THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Meth and E85

05-10-2021, 10:12 PM   #1
mikeysosa
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M235i

Garage List
1995 Mazda Miata  [0.00]
2016 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Meth and E85

So I've been wanting to ask a quick question for a while. Been scouring the forums and haven't found anything. Has anyone ever run E85 port injection AND methanol charge pipe injection. Currently I am running meth right now and was thinking of switching to E85, but if I can have both then the more the merrier.
Thanks!
      05-11-2021, 12:53 PM   #2
mikeysosa
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1995 Mazda Miata  [0.00]
2016 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeysosa View Post
So I've been wanting to ask a quick question for a while. Been scouring the forums and haven't found anything. Has anyone ever run E85 port injection AND methanol charge pipe injection. Currently I am running meth right now and was thinking of switching to E85, but if I can have both then the more the merrier.
Thanks!
bump
      05-31-2021, 08:35 PM   #3
Steventalon1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M235i

I have not but I am sure cooling your charge air/keeping IATs down will be beneficial. Yes btw people do run both for an added cooling benefit/added octane. For detonation though, E85 will be enough to keep detonation at bay. I personally am not a fan of methanol injection for reliability reasons unless I have AFR/Boost control fail safes set up when spraying (on pump 91/93 mainly). I have never felt the need to compound meth injection and E85. With direct injection, port injection, and meth injection, you are just adding more fueling variables that could possibly throw your AFR off.

What are you doing with the car? If nothing too crazy just upgrade the HPFP, tune, run E85 and call it a day. Then you don't have three systems fueling the car.

There are threads online about this subject too and it also depends on what you are doing with the car as well.

Last edited by Steventalon1; 05-31-2021 at 08:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 09:02 PM   #4
mikeysosa
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1995 Mazda Miata  [0.00]
2016 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steventalon1 View Post
I have not but I am sure cooling your charge air/keeping IATs down will be beneficial. Yes btw people do run both for an added cooling benefit/added octane. For detonation though, E85 will be enough to keep detonation at bay. I personally am not a fan of methanol injection for reliability reasons unless I have AFR/Boost control fail safes set up when spraying (on pump 91/93 mainly). I have never felt the need to compound meth injection and E85. With direct injection, port injection, and meth injection, you are just adding more fueling variables that could possibly throw your AFR off.

What are you doing with the car? If nothing too crazy just upgrade the HPFP, tune, run E85 and call it a day. Then you don't have three systems fueling the car.

There are threads online about this subject too and it also depends on what you are doing with the car as well.
Well I've gone with Pure Stage 2, and I already have a meth kit, and an air intake manifold with a preexisting fuel rail for port injection. With these, I was thinking I wanted to go with a Stage 2 LPFP and simply run port injection with E85, although I already had the meth kit so I was just wondering if I should just drop the system all together? It seems by what I've read that I should.
      06-01-2021, 09:26 PM   #5
cooolone2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 20' M240iX B58, 01' 330XI E46

They both do the same thing, so 2x isn't going to do anything but require less of each... Too much if one thing isn't necessarily good either! You DO NEED some heat, lol, but you want to control the combustion cycle and fight detonation, or pre-detonation. E85 or Meth IMO and they both have their place. But I'm not looking for 1kHP either... Not trying to eek the last drop of HP out of a build, lol, so who knows...
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 10:09 PM   #6
mikeysosa
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1995 Mazda Miata  [0.00]
2016 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooolone2 View Post
They both do the same thing, so 2x isn't going to do anything but require less of each... Too much if one thing isn't necessarily good either! You DO NEED some heat, lol, but you want to control the combustion cycle and fight detonation, or pre-detonation. E85 or Meth IMO and they both have their place. But I'm not looking for 1kHP either... Not trying to eek the last drop of HP out of a build, lol, so who knows...
I think I am just gonna ditch the meth kit and just go with a new LPFP and HPFP. I just made another thread about it asking for advice if you want to pop in there and give your two cents on that topic.