THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB Lambda/O2 sensor failure

09-23-2020, 01:35 PM   #1
ztx84
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Competition Xdrive

Lambda/O2 sensor failure

Hi everyone,

My dad has a 218d which has just experienced a lambda/o2 sensor failure. The car is a 2017 model so just in warranty (thankfully) and has done 16,000 miles since new. The car was serviced and passed its MOT last week so this is a bit of a surprise. Any ideas about what might cause a failure of this type / might this mask a more serious problem?

I would have thought that a dodgy sensor would have affected the emissions causing an MOT failure last week, so to have this happen literally 6 days after the MOT is strange... Any input/thoughts welcome. Are there any questions I should ask the garage (who have been good I must admit)?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 09:23 AM   #2
delvec03
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i Sport/ DSB

is that down upstream or downstream sensor?

my downstream sensor failed and I replaces it with a part off Amazon for about $30? I also picked up an o2 sensor removal tool which allowed me to do it in about 20 minutes.

from what I read, O2 sensor technology has not changed really ever and the cheap parts are just as robust and work just as well as the expensive parts. it's been about a year and a half and I've had zero issues on the new part.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 09:41 AM   #3
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

I think ( I did read ) that if you were detailing the engine bay with the car running and spraying silicone based spray to rejuvenate or spraying some exterior spray waxes with silicone with a running engine - that silicone can mess up lambda sensor or mass air flow sensors.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 10:32 AM   #4
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
I think ( I did read ) that if you were detailing the engine bay with the car running and spraying silicone based spray to rejuvenate or spraying some exterior spray waxes with silicone with a running engine - that silicone can mess up lambda sensor or mass air flow sensors.
This is possible due to the outside of the sensor needing to have access to ambient air as a reference, see the illustration part way down this page: https://www.ngkntk.co.jp/english/pro...ia_oxygen.html. Even with the engine off, silicone containing products could contaminate the sensor if sprayed on the sensor body or nearby.

It is also has been a problem with a lot of the cheap Amazon and eBay sensors that they are counterfeit or poor quality knock-offs that may quickly fail or not function properly at all, best to determine the OEM sensor manufacturer (Bosch, NGK/NTK, Denso, etc) and use a parts cross reference to purchase the equivalent at a reasonable cost from companies such as Rock Auto.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 01:52 PM   #5
ztx84
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Competition Xdrive

What happened here as it turns out was an EGR valve failure which took out the o2 sensor. All replaced under warranty (dad had about 4 days warranty left at the time of the failure!)
Appreciate 0