THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Things I HATE about my 2 series

09-01-2019, 10:30 PM   #1057
waxfigure
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i

1. No door pocket = doors are difficult to open and close, especially in tight spots
2. Center console and interior trims squeak when you press on it / rattles when driving
3. No engine temperature gauge
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2019, 01:50 PM   #1058
albertw
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M240i

While using cruise control in eco or comfort the computer cuts power in corners while going only moderately quickly - roughly 140% of the posted advisory speed.

When the advisory speed is slow enough and conditions are right to let me enjoy the corner I switch to sport+ and accelerate to 180 - 200%, but for corners that need too much speed to be enjoyable I stay on cruise at just below the ticket speed. It's irritating to have the computer tell me it thinks I'm going too fast.
      09-02-2019, 08:12 PM   #1059
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 SG 135i DCT; '18 MG M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonasca View Post
I'm 5'2", and in response to why I wasn't able to identify this issue before acquiring the car, it's probably because I couldn't find a manual transmission on a lot within reasonable distance in order to test-drive it, so I test drove the automatic and ordered the manual. I couldn't have foreseen this would happen. If I was driving an automatic, the discomfort would not be nearly as noticeable. It's the arm and shoulder position when shifting that's causing an undeniable problem, impossible to ignore or get used to.
Have you considered a seat cushion?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2019, 07:24 AM   #1060
krhodes1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Wagon

Garage List
2011 128i  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i Touring  [10.00]
Quote:

Absolutely terrible. Considering selling my car after only 6 months because of this hideous design flaw.

Otherwise, you're right, the seats are great
I don't really think you can call it a "hideous design flaw" if you are that much shorter or taller than average. Adult humans range from under 4' tall to over 7' tall - it is simply not possible to design a seat that can comfortably accommodate that variation in size.

I have the opposite problem - I am 6'2" tall, but I have the torso length of someone who is 7' tall. I'm built like a tall gorilla. So I don't fit in much of anything with a sunroof, and until the F-series cars, I was too broad of back to fit comfortably in BMW sport seats, there were just too narrow.

I was able to work around the sunroof issue by ordering an M235i with the sunroof delete, but I really had no use for the six cylinder engine otherwise. I would have preferred to keep the $5K and get an M-Sport 228i. But I am afraid an optional smaller seat is probably too much to ask for.

We both need to blame our parents, not BMW.

'11 328! Touring - Tasman on Chestnut, 6spd manual, factory upside-down "i" option
'11 128i Convertible - Space Gray on Savannah Beige, 6spd manual,
also '14 Mercedes-Benz E350 wagon, '95 Land Rover Discovery, '74 Triumph Spitfire
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2019, 10:33 AM   #1061
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

The GD clutch delay valve (CDV). This utter POS makes normal driving with the 6MT needlessly jerky and clunky. I've been driving manuals for three decades now and this is by far the most difficult manual to drive smoothly. The CDV really makes you have to think about clutch modulation and it can make the catch point move around a bit. It's as if BMW intentionally added this device to push people towards buying automatics. I know I can delete it (and will), but it's a bit of a pain. I've owned this car for 3.5 years now and it is by far my biggest complaint with the car.

The intended purpose of the CDV is to reduce hard shift shock and drivetrain damage on hard shifts. Oddly, when driven in anger, the 6MT is exceptional. I can slam gears hard with a nice firm and direct shift and engagement. I can tell the clutch is robust and sometimes a strong clutch can make engagement difficult, but the CDV is the main culprit for the issues I have.
      09-03-2019, 05:16 PM   #1062
Climate Changer
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 230i xdrive convertible

Garage List
2018 230i xdrive co ...  [0.00]
2019 x3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xi-Xi View Post
Storage for booze bottles. Or storage for glass bottles holding 750 ml of liquid or thereabouts. When coming home from the liquor store I'm forced to try to snug any bottles into the passenger seat with the seat belt. It doesn't usually work that well unless I have a heavy coat to pile in there as ballast. The nets on the back seats are far too tight for anything except maybe for a few letters or a magazine or two. I don't want the damn things flying around the back seat or on the floor. Don't Germans drink wine?
My bottles come in bags and I use the hook in the trunk to secure them.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2019, 07:59 PM   #1063
Bonasca
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBK View Post
Have you considered a seat cushion?
Yes, indeed.
When I elevate myself with a seat cushion, I have trouble reaching the clutch fully, which will also become tiresome and can be dangerous.
If I push the seat forward more to compensate for the leg extension, then the issue with the bolster obstructing my arm gets even worse. I can't win.

