THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications deAuto LED Rear Turn Signal, Reverse, Brake Lights

12-08-2015, 01:30 AM   #133
T4455
Private
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spydeputy View Post
I just replaced ALL of my M235i incandescent bulbs with deAutoLED's full package replacement LED's. Front turn signials, Rear Turn Signal, Reverse, & Brake Lights. I was a little skeptical at first, at no strobing on start up, and no error codes thrown on all the replacements. But it is true, and I replaced everything in just an hour. This also included the bi-xenon headlights. I replaced the OEM 4300K color with a Philips DS1 6000K color.
Way to go deAutoLED!!!
Yup, you get what you pay for!!

Still love my deAutoLED and suggest it to everyone who notices the huge difference.

I never had the best experience with aliexpress and it is normally trial and error, you can see that they are having issues with their LEDs and need coding, oh well, you are looking at like a $25 difference for something I think is better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteSoulDeep View Post
These are also very bright and have made an incredible difference; like having headlights for the rear! I've no doubt that Deautokey's bulbs are also great, but they're also very expensive. For what I've paid I'm extremely happy and have had lots of comments on them and purchase suggestions / recommendations for other cars.
I'll try to get another video together today showing them all working.
looking into the 2835-SMD vs the OSRAM they offer it looks like deAutoLED are brighter on the led manufacture lumen stats but I would not have any idea if that will tell you how bright they are when in use.

For the price, they are brighter and less expensive vs bimmian, and I feel like if anyone, bimmian is a lot more expensive overall.

Oh well, no big deal just want to give my experience so people can make up their own minds:
aliexpress - needs coding - no warranty I can see - ships from overseas
deAutoLED - no coding required - lifetime warranty which was great as I had to replace one of my lights, my own fault but they were too kind to replace it for me, I don't even want to think what hassle it would have been to contact someone at aliexpress, deAuto replied in minutes and no waiting since they ship within the US.
bimmian-way overpriced and not as bright as less expensive LEDs on the market.

Overall I am happy and I'd actually be happy to pay more for the deAutoLEDs.

Last edited by T4455; 12-09-2015 at 03:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2015, 04:54 AM   #134
Spydeputy
Brigadier General
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2015 F23 M235i/2008,E90,335xi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by T4455 View Post
Yup, you get what you pay for!!

Still love my deAutoLED and suggest it to everyone who notices the huge difference.

I never had the best experience with aliexpress and it is normally trial and error, you can see that they are having issues with their LEDs and need coding, oh well, you are looking at like a $25 difference for something I think is better.

looking into the 2835-SMD vs the OSRAM they offer it looks like deAutoLED are brighter on the led manufacture lumen stats but I would not have any idea if that will tell you how bright they are when in use.

For the price, they are brighter and less expensive vs bimmian, and I feel like if anyone, bimmian is a lot more expensive overall.

Oh well, no big deal just want to give my experience so people can make up their own minds:
aliexpress - needs coding - no warranty I can see - ships from overseas
deAutoLED - no coding required - lifetime warranty which was great as I had to replace one of my lights, my own fault but they were too kind to replace it for me, I don't even want to think what hassle it would have been to contact someone at aliexpress, deAuto replied in minutes and no waiting since they ship within the US.

Overall I am happy and I'd actually be happy to pay more for the deAutoLEDs.
Another M235i with LED lights all around!
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2015, 05:06 AM   #135
T4455
Private
Rep

AHH, I had an LED flicker on me, contacted deAutoLED in a panic and they helped me, they suggested I switch it from one side to another and somehow it fixed the problem, it was blamed on a loose connection and I can see that was most likely the cause. Anyone else have that problem with deAuto?

