THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Alloygators

04-21-2022, 07:21 AM   #1
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 230 2020 vert F23

Alloygators

I have a couple of threads talking about similar subject......

So, I wanna go for the Alloygators... put asside the aesthetics, as I'm totally happy with that part. I've read every forum, watched every video and am still umming and arring, I wanna get black color ones.

So here are my concerns/issues and thoughts

1> Suitability: I used the suitability gauge and I'm good.

2> Runflats: You can't just bang these on at homes, you need to break the bead

3> Diamond Cut wheels: It's not 100% recommended due to trapping water and potential damage to the lacquer, BUT as I'm breaking the bead and NOT banging them in

I have a COUPLE of spots very small were it looks like they have got some small corrosion damage due to winter

4> Pirelli's: Apparently Anecdotal (only 1 post) evidence is that there not suitable and can walk off

5> Damage to bodywork: Apparently again coming off at speed is a possible myth

The other option are stick on types like rimblades

regards 3. if I have a problem I could get them finished I do have another good detailer.

any thoughts... HELP, there not cheap

I'd figure on $150 for the AG's and meybe another 150 to fit properly by my tire guy

I am alternatively thinking of rimblades (seriously)
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2022, 01:22 PM   #2
John in VA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

IMHO the owners that would use these & apply stickerz to their tires are probably on Facebook v. this forum. You might find opinions/info there. Good luck!
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2022, 03:05 PM   #3
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

What has putting rim protectors have to do with specific "owners" ? I have asked specifically about RIM PROTECTORS, is there supposed to be some snobbery with protecting your rims ? If so I can't see it.

This "IS" a sub-forum regarding wheels and tires, so fitment, care, repair, upgrading, is this not correct ?

One would have thought protection is better than cure.

I thought that Porsche owners where stuck up (one reason I left that fold) let's please not go down that particular rabbit hole.

Understood not your cup of tea, cool, your reply really doesn't help, I know how to search social media, that's not what I'm after.

Txs

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in VA View Post
IMHO the owners that would use these & apply stickerz to their tires are probably on Facebook v. this forum. You might find opinions/info there. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2022, 05:53 PM   #4
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

I actually got a pretty cool, well reasoned reply from a fellow BMW enthusiast, which was put into words slightly different.

see I knew it could be done, no need to be snobby about it.

I think I'm going to try Rimblades as an alternative, there cheaper and although more of a Placebo....

"It looks like brine would get in there, between the Alloygator and the wheel, evaporate and leave salt...I've noticed that cars with steel wheels and plastic wheel covers have their steel wheels rusted in a few years."

Txs all, I'm considering this closed now !

txs
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2022, 07:52 PM   #5
John in VA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazali View Post
What has putting rim protectors have to do with specific "owners" ? I have asked specifically about RIM PROTECTORS, is there supposed to be some snobbery with protecting your rims ? If so I can't see it.

This "IS" a sub-forum regarding wheels and tires, so fitment, care, repair, upgrading, is this not correct ?

One would have thought protection is better than cure.
Most of your posts request the opinion of forum participants. I'll refrain from reading & responding to your posts to keep out of the way. Good luck!
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2022, 06:08 AM   #6
yaboibooch
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 1971 Datsun 240z, 2019 M240i

People don't like rim protectors because they're ugly to most (including me). If you find yourself curbing your wheels enough that you think you need them then by all means go ahead and buy some. I'm not sure if you'll find a lot of information here regarding how well they'll stay on your wheels but best of luck in your search.
Appreciate 2
nazali1261.50
      06-12-2022, 06:22 AM   #7
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

I fitted Rimblades / Rimsavers yesterday, they look great and were easy to fit !
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-12-2022, 06:24 AM   #8
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

and I don't think they detract anything from the car, they are not even noticeable, so for the purists who think they are "bling bling" I guess it depends on what your application and color of choice is
if they are going to protect my wheels and hide existing scuffs I'm ALL FOR THAT
Appreciate 0