THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications deAuto LED Rear Turn Signal, Reverse, Brake Lights

08-20-2016, 09:13 AM   #177
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT Mineral White M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stayreal View Post
Hey guys, I was wondering if I am only planning to install reverse light LED, will the car do the check up as well? or it does not effect anything, since I am only changing the reverse light. Thanks.
It will run a check still. When I installed led reverse bulbs I also coded out the voltage check. The entry was specifically for the reverse lights. Other lights have their own entry.

As a side note, when I installed the front led turn signals I didn't code out the check. I like the flicker on startup lol. They'll flash a tiny bit every now and then. It's not very noticeable, so idc.
Appreciate 1
      08-21-2016, 05:37 AM   #178
Thebush121
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 m235i

Anyone have the full list of what exactly needs to be coded out for all the bulbs? Reverse, brake, rear turn signals and reverse?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2016, 10:14 AM   #179
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebush121 View Post
Anyone have the full list of what exactly needs to be coded out for all the bulbs? Reverse, brake, rear turn signals and reverse?
Check the cheat sheet. It's in there.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2016, 09:49 AM   #180
Spydeputy
Brigadier General
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2015 F23 M235i/2008,E90,335xi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stayreal View Post
Hey guys, I was wondering if I am only planning to install reverse light LED, will the car do the check up as well? or it does not effect anything, since I am only changing the reverse light. Thanks.
Yes, your BMW checks your reverse light too.
Appreciate 1
      08-26-2016, 04:54 PM   #181
Nito310
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i

Has anyone done all red deAuto OSRAM led's in their tailights? I'm thinking of going that route instead of getting the amber rear turn signals. Any concerns or problems with going that route that anyone can think of? My understanding is that the taillights have a total of 3 brake lights, 1 turn signal, and 1 reverse each, along with another small bulb for rear fogs that doesn't get replaced.

So in order to do that I would need to order the following correct? This includes the front turn signals as well.

(4) 1156 RED BRAKE OSRAM LED
(2) 1156 WHITE REVERSE CREE LED
(2) BAU15S [SMG] AMBER FRONT TURNS
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2016, 06:28 AM   #182
Spydeputy
Brigadier General
Germany
Rep

Garage List
Rear Fog Lights

Sure, red will work because it has the same post, (turn/brake). But why?
My M235i has no rear fog lights, you should not either.
You do have an emergency braking light that comes on during extreme braking, I have mine coded to flash when it is activated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nito310 View Post
Has anyone done all red deAuto OSRAM led's in their tailights? I'm thinking of going that route instead of getting the amber rear turn signals. Any concerns or problems with going that route that anyone can think of? My understanding is that the taillights have a total of 3 brake lights, 1 turn signal, and 1 reverse each, along with another small bulb for rear fogs that doesn't get replaced.

So in order to do that I would need to order the following correct? This includes the front turn signals as well.

Appreciate 0
      08-27-2016, 02:42 PM   #183
Nito310
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spydeputy
You do have an emergency braking light that comes on during extreme braking, I have mine coded to flash when it is activated.

Quote:

I just like the look of the red turn signal more than the amber color. And yes you're correct. The little bulb I was talking about is that emergency brake light you mentioned.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2016, 12:17 AM   #184
T4455
Private
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
I just like the look of the red turn signal more than the amber color. And yes you're correct. The little bulb I was talking about is that emergency brake light you mentioned.
Yes you can, it probably will look more uniformed, I had the amber from them.

I will be installing in my m240i soon and will get back to you with more info with what I find on how they look.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2016, 03:58 AM   #185
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

I tried many LED bulbs to find an alernative to other over priced options. I decided on these from Amazon Prime, they are much brighter than the original bulbs. They don't hyperflash or cause errors in the car's computer and they're only $23. Per pair, they come with a 1 year warranty. I'm really happy with them, they've been installed in my car for a few months now.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._st_dp_summary
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2016, 08:26 AM   #186
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:

I wouldn't bother w/the LEDs. It's a lot of money and trouble if you pick the wrongs one for very little if any benefit other than lightening your wallet.