But they told me they have a lifetime warranty and if it was damaged I could get a new one which I find to be great customer service, I wondered how their lifetime warranty worked and if I would have to fill forms or jump through hoops, they seemed ready to get me a new one quickly, so I am happy with their customer service so far.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2016, 01:59 PM   #136
JQuach07
Private
Rep
Drives: m235i Alpine White

Is there a reason why my car does this?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2016, 02:31 PM   #137
CanadianGatorBacon
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i (holy crap!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JQuach07 View Post
I don't know anything about this, but that's kind of awesome. I don't think I would fix it (as long as it stops like it seems to at the end of the video).
      01-13-2016, 04:15 PM   #138
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
That's plainly the ECU bulb self-check at startup. This needs to be removed by coding. There are threads about it in the Coding/DIY subforum, as well as discussion about it earlier in this thread.

PLEASE, everyone note this: ANY LED bulb will do this at startup in a 2-series (and all BMWs, AFAIK)-- even the brand-name ones DEAutoKey sells. The issue is not the bulb at all; it's the voltage check the car's ECU performs when you start your car. No LED bulb will prevent this.

I repeat: NO LED BULB WILL PREVENT THIS.

That voltage check must be deactivated via coding -- in fact, there is an option for "LED" in E-SYS (the ECU's programming protocol) as part of this procedure, which is a sign that the ECU's software engineers provided an option for LED bulbs/arrays deeper into the current 2-series' lifecycle. Since LEDs have a long service life -- basically the life of the car -- there is no need for the safety check for burned-out LEDs.

Last edited by Viffermike; 01-13-2016 at 04:21 PM..
Appreciate 1
MASHCT677.50
      01-13-2016, 04:17 PM   #139
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianGatorBacon View Post
I don't think I would fix it (as long as it stops like it seems to at the end of the video).
It doesn't. Every few minutes your car will do the same self-check of all of the exterior incandescent bulbs as it does at startup.

Sowwee!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2016, 05:44 PM   #140
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT Mineral White M235i

Quote:
That's kinda cool, but not if it does it while driving.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2016, 06:03 PM   #141
dah
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i convertible

I went with the cheaper aliexpress bulbs, and they are certainly brighter than stock incandescents. All rears flickered, but taken care of with 15 min. of coding. Admittedly, if it is your first attempt at coding it could take hours to carefully figure out.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2016, 06:25 PM   #142
JQuach07
Private
Rep
Drives: m235i Alpine White

So I finished coded it but now it says my left bulb is out. What do I need to change?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 12:48 AM   #143
T4455
Private
Rep

I still have no errors or no issues with deAutoLED after coding.

Still very happy!!! But I hope you do get your situation fixed.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2016, 08:52 AM   #144
AlexGT
Captain
Guatemala
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 MSport

I purchased a set of deAuto LED immediately after purchasing my car, but honestly, I still have those LEDs for my stop lights within a drawer on my office desk. I gave it a lot of thought and never installed them because I wasn't going to able to handle those "hyper flashing" effects when the ECU does those automated checks. I don't have a clue about how to get rid of those checks by coding the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2016, 09:40 AM   #145
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

So, do the lights flicker while you're driving down the road or is that only at start-up?

6MT Mineral White on black M235i coupe
Build thread
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2016, 03:51 PM   #146
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentZero View Post
So, do the lights flicker while you're driving down the road or is that only at start-up?
The lights will flicker every few minutes from the self-check -- but only if they are on. This is key. That's why most don't notice it after startup.

For one, you're not looking at your exterior lights while inside the car. Furthermore, self-checks for things like brake lights and backup lights won't be evident unless those lights are actually activated -- i.e., brakes are applied, or you're in reverse gear, or your turn signal is on. The only lights that are replaceable by LEDs that are constantly on are the front amber running lights, and even in those you won't easily see the flicker unless you're looking for it -- particularly if you're running brighter-them-OEM LEDs.

It's common sense -- and basic electronics. For those of you who think you're not getting flickering: you are. You're just not catching it.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2016, 06:00 PM   #147
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
The lights will flicker every few minutes from the self-check -- but only if they are on. This is key. That's why most don't notice it after startup.

For one, you're not looking at your exterior lights while inside the car. Furthermore, self-checks for things like brake lights and backup lights won't be evident unless those lights are actually activated -- i.e., brakes are applied, or you're in reverse gear, or your turn signal is on. The only lights that are replaceable by LEDs that are constantly on are the front amber running lights, and even in those you won't easily see the flicker unless you're looking for it -- particularly if you're running brighter-them-OEM LEDs.