I have tried every conceivable combination of seat positions, seat cushion, back cushion, etc.

To the person who said I shouldn't call it a design flaw... I've been driving for 35 years, and have owned 11 vehicles with manual transmissions, including 2 "sport" cars. I've never experienced this issue before. My height wasn't too drastically far from average with any of those. If I'd had similar problems with other cars before, then I might agree with you. This seems flawed to me, as it accommodates a very narrow range of body types.

Last edited by Bonasca; 09-03-2019 at 08:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2019, 10:03 PM   #1064
AndDown
Just Copacetic!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F22 230i MSport

Quote:
Yes, indeed.
When I elevate myself with a seat cushion, I have trouble reaching the clutch fully, which will also become tiresome and can be dangerous.
If I push the seat forward more to compensate for the leg extension, then the issue with the bolster obstructing my arm gets even worse. I can't win.

I have tried every conceivable combination of seat positions, seat cushion, back cushion, etc.

To the person who said I shouldn't call it a design flaw... I've been driving for 35 years, and have owned 11 vehicles with manual transmissions, including 2 "sport" cars. I've never experienced this issue before. My height wasn't too drastically far from average with any of those. If I'd had similar problems with other cars before, then I might agree with you. This seems flawed to me, as it accommodates a very narrow range of body types.
I was reading your original thread and it appears (as you noted) the side “wings” are intrusive with your ability to use the shifter. Unfortunately, the sport seats come standard with the F22's unlike the other model lines. I’m wondering if you might be able to have your seats switched to non-sport seats, but then again, it might be easier to trade in the car for one that comes with standard seats.

Edit: I just noticed in the option list of “Build Your Own” that non-sport seats are available for the luxury package, so there are seats available that you could swap out. Might not be cost effective though, but you might enjoy your drives more!

Last edited by AndDown; 09-03-2019 at 10:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 12:25 PM   #1065
Bonasca
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndDown View Post
I just noticed in the option list of “Build Your Own” that non-sport seats are available for the luxury package, so there are seats available that you could swap out. Might not be cost effective though, but you might enjoy your drives more!
I'm in Canada, and the 2-series here does not have a "luxury" package, or any package that offers different seats. Neither on the "build and price" tool, nor at the dealership. I took the highest level package available on that car, which is called Premium Enhanced here. There were no seat options other than the upholstery.

I was at the dealership yesterday and confirmed this. I also asked about swapping the seats now, and he said that would nullify my warranty (after-market modification) in addition to costing a lot.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 01:37 PM   #1066
Rocky58
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: m240xi

Quote:
I'm in Canada, and the 2-series here does not have a "luxury" package, or any package that offers different seats. Neither on the "build and price" tool, nor at the dealership. I took the highest level package available on that car, which is called Premium Enhanced here. There were no seat options other than the upholstery.

I was at the dealership yesterday and confirmed this. I also asked about swapping the seats now, and he said that would nullify my warranty (after-market modification) in addition to costing a lot.
In the US, that would only affect the warranty on the seats and possibly other items linked to the seats. They cannot deny claims on the engine or transmission etc., the things you really care about. I believe Canadian provincial laws are similar. If you can find a place to replace your driver's seat for a reasonable price, you should do it. It should be fun to drive your car.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 10:09 PM   #1067
AndDown
Just Copacetic!
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Sorry to read about this. When I had my2003 E46 325i, it was giving me lower back aches until I got a backrest from Amazon; look at the ones made by ObusForme, a Canadian company no less! Another one that caught my eye is the attached picture. The back rest would push you out further from those bolsters and it would be a whole cheaper than getting seats replaced. I would hate to see you sell your car if a simple solution like this would help.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 08:11 PM   #1068
YamaLink
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: rust-free '93 Toyota 2wd

Four days ownership. So many thing I like about it, but things I do not like.