See this link for a look at the Phillip's RED LEDs...

http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1307601

and this thread for a front indicator alternative to LEDs...

http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1305939

Last edited by omasou; 09-23-2016 at 08:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2016, 07:26 AM   #187
Spydeputy
Brigadier General
Germany
Rep

Garage List
Hi T4455,
I have not been following to much info on the M240i,
but I'm guessing BMW still has not used LED's as stock bulbs in the M240i?
Enjoy that new car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4455 View Post
Yes you can, it probably will look more uniformed, I had the amber from them.

I will be installing in my m240i soon and will get back to you with more info with what I find on how they look.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2016, 08:34 PM   #188
T4455
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by masou View Post
I wouldn't bother w/the LEDs. It's a lot of money and trouble if you pick the wrongs one for very little if any benefit other than lightening your wallet.

See this link for a look at the Phillip's RED LEDs...

http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1307601

and this thread for a front indicator alternative to LEDs...

http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1305939
I agree and disagree here. I did spend a lot trying to find the right LEDs until seeing this thread. I think the brighter and more uniformed look of the LED is much cleaner, and since they also light up faster they are worth the install.

My current brake and tails from deAutoLED do not blink when they are on like other LEDs which is great, the deAutoLED reverse does blink though .

cbbplanet explained that the brake and tails are OSRAM and the reverse are CREE so that could be the issue with the blinking.

When I contacted deAuto about a year ago they said they would send me the OSRAM reverse but I never replied back at the time. I contacted them again and they said they will send me the OSRAM reverse and I will report back if the blinking stops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spydeputy View Post
Hi T4455,
I have not been following to much info on the M240i,
but I'm guessing BMW still has not used LED's as stock bulbs in the M240i?
Enjoy that new car!

I had the deAuto installed for almost 2 years with no issues in my M235i and now they are going straight into my M240i and hopefully they work. I will keep everyone updated on what is LED and what is not, but it looks to be all non-LED. The front turns are non-LED also.

I also purchased the amazon LEDs reviewed here just to see the difference but I most likely won't keep them installed because from what I can tell from forum feedback:

-they blink while driving (that would drive me crazy and my friends who drives a Honda will laugh at me like he does for my reverse LEDs blinking.)

-Another member said the amazon LEDs have been causing errors on and off so that is something that would drive me crazy

-So far I am only seeing one review with them installed for a few weeks so I'm not sure how reliable they are, if anyone has them longer than a few weeks please post.

I know many LEDs have been reported to fail after awhile and why I love my current deAutoLEDs even though they are very expensive, having LEDs not fail is a big deal even though they have a lifetime warranty it is a pain to replace them.

But if the amazon are brighter than my current setup I will let everyone know.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2016, 01:16 AM   #189
Gabrola
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340i

I've replaced all of my bulbs with LEDs from deAuto since June and today a friend driving behind me has noticed that one of my brake light bulbs is out. No idea since when it has died but it definitely should not be anytime soon. Luckily, deAuto has generously provided me with 2 extra brake lights and 1 extra front turn signal bulb so there's no need for me to order a new bulb. Hopefully that'll be the end of my worries since I'm always paranoid of one of my bulbs going out and never noticing it.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2016, 04:36 AM   #190
Spydeputy
Brigadier General
Germany
Rep

Garage List
Warranty

I had one brake light go out too. I just needed to send it back, and like you they sent me two back.
Way to go deAutoKey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrola View Post
I've replaced all of my bulbs with LEDs from deAuto since June and today a friend driving behind me has noticed that one of my brake light bulbs is out. No idea since when it has died but it definitely should not be anytime soon. Luckily, deAuto has generously provided me with 2 extra brake lights and 1 extra front turn signal bulb so there's no need for me to order a new bulb. Hopefully that'll be the end of my worries since I'm always paranoid of one of my bulbs going out and never noticing it.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2016, 05:59 AM   #191
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

LEDs flicker because the car is checking the bulbs, as far as I know they all do it. The original incandescent bulbs don't react fast enough to show the flicker. So don't drink the coolaid that some LEDs don't show the car testing the lights, the test needs to be coded out.

I'm the one that started the DIY LED install thread. My inexpensive LEDs from Amazon (Sirius) are going strong and bright after 2 months. Yesterday I coded my car with some cool modifications. I was able to code out the bulb check so now my LEDs do not show the periodic flicker from the test. I have never experienced an error code or hyperflash with my bulbs.