It's common sense -- and basic electronics. For those of you who think you're not getting flickering: you are. You're just not catching it.
The night time running lights aren't replaced?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2016, 07:51 PM   #148
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
These...

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2pcs-...343108088.html

I've now also installed the reverse lights too which are...

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2pcs-...022087061.html

These are also very bright and have made an incredible difference; like having headlights for the rear! I've no doubt that Deautokey's bulbs are also great, but they're also very expensive. For what I've paid I'm extremely happy and have had lots of comments on them and purchase suggestions / recommendations for other cars.
I'll try to get another video together today showing them all working.
How are you guys doing with your AliExpress LED lights? I'm about to order some and I thought I might check to see if you're still happy with them. I've read that the red brake light LEDs are less bright than some others. I don't care if they are not the brightest, I just want them to be marginally brighter than stock. If they are too bright, that can cause issues too.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2016, 06:36 AM   #149
Thebush121
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 m235i

I'm really happy with the front turn signals and reverse lights. The reverse are light having head lights in the rear, really bright. I have brake lights waiting to be put in but need to figure out the coding. I messed it up once already. I need to find the correct bulbs for reverse turn signals.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2016, 12:10 PM   #150
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I just had word yesterday that my M235i will be with me on the 28th...
So have ordered these in lieu of that:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2pcs-...342558774.html

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2pcs-...352894529.html

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2pcs-...343108088.html
So referring back to Pete's links, he bought the same Samsung 2835 SMD LED amber turn signal bulbs for the front and rear but with the 1156PY Bau15s mount for the front and the 1156 Ba15s for the rear. Did the rear blinkers not work out for you? I was feeling confident about all the bulbs except the rear brake lights . I don't want them to be weaker than stock or ultra bright like fog lights which tend to piss people off. I was also wondering how they look through the taillight lens since they have the LEDs blocked by a mirror. Normal bulbs have the light emitting straight back also.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2016, 02:24 PM   #151
Thebush121
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
So referring back to Pete's links, he bought the same Samsung 2835 SMD LED amber turn signal bulbs for the front and rear but with the 1156PY Bau15s mount for the front and the 1156 Ba15s for the rear. Did the rear blinkers not work out for you? I was feeling confident about all the bulbs except the rear brake lights . I don't want them to be weaker than stock or ultra bright like fog lights which tend to piss people off. I was also wondering how they look through the taillight lens since they have the LEDs blocked by a mirror. Normal bulbs have the light emitting straight back also.
I haven't had a chance to order rear turns and I'm not patient enough to wait a month for delivery. I did get to play with the rear brake light leds for a little bit. They appear to be the same brightness except they are a little bit faster to turn on. The real test would be in the dark.

Here is a poorly done cell phone video I found I had. Left are the LED's, right is oem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRTQydUfTvo

Last edited by Thebush121; 03-27-2016 at 03:00 PM.. Reason: Added video
Appreciate 1
      03-28-2016, 10:40 AM   #152
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebush121 View Post
I haven't had a chance to order rear turns and I'm not patient enough to wait a month for delivery. I did get to play with the rear brake light leds for a little bit. They appear to be the same brightness except they are a little bit faster to turn on. The real test would be in the dark.

Here is a poorly done cell phone video I found I had. Left are the LED's, right is oem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRTQydUfTvo
Thanks for the clip, that is exactly what I wanted to see.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 11:48 AM   #153
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep

I guess I'm going to find out how good the LEDs from AliExpress are, they started a 20% off sale this morning and they were already cheap. I bought front turn signal, rear turn signal (amber), rear brake lights x 6(red) and rear backup lights for $118. I'll have 2 spare brake lights so I will experiment with red turn signals too.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2016, 08:32 PM   #154
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Just ordered the reverse lights after getting my windows tinted. Hopefully this will help because the stock bulbs are pretty useless now.
Appreciate 0