The HK system is junk. Hindsight reminds me no music was played during test drives, therefore I didn't know about lack of EQ or how my 13 or 15 speakers simply sounds like two tin cans on the dash playing an AM radio.

As stated earlier, no door pocket...or the grab handle is too far forward. Opening and closing a bit tricky in tight spots.

The turnoff procedure (googled and read so many threads on supposed shutdown "fixes") to shut everything off is a joke. I have enclosed garage, and without getting it coded, I have to hit off twice or lock my car???

Seat belt retrieval was cumbersome at first especially compared to, well, every other car I've ever been in, but now it's okay.

Oh, it came with all season run flats. Winter is almost here and if it's not too bad a snow year I'll burn through the P7 set for replacement next spring. If a bad snow year then gladly put on winters.

Last edited by YamaLink; 09-18-2019 at 10:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 09:13 AM   #1069
AndDown
Just Copacetic!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamaLink View Post
Four days ownership. So many thing I like about it, but things I do not like.

The HK system is junk. Hindsight reminds me no music was played during test drives, therefore I didn't know about lack of EQ or how my 13 or 15 speakers simply sounds like two tin cans on the dash playing an AM radio.

As stated earlier, no door pocket...or the grab handle is too far forward. Opening and closing a bit tricky in tight spots.

The turnoff procedure (googled and read so many threads on supposed shutdown "fixes") to shut everything off is a joke. I have enclosed garage, and without getting it coded, I have to hit off twice or lock my car???

Seat belt retrieval was cumbersome at first especially compared to, well, every other car I've ever been in, but now it's okay.

Oh, it came with all season run flats. Winter is almost here and if it's not too bad a snow year I'll burn through the P7 set for replacement next spring. If a bad snow year then gladly put on winters.
Totally know where you are coming from, but within a couple of weeks, those shutoff quirks became part of an automatic process. I too felt a need for a pocket in the arm rest to close the door, but now find using the grab handle to not be an issue. This is a 2 door model, so the doors are going to be longer than a 4-door model, which then makes it a tighter squeeze to open/close in tight spaces. As for the seat belt, I found reaching downwards and back to grab the belt easier than reaching over the shoulders as in the 4-door models where the B-pillar is more anterior than in a 2-model. The HK system sounds much better if one streams music through a USB connected in the center arm rest; I hardly/never use Sirius or the radio.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 09:43 AM   #1070
YamaLink
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: rust-free '93 Toyota 2wd

Quote:
Totally know where you are coming from, but within a couple of weeks, those shutoff quirks became part of an automatic process. I too felt a need for a pocket in the arm rest to close the door, but now find using the grab handle to not be an issue. This is a 2 door model, so the doors are going to be longer than a 4-door model, which then makes it a tighter squeeze to open/close in tight spaces. As for the seat belt, I found reaching downwards and back to grab the belt easier than reaching over the shoulders as in the 4-door models where the B-pillar is more anterior than in a 2-model. The HK system sounds much better if one streams music through a USB connected in the center arm rest; I hardly/never use Sirius or the radio.
Thanks for the USB vs streaming tip. I was listening to phone's downloaded music via Bluetooth. Sirius is free trial, but already tired of it, haven't listened to local radio in decades.

Great forum, thanks for the input.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 09:34 PM   #1071
AndDown
Just Copacetic!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamaLink View Post
Thanks for the USB vs streaming tip. I was listening to phone's downloaded music via Bluetooth. Sirius is free trial, but already tired of it, haven't listened to local radio in decades.

