THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Introducing the BMW 2 Series Coupe and Convertible LCI Refresh Model

08-22-2017, 04:24 PM   #199
havinfun
Private
Rep
Drives: m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BodegaBay View Post
Congratulations. It looks like you're one of the first in the US to get the 2018 LCI model. I'm looking into a CPO M235i vs. just going for it and ordering a LCI M240i.

Can I ask a few questions regarding your 2018 LCI model?

LED HEADLIGHTS
- Can you please confirm if indeed the LED headlamps are indeed projectors NOT reflectors?

I am no expert, but the headlights on my 2018 M240i have very large/thick lenses (both lows and highs) with flat areas on the top and bottom of the lenses. They seem to project light in a very directed beam with a pronounced cutoff that is most obvious along the top of the beam. So my guess is they are projectors.

- Are the front turn signals LEDs as well or are they still incandescent bulps?

Sorry, but I can't tell. The front (amber) turn signals are so bright that they are blinding to look directly at them when on. The amber turn indicators in the side mirrors appear to be LEDs based on their size and brightness, but this is just a guess.

- How is the night time performance of these LED headlights?

Overall, I am pleased with the LED headlights: very bright and well directed. More light than the halogens on my last car.

- Did you option for the Adaptive LED?

No

LED TAIL LIGHTS
- Are the turn signals also LEDs? Amber or red?

The rear turn signals are red and much brighter than the rear red running lights. The LED running lights are moderate brightness and extremely uniform, almost creamy, with no bright or dark areas, so no suggestion of there being individual light sources inside. The turn signals, however, look like row after row of very bright but tiny individual lights. They might be LEDs given how small they appear.

SIDE MIRRORS
- Is the manual folding option still available for the side mirrors? I didn't see BMW USA website listing it in their standard specs.

Yes, my car has manually operated folding side mirrors.

DRIVING ASSISTANCE PKG
- Did you opt for the Driving Assistance Package for $500? I'm trying to understand what's the difference between the DAP $500 vs. Park Distance Control a la cart option for $800

I ordered the Park Distance Control. As I understand it so far, PDC provides a type of screen image of obstacles near the car. The automatic images (a series of lines surrounding the rear of the car) become distorted inward as you back close to an obstacle. There are also warning beeps. The same images appear around the front of the car but must be turned on by a button next to the gear shift. I believe the Driving Assistance Package warns of obstacles or lane departures while driving, and is not intended for nearby parking help.

Thank you @havinfun !
You're welcome.
Appreciate 1
      08-22-2017, 05:34 PM   #200
BodegaBay
New BMW Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by havinfun View Post
You're welcome.
Perfect. Thank you @havinfun

Your descriptions of the front headlights + rear tail lights were exactly what I was curious about. I've seen YouTube videos of the LCI model but surprisingly none gave any useful details regarding the lights.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2017, 05:42 AM   #201
SWBer
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Not sure if this was brought up already but in order to get the LCI hexagonal headlights you have to opt for the adaptive LEDs. Just verified w/ Germany. Another $800 but gotta have em IMO.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2017, 10:00 AM   #202
Toxophilite
Private
Rep
Drives: '18 BMW m240i xDrive: ordered

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWBer View Post
Not sure if this was brought up already but in order to get the LCI hexagonal headlights you have to opt for the adaptive LEDs. Just verified w/ Germany. Another $800 but gotta have em IMO.
Yep, just saw this too on the configurator. They are circular until the adaptive LEDs are added. Thanks for the catch!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2017, 01:05 PM   #203
SWBer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxophilite View Post
Yep, just saw this too on the configurator. They are circular until the adaptive LEDs are added. Thanks for the catch!
No problem. I was lucky to catch it myself before lock down. Car's being built late September and I would've been a little upset if it didn't have em!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2017, 06:35 PM   #204
BodegaBay
New BMW Owner
United_States
Rep

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWBer View Post
Quote:
I don't think this is true for the US market for the m240i. BMW USA specifically lists "LED Headlights" in the standard m240i spec webpage. Choosing "Adaptive LED" as an a la carte option merely adds the swivel + auto hi/low beams if I'm interpreting it correctly.

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...s/default.aspx
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2017, 07:54 PM   #205
havinfun
Private
Rep

Quote:
I don't think this is true for the US market for the m240i. BMW USA specifically lists "LED Headlights" in the standard m240i spec webpage. Choosing "Adaptive LED" as an a la carte option merely adds the swivel + auto hi/low beams if I'm interpreting it correctly.

