gosh sakes!), there are drivers who are determined to show that there's no such thing as enough runoff!

Last edited by dradernh; 12-21-2020 at 01:07 PM..
Appreciate 1
Maynard3804.50
      12-21-2020, 05:37 PM   #16
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
I arrived late to a NASA weekend in 2014 and ran into a friend who was campaigning a Miata. He'd had an issue in T1 and wound up stopped way out there against the wall.

Very shortly after he'd parked it, another driver had a T1 issue and not only wound up in the general vicinity of my friend's Miata, he found a way to stick his car right up against the Miata.

That just went to show that no matter how much runoff room there is in a turn (and not only does the Glen's T1 have as much as you could ever hope for, it's paved for gosh sakes!), there are drivers who are determined to show that there's no such thing as enough runoff!
T1 and bus stop are great reality checks for brake fade. I had a good time reviewing some of my old in car video of WG earlier today - watching some of those fun fails ... nope, never enough run off. lol.
      12-21-2020, 10:33 PM   #17
K8_M235i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: CM E36

I missed this post somehow, but I enjoyed reading everyone's answers first.

To start I thought I would mention a track that most people in the Northeast like to say they dislike, NHMS. Everyone loves to talk about how bumpy it is and how it's just an old nascar oval with a half road course tacked on, but I think that is what makes it fun and entertaining to drive. There are great curbs, tons of quick elevation changed, and two great configurations. The south oval configuration is very changing because the oval itself has a few different lines that work, and it is a very important part of the track to not lose time on. NHMS is not my favorite track, but it doesn't deserve the hate it receives.

As much as I love Watkins Glen and everything about the track/town/area, I think for pure driving pleasure I think I have to pick Limerock.

Out of all the tracks I've driven, I don't think that there is a track more mentally challenging than Limerock. After a bmwcca day earlier this year I was blown away by how fun it was to continually lap LRP with cars of similar pace. Towards the end of the day they did an hour long open session and I stayed out for about 45 mins of it. I focused on running consistent 1:04's while passing and getting passed by a variety of different BMW's and Porsches. I was so physically and mentally tired after, it felt amazing (it was also 95* ambient). For this reason I love Limerock.

I would probably feeling differently if I drove Watkins Glen with double the amount of cars that are usually on track, but I guess I'll have to wait for club racing for that.
1998 S54 E36 M3 BMWCCA Club Racing #532 CM
1995 E36 M3 Sunbelt S52
Appreciate 1
dradernh4179.00
      12-22-2020, 03:43 PM   #18
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by K8_M235i View Post
As much as I love Watkins Glen and everything about the track/town/area, I think for pure driving pleasure I think I have to pick Limerock.

Out of all the tracks I've driven, I don't think that there is a track more mentally challenging than Limerock. After a bmwcca day earlier this year I was blown away by how fun it was to continually lap LRP with cars of similar pace. Towards the end of the day they did an hour long open session and I stayed out for about 45 mins of it. I focused on running consistent 1:04's while passing and getting passed by a variety of different BMW's and Porsches. I was so physically and mentally tired after, it felt amazing (it was also 95* ambient). For this reason I love Limerock.
I like LRP a lot, too, and the rapidity with which eight turns arrive in a lap lasting around one minute is pretty darn exhilarating. With the elevation changes and each turn being different, Lime Rock has a real roller coaster effect to it.

For sheer demands on a car and driver, I found the section from the Uphill, through West Bend, and through the Downhill Turn to be the most challenging set of sequential turns anywhere I'd driven. Those turns will test any driver.
Appreciate 1
K8_M235i475.50
      05-30-2021, 12:44 PM   #19
Christian76
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235xi

Mid Ohio is great with the elevation changes. Check out MVP track time for the bigger tracks. If you're ever in Michigan, Waterford is a great smaller track that doesn't usually cost as much to run.
Appreciate 1
dradernh4179.00