As has been reported, deauto LEDs have failed, any LED light can fail so if one buyer had an issue with one of the Amazon purchased bulbs, I'm not surprised. The point is they are only $23. per pair work great and have a 1 year warranty.

Last edited by AlpsRider; 09-30-2016 at 06:41 AM..
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00
      10-07-2016, 11:32 AM   #192
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
LEDs flicker because the car is checking the bulbs, as far as I know they all do it. The original incandescent bulbs don't react fast enough to show the flicker. So don't drink the coolaid that some LEDs don't show the car testing the lights, the test needs to be coded out.

I'm the one that started the DIY LED install thread. My inexpensive LEDs from Amazon (Sirius) are going strong and bright after 2 months. Yesterday I coded my car with some cool modifications. I was able to code out the bulb check so now my LEDs do not show the periodic flicker from the test. I have never experienced an error code or hyperflash with my bulbs.

As has been reported, deauto LEDs have failed, any LED light can fail so if one buyer had an issue with one of the Amazon purchased bulbs, I'm not surprised. The point is they are only $23. per pair work great and have a 1 year warranty.
Hear, hear, AlpsRider .

People, please do your research. As I've stated earlier in this thread and others, the ONLY way to keep LED bulbs from flashing in our cars is to code the self-test out.

Don't believe da hype -- particularly with auto lighting. There is a TON of it in the automotive lighting world, and has been for many years -- well before LEDs came along. Kool-Aid starts to taste nasty when it's proven to be bad for you. ;P
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2016, 02:01 PM   #193
T4455
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrola View Post
Quote:
I had one brake light go out too. I just needed to send it back, and like you they sent me two back.
Way to go deAutoKey.
Knock on wood, no issues with my brake/tails. My deAutoLED front turn flickered about a year and a half in and they were replaced quickly with their warranty.

My LEDs flicker on startup so I don't want to confuse or lie to anyone. But I never had any coding on my M235i and my deAutoLED tails and brake LEDs never flickered after they started. But my reverse did though. Overall I am happy with the LEDs. I will see if the $25 pair I picked up from amazon compare, I am going to install 2 on one side and deAuto on the other and report back with night/day/wall photos and I will see if they flicker on the M240i. I think the brake on the m240i are LEDs already but I have to look into it when I remove the housing.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2017, 06:52 PM   #194
MASHCT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2 MG

You actually DO have rear fog lights

Quote:

Yes, you & all other M235is in the USA have rear fog lights. I did a post on how to code to enable them, and then how to modify the switch in the dash so you can press the button to turn it on & off.

Click here to see them on. I did the mod & it worked.
http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showt...8#post20852678

Jim
2017 M2 | MGM | 6SPD Std | RWD | MP Exhaust | CSF FMIC | Active Autowerke DP w/ HF CAT | FTP Charge & Boost Pipes | Fortune Auto series 500 7k/14k coilovers | CDT Audio ES Gold Fronts & HD series Rear | Richland Forged Project Nurburg RF-GT4 Wheels | AudioControl LC-6.1200 | JL Audio TWK 88 | CF Goodies
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2017, 12:38 PM   #195
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

So, if I am understanding correctly, these are plug and play and require no coding, but they may fail occasionally? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2017, 02:21 PM   #196
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46M54325Ci View Post
So, if I am understanding correctly, these are plug and play and require no coding, but they may fail occasionally? Thanks!
If you don't mind start-up flicker there's nothing to code. I like the flicker for my front turn signals. I coded it out for the reverse lights. All of my other lights are old school halogens.

6MT Mineral White on black M235i coupe
Build thread
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 02:50 PM   #197
T4455
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46M54325Ci View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentZero View Post
If you don't mind start-up flicker there's nothing to code. I like the flicker for my front turn signals. I coded it out for the reverse lights. All of my other lights are old school halogens.
I had no issues with errors in the m235i but yes they flickered, friends liked the look and asked how they could code their car to do that and I told them it is the LED's I have installed. I only had 1 fail in the past but they were quickly warrantied.

I never got around to installing them into my m240ix though but they look the same.

But this is the LED's I'm referring to:
http://deautokey.com/product/bmw-f2x...e-turn-signals
Appreciate 0