Yes, you are correct. My 2018 M240 was ordered with standard headlights (I passed on the "adaptive" feature), and the car was delivered with LED headlights (which are very bright by the way).
Appreciate 1
      08-27-2017, 10:56 AM   #206
CE750Jockey
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 M240 'vert 6MT

Quote:
Yes, you are correct. My 2018 M240 was ordered with standard headlights (I passed on the "adaptive" feature), and the car was delivered with LED headlights (which are very bright by the way).
Any chance on posting a pic of your headlights? I too am wondering about what this looks like versus my '16 M235i's. Do the "standard" LEDs look like my Xenons is what I'm wondering. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2017, 03:12 PM   #207
SWBer
Rep

Quote:

So that's what I thought as well until the configurator went live on the US site. It clearly shows a change in the headlights when you select the adaptive LEDs so I investigated. You're correct that the 2018 model gets LED headlights standard but it won't have the hexagonal shaped day time running lights as shown in the LCI press photos. I was told by the dealer that you'll get the older round, "angel eye" ones. I'm also ordering a US spec one.
Appreciate 1
      08-27-2017, 03:27 PM   #208
BodegaBay
New BMW Owner
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWBer
Quote:

So that's what I thought as well until the configurator went live on the US site. It clearly shows a change in the headlights when you select the adaptive LEDs so I investigated. You're correct that the 2018 model gets LED headlights standard but it won't have the hexagonal shaped day time running lights as shown in the LCI press photos. I was told by the dealer that you'll get the older round, "angel eye" ones. I'm also ordering a US spec one.
Well that's an interesting twist and just plain odd of BMW. Thanks for the research! They've been clear as mud regarding certain specs for the LCI.

Hopefully @havinfun will post a pic of his LCI std LEDs to confirm the round angel eyes. (I personally prefer the angel eyes look.)
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2017, 03:49 PM   #209
bensanford
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Grey '18 230i & Grey '21 330ix

Since my 230i is now in "production," I guess I'm stuck with the older light surrounds since I didn't order the option. I might have if I had better understood the difference. Hope I also like the angel eye look.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2017, 05:51 AM   #210
SWBer
Rep

Quote:
Well that's an interesting twist and just plain odd of BMW. Thanks for the research! They've been clear as mud regarding certain specs for the LCI.

Hopefully @havinfun will post a pic of his LCI std LEDs to confirm the round angel eyes. (I personally prefer the angel eyes look.)
It is odd of BMW and a bit shady IMO. I'd love to see a pic as well. Hopefully I'm wrong (and the dealership) cause it would save me 800 bucks!
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2017, 09:29 AM   #211
Toxophilite
Private
Rep

Quote:
Huh well thats good! Maybe its just a graphical error then. You can tell if you toggle the option in the picture that the hexagons go away after removing the adaptive LEDs but glad to hear that isn't the case! Thanks

I almost sold my merc... soon I will get to order my m240i in sunset orange. I can almost taste it

EDIT: Didn't finish reading the rest of the posts... Either way, I am getting the adaptive LEDs. Living in Nebraska, you never know what kind of weather will come your way
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2017, 01:23 PM   #212
grizzzlyyy
Rep
Drives: BMW 220D

my new 220D LCI color "sea side blue"

Last edited by grizzzlyyy; 08-29-2017 at 03:25 PM..
Appreciate 2
      08-30-2017, 07:49 AM   #213
Toxophilite
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzzlyyy View Post
my new 220D LCI color "sea side blue"
Beautiful car! Enjoy!
Appreciate 1
      08-30-2017, 04:54 PM   #214
havinfun
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensanford View Post
Since my 230i is now in "production," I guess I'm stuck with the older light surrounds since I didn't order the option. I might have if I had better understood the difference. Hope I also like the angel eye look.
Here are more pics of my 2018 M240i. As previously mentioned, I ordered the standard LED non adaptive headlights.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
CAMOETO140.00
      08-30-2017, 05:05 PM   #215
havinfun
Private
Rep

Quote:
Here are more pics of my 2018 M240i. As previously mentioned, I ordered the standard LED non adaptive headlights.
Here is a slightly better view of the headlights from the front.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2017, 05:07 PM   #216
havinfun
Private
Rep

Quote:
Here is a slightly better view of the headlights from the front.
(Second try)
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      08-31-2017, 02:47 AM   #217
SWBer
Rep

Quote:
(Second try)
Thanks for the photos and the ride looks awesome. You're making me regret switching my color from EB to MG! It does look like those have the circular daytime running lights but hard to tell without them on. Could you post a pic with them on? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2017, 08:45 AM   #218
Toxophilite
Private
Rep

Quote:
(Second try)
That EB does look very nice... Now I am starting to be torn again between EB and SO! Did you get the Dakota Leather? Or sansatec?

I am thinking about the leather since I tend to sweat and I heard that the leather breathes a little better. What is your take on it so far?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2017, 10:17 AM   #219
havinfun
Private
Rep

Quote:
That EB does look very nice... Now I am starting to be torn again between EB and SO! Did you get the Dakota Leather? Or sansatec?

I am thinking about the leather since I tend to sweat and I heard that the leather breathes a little better. What is your take on it so far?
I have the Dakota Leather seats. I can't make a direct comparison to sensatec (vinyl). However, I just bought a "bonded leather" executive chair for my home office which is actually a man-made material with ground leather glued unto the surface, and although it looks beautiful, it gets my back and legs warm in minutes, even in an air-conditioned room. I never get that sensation from the Dakota seats in the car. The Dakota seats are probably a medium grade leather and somewhat stiff feeling, but they seem like they would be durable (time will tell).
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2017, 09:27 AM   #220
Kcordina
Registered
Rep
Drives: loading.....220d M Sport in MG

anyone else have any pics of the new 2018 model? Or can anyone point me in the direction of a thread/site that includes photos of it? Preferably with the 719m Jetblack wheels
Appreciate 0