THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Flash ECU to replace A/T shift lever?

06-09-2022, 02:51 PM   #1
PeterWT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M240i, AT, BSM

Flash ECU to replace A/T shift lever?

TIA for anyone that can shed light on this for me.

Background:
My ECU is MHD flashed and TCU is xHP flashed. I have a 3rd party extended warranty, purchased from my BMW dealer. The LED lights on my A/T shifter stopped working. The dealer would replace the shifter under warranty.

Dilemma:
However, they know the car is flashed and said that to replace the shifter, they'd have to update the software version on the car, which would re-flash and lock the ECU. And, because it's the latest software, I wouldn't be able to re-flash the MHD ECU software. So, they gave me a choice.
I told them to wait and I'll bring it back to them after MHD cracks the new software.

Question:
Do they really have to update the software to replace the shifter? It's just an electronic joystick. Isn't the replacement "plug-n-play"? Or, do they actually need to "code" it for the car?
My 2017 M240i: MHD, xHP, Modded OE Intake, AA GESi 400 CPSI Cat DP, Dinan Mid-pipe, M Performance LSD & Rear Diffuser, BMS Exhaust Tips, Apex EC-7 Wheels, M-Tech Front Lip, iND Painted Mirror Caps, Smoked Reflectors
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2022, 03:42 PM   #2
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Likely coding is needed as the gear selector has the GWS module in it. It may work without coding, but you may get errors if the GWS module isn't matched to the car.
Appreciate 1
PeterWT253.50
      06-09-2022, 05:08 PM   #3
PeterWT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
Likely coding is needed as the gear selector has the GWS module in it. It may work without coding, but you may get errors if the GWS module isn't matched to the car.
Thanks aerobod. I didn't know there was a module in the shift unit. In that case, the need for coding makes sense. And prior to coding it, the software must be updated on all modules in the car.

I hope MHD cracks the new software before my extended warranty expires.
My 2017 M240i: MHD, xHP, Modded OE Intake, AA GESi 400 CPSI Cat DP, Dinan Mid-pipe, M Performance LSD & Rear Diffuser, BMS Exhaust Tips, Apex EC-7 Wheels, M-Tech Front Lip, iND Painted Mirror Caps, Smoked Reflectors
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2022, 05:58 PM   #4
PeterWT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I email MHD to see if they had any news about unlocking the latest BMW software. Unfortunately, they didn't. However they did a a suggestion I thought was worth posting, in case it might help someone else.
They responded: "If BMW updates your software, you will need Bench Unlock. we recommend hiring indy/shop to program/code only GWS. you can check with https://www.bimecu.com, they can do it even remotely"
Appreciate 0