Great forum, thanks for the input.
If you have an older generation iPod, that's what I've been using to connect to the USB connection. The sound is much fuller than when using my iPhone via BlueTooth. I simply leave the iPod hooked up all the time and the music comes on almost as soon as I have the ignition switched on.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 12:36 AM   #1072
Edslittleworld
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i (6MT)

Garage List
Although I love my M240i (6MT) with only 6K miles on it, I dislike:

1) No steering wheel program advance for music tracks.
2) Sport mode merely stiffens the steering wheel effort rather than sharpens it.
3) No touchscreen on my version.
4) Unnecessarily hard clutch pedal compared to my Jeep, WRX and Tacoma.
5) Mysterious rattle in the back seat.
6) HK sound system is...meh.
7) Too many buttons and not enough multifunction controls like on Japanese cars.
8) Inconsistent (me?) rev-matching. Sometimes it works; other times not.
9) No boost gauge altho I like the Sport Displays.
10) No sunroof on the Sport Package (Hope to remedy with a Miata addition.)
11) No standard LSD.
12) No LED Tailights/turn signals.
13) A/C is adequate, but doesn't have a "blast" mode like my Japanese cars.

Otherwise, the refined power/handling/ride are amazing. Plus, it looks great from all angles.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 08:04 AM   #1073
morphomeman
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235ix

Garage List
2016 BMW X3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M235ix  [0.00]
1) There is a little toggle on the right hand side of the steering wheel, between the volume controls, that will advance through tracks, at least on my '15
10) Are you suggesting that the Sport Package deletes the sunroof? I thought that sunroof delete was a separate option. And is there a Sports Package available on a 240?
13) A/C has a blast mode, though maybe it is not blasty enough for you. None of the Japanese cars I have owned have ever done this better. Maybe I owned the wrong ones.
Appreciate 1
WolfGTI716.00
      09-24-2019, 08:37 AM   #1074
cooolone2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 20' M240iX B58, 01' 330XI E46

Did I read this correctly?

No Engine Oil Dip Stick on the B58?

???

Have a 20' M240i XDrive on order... Lol and never thought to look that close at engine bay.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 11:44 AM   #1075
AndDown
Just Copacetic!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooolone2 View Post
Did I read this correctly?

No Engine Oil Dip Stick on the B58?

???

Have a 20' M240i XDrive on order... Lol and never thought to look that close at engine bay.
There's not been an oil dip stick for the current F-series models, and later E-series models ever since 2006 according to this report...but it might return!
https://tiremeetsroad.com/2018/12/04...oil-dipsticks/
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 06:13 PM   #1076
cooolone2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 20' M240iX B58, 01' 330XI E46

Quote:
There's not been an oil dip stick for the current F-series models, and later E-series models ever since 2006 according to this report...but it might return!
https://tiremeetsroad.com/2018/12/04...oil-dipsticks/
Oh boy... lmao! Who was the bright boy that came up with that idea? Sensors die, they fail, the can be faulty... dipsticks don't lie and I always used it to see the condition of the oil as well.

I'm new to German Engineering, lol.
Although I have a 2001 E46 330Xi for the last 3 years and its a charm

Thanks for the reply.

Regards
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 08:13 PM   #1077
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
... dipsticks don't lie...
Don't be so sure! Funny story...

My daughter had one of the Volvos with higher than expected oil consumption. Lots of dealer visits and measuring tests. Eventually, they launched a "service campaign"....they replaced the dipstick with a longer one with adjusted markings!

They said there was still enough oil in the sump and the shorter dipstick was misleading!
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 01:07 AM   #1078
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
dipsticks don't lie
Dip sticks can be highly inaccurate if not used in the prescribed manner - for example engine oil up to temperature, engine shut off for 5 mins before taking the measurement. The S54 engine would vary 0.5 litres (half the distance between low and high oil levels) when checking the dipstick with cold oil compared with the proper hot oil and correct time after engine shutdown, leading to the risk of over filling and possible oil aeration and bearing damage.
Appreciate 1
kern4